posted by davidt on Sunday April 03 2005, @12:30PM
moderndayphilistine writes:

Official U.K chart- #11. Not bad, but surely deserved better! Top of the indie charts if that counts for anything these days...

BBC Radio 1 - Official Top 40 Singles Chart
---
Johan de Witt also writes:

After 4 consecutive top 10-hits, Redondo Beach/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out enters the UK single charts at number 11. Still, not bad for a live single with only one 'new' song.
UK Top 40 Singles - chartsingles.net
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • still, it faired much better than ithought it would [or should].
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 03 2005, @12:41PM (#156493)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
    • Re:so close... by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 06 2005, @01:16PM
  • it's a good entry concerning that it's a cover track. after all this crap talk going on on this site i'm glad there ARE people who support the single. it seems like most of people here are commenting in a very negative way.
    i, for the next pope's sake, am really HAPPY with the new releases.
    hooray!
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:42PM (#156504)
  • if the single should have missed the top ten by just a few copies i am tending to be a little suspicious that this is a conspiracy. my set of singles, ordered from hmv some days if not weeks before release, have not yet even been shipped.
    anyone else?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:51PM (#156505)
    • Re:conspiracy by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday April 03 2005, @02:22PM
      • Re:AirPlay by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Sunday April 03 2005, @02:52PM
        • Re:AirPlay by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 04 2005, @08:21AM
        • Re:AirPlay by goinghome (Score:1) Monday April 04 2005, @08:26AM
          • Re:AirPlay by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 04 2005, @11:24AM
          • Re:AirPlay by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Monday April 04 2005, @12:20PM
            • Re:AirPlay by goinghome (Score:1) Monday April 04 2005, @01:48PM
    • Re:conspiracy by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 04 2005, @12:13AM
  • I couldn't find the CD singles anywhere (and this was in Manchester city centre not in some small town!). I managed to get hold of the DVD but can't help thinking that if a few of us had been able to find copies of the single or get hold of the other formats it would have been his 5th Top Ten in a row.

As I'm now probably going to have to pay over the odds for these (apparently rare) CD singles, can anyone tell me whether the two CDs have different versions of Noise Is The Best Revenge on them? One version is listed as an 'exclusive session track' and other is not. I would have bought both if I could have found them in the first (cheapest) week (and known I was boosting Mozzer's chart placing) but I'm reluctant to pay twice for the same thing now.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @02:14PM (#156508)
  • Considering the competition for the top 10 spots, it did extremely well. I dread to think how many loony kids bought the Armadillo song which is mimed by Peter Kay (talk about sellout, it's like Johnny Vegas playing rugby, but without the effort and sweat).

Duet album next? I certainly hope so.
    Mada -- Sunday April 03 2005, @04:43PM (#156532)
    (User #9578 Info)
    • charity! by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 03 2005, @06:45PM
      • typos! by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 03 2005, @06:48PM
  • bad choice (Score:1, Interesting)

'Redondo Beach' is absolutely uncommercial... 'Friday Morning' or 'Daddy's Voice' would have made Top 5...
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @11:41PM (#156551)
    • Re:bad choice by LimeyBastard (Score:1) Tuesday April 05 2005, @06:43PM
      • Re:bad choice by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 07 2005, @01:15AM
  • Why would anyone want to buy this? IT makes me think we're turning Morrissey into an alternative Cliff Richard. You shouldn't have bought it as a protest.... if any other artist had the temerity to release a 19yo seminal track as a live recording most of you would quite rightly slate them. But no this is Morrissey.......

I'm shocked it got to number 11, which probably says more about the state of the British record industry than anything else.

I mean c'mon a live single? Theres taking the mick and taking the michael! Sorry but in my eyes this release is the nadir of Morrissey's career. I hope the extra 2 grand royalties helps pay some court costs- cos I'm gonna take him to court on deception charges...

Seriously this is Morrissey ffs... he doesn't "do" live singles. Oh but now he does? Corporate sell out. I hoep hes squirming in his ivory towers but hes probably too rich to give a flying f.

I'm looking forward to the Todd Terry remix of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore! Cos it ain't.

Still I'll be lining his pockets when I buy the DVD later so maybe I'm a hypocrite but live singles??????????
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @01:01AM (#156555)
  • Satiate the need (Score:1, Interesting)

I think it's clear to all and sundry that Moz's marketing strategy is now (more so than ever) targeting the under-18 age group who *have* to buy every single release of his so that their collection is complete. Comments such as "the inside of the sleeve is a lovely picture of Morrissey" cap it all. He is now no different to Madonna, Brittney Spears et al in that it is explicity and pertinently all about the money. Why does an 'artist' need to release various versions of the same track, especially one of Morrissey's stature? Does an author release various versions of the same book in different covers? Of course not, so why should a musical artist? The reason is because they know they have a captive market who will buy ANYTHING of theirs - the repackaging is just that, packaging.

While you are working away in your clerical jobs or studying at college, you are paying for a track that has already been released on several other occasions and in the process making a very rich man even richer through (his) minimal effort. Credibility goes out of the window which is sad, but like I said, the money is everything!!

Paint a vulgar picture?
    Grant -- Monday April 04 2005, @02:56AM (#156561)
    (User #1227 Info)
  • Moz rocks!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @03:37AM (#156563)
  • Come on, everyone, there's still time to get it higher. In my town, the only record shop selling singles had sold out by mid week. If we all go out and buy another copy (to keep in mint condition for our osfspring) He'll make the top 10 easily!
    Come on folks.. what's another £2.99...don't let him down!
    Nic P. -- Monday April 04 2005, @04:48AM (#156567)
    (User #13408 Info)
    And I want the one I can't have... and IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!
  • I wish some techno boffin would figure out a way of making the audio tracks on the 'DVD' version of the pair of singles play automatically in ALL CD players.

I like to listen to new Moz tracks either on my sterio or in the car. Listening on TV is not the same!

Come on Sony (or someone) sort it out!
    Auric Goldfinger -- Monday April 04 2005, @06:15AM (#156576)
    (User #3416 Info)
    Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?
  • Is the version of "Redondo Beach" on the single a live version or a studio version?
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @08:55AM (#156593)
  • Was anybody slightly shocked by the lyric in "Endless Succession" about all of the best things in life being behind glass.... Money, Jewelery and Flesh .... Does anyone love the Morrissey who sang these lines ... or does he just sound alot like someone you used to love ?
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @09:29AM (#156600)
  • i buckled & bought the dvd today from virgin in Caerdydd, it had sold out upstairs & there were only two copies left downstairs, this was about 2pm. If it's selling that quickly then surely it has a chance at the number 1 position in the DVD chart this week doesn't it?

Well i was impressed anyway...
    Keely -- Monday April 04 2005, @10:28AM (#156607)
    (User #13344 Info)
  • Is this single coming out in the US on CD and DVD formats, or only on CD? Thanks
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @04:40PM (#156642)
  • I was sure this would get a better position than #11. I thought the Smiths song "There's a Light..." would put it into the top five. Are the stations even playing this single? Oh well. Now onto the cd chart position. Somewhere between #4-#8 sounds about right for "Earls Court."
    texasbloke -- Monday April 04 2005, @05:18PM (#156644)
    (User #8721 Info)
  • the earls court cd is rubbish and to release both the a side and the b side (sorry double a side .....ye right) from this naff album is takin the piss.to think the moz acually wrote paint a vulgar picture...oh phoney
    antonhamilton -- Tuesday April 05 2005, @12:14AM (#156653)
    (User #13917 Info)
  • Live single (Score:2, Insightful)

Sell out?

FFS, it's a LIVE single. How is that a sell out? Oh yeah, cos EVERYONE does live singles, and they ALL get to number 1 easy as they're so great...

Releasing a live single is not selling out, it's a remarkably brave thing to do in many ways. When was the last time a live single was released by anyone? And would you all rather Moz didn't release anything? The point of singles is to promote albums, that's what it's for and that's what it's done. No money is made on singles these days as the sales numbers are so low, and it's not as if he sells that many anyway.

And Paint A Vulgar Picture is about the actions of the RECORD COMPANY on the death of an artist, not the actions of the artist itself :p
    mspendl828 <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 05 2005, @04:39AM (#156671)
    (User #11702 Info)
    I offered love and it was not required... what else can I do?
  • To all the nay sayers, I say f* off. I love this single, Im really hoping 'Redondo Beach' takes off. I think its a fantastic song, and for me a highlight on the 'Earls Court' CD.
    LimeyBastard -- Tuesday April 05 2005, @06:40PM (#156724)
    (User #13897 Info)
    • Re:Love it!!! by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 06 2005, @01:44AM
  • Looks like the top 10 is a hard nut to crack for Moz in 2005...
    Johan de Witt <[email protected]> -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @08:55AM (#156753)
    (User #4231 Info)
  • Which is the problem? That the song " redondo beach " this one in the top, many fans new exist the young people between 15 and 18 which they want to know morrissey
    they would buy this single, definitively it is not a conspiracy, I hope that the morrissey admiration lasts beyond of its old fans and that it does not die with them The round song of beach is single an old song for nothing a song celebration, the truth that the song I like by interpretation Morrissey ,it always shares what he was influences has done it previously with songs That's Entertainment - The Jam or trash of New Yor Dolls. until in the RANK presley is a song of elvys "(marie s the name), his latest flame" ,The lírica that wrote patti Smith is an excellent narration of suicidal love without falling in the melancholy with the bottom of music we say beach very single I like, the photo of the cover of moz in a cemetery with the shining sun with the guitar defines the disc in the cover.

I wait for this single coming out
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @06:54PM (#157057)

[ home | terms of service ]