posted by davidt on Monday March 14 2005, @10:00AM
Uncleskinny forwards the Provisional Schedule from Sean Campbell. Stephen Wright sends the photoshoot press release (Word format). Colin Coulter sends the press release:

A Weekend With The Smiths
Manchester
April 8th to 10th 2005

Over the weekend of April 8th to 10th there will a series of events celebrating the music of The Smiths. The centrepiece of the weekend is an academic conference hosted by Manchester Metropolitan University and entitled ‘Why Pamper Life’s Complexities? A Symposium on The Smiths’. Speakers at the conference include John Harris, Dave Haslam, Simon Goddard and Professor Sheila Whiteley. Further details on the conference are available at www.mipc.mmu.ac.uk

The other events planned for the weekend include:
  • The regular monthly Smiths/Morrissey disco at the Star & Garter on Friday April 8th from 8.00. For further details contact [email protected] or visit www.starandgarter.co.uk.

• On Saturday April 9th from 9.00pm there will be an evening celebrating the music of The Smiths in the Dry Bar, Oldham Street, Manchester. Headlining will be the tribute band The Smyths, www.thesmyths.net. Tickets available on the night on the door. Further details will be posted on www.mipc.mmu.ac.uk.

• Salford Lads’ Club will be open between 11.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday April 9th and Sunday April 10th for fans to visit the Smiths room. For further details visit www.salfordladsclub.org.uk or contact [email protected].

• From 11.00am to 1.00pm on Sunday April 10th Stephen Wright will be taking photos outside Salford Lads Club as a fundraiser for the Sue Ryder Cancer Hospice. For a small fee, Smiths fans can have their picture taken by the man responsible for the iconic band shot on the classic album The Queen is Dead. For further information contact [email protected], 01189 462665.

• On Sunday April 10th Phill Gatenby (contact: [email protected]) will guide a bus tour of The Smiths’ Manchester. The tour departs from Manchester Metropolitan University, Oxford Road at 1.00pm.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I've already planned - and paid money I don't have - to go and see Interpol in London on April 9th. I wonder if I can possibly manage to get up there on Sunday... I want my pic taken...

Dammitalltohell!!!
    Lady Swinkle -- Monday March 14 2005, @10:11AM (#154124)
    (User #12450 Info)
    • Re:Nooooooo! by sarah_janey (Score:1) Monday March 14 2005, @10:14AM
    • Re:Nooooooo! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday March 15 2005, @01:00AM
  • funny how many a Brit wanted to be "American" so they could come see "Who Put the 'M' in Manchester?" on the big screen....

It's things like this (among many others) that make me wish I was British...

You are the lucky ones (in more ways than one).
    sunday -- Monday March 14 2005, @10:25AM (#154128)
    (User #11904 Info)
    "a hundred other words blind me with your purity..."
    • Re:ho hum. by WhyteGrrrl (Score:1) Monday March 14 2005, @12:03PM
    • Re:ho hum. by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday March 14 2005, @02:43PM
      • Re:ho hum. by WhyteGrrrl (Score:1) Monday March 14 2005, @02:54PM
        • Re:ho hum. by wilde-oscar (Score:1) Tuesday March 15 2005, @10:57AM
          • Re:ho hum. by Kenan (Score:1) Tuesday March 15 2005, @11:37AM
          • Re:ho hum. by WhyteGrrrl (Score:1) Tuesday March 15 2005, @05:28PM
          • Re:ho hum. by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 07 2005, @05:06AM
  • £25... Jesus, far too poor a student for that, never mind the £60 they're charging for non tax dodgers.
    mspendl828 <[email protected]> -- Monday March 14 2005, @10:58AM (#154142)
    (User #11702 Info)
    I offered love and it was not required... what else can I do?
    • Re:How Much!? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday March 14 2005, @11:04AM
    • Re:How Much!? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday March 14 2005, @12:27PM
  • gosh - they're good!
    David T (different) -- Monday March 14 2005, @01:40PM (#154176)
    (User #256 Info)
    david_t[at]boltblue.com
  • I suspect that the write-ups afterwards of interpretations should prove illuminating: ranging more than likely from the sublime to the ridiculous! What a sexy absorbing curriculum!
    goinghome -- Monday March 14 2005, @01:50PM (#154179)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • Smithsneyland (Score:0, Flamebait)

Doesn't anyone else find this whole spectacle a bit cringeworthy?
    BBC Scum -- Monday March 14 2005, @03:59PM (#154208)
    (User #8427 Info)
  • This is well worth visiting just to see "uncleskinnys" massive face, it's quite a site and worth the entrance fee alone. GO BOOK PEOPLE! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    Anonymous -- Monday March 14 2005, @05:25PM (#154220)
  • Am I a big loser?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 15 2005, @01:42AM (#154240)
  • Definately going to the Star and Garter this month, not been in ages. Fell down the stairs last time, mind. Full of ale.

Any single fellas who fancy their chances with a very lovely lady should also attend because my friend Kerry wants to go and she's a bit of an eye full. There we go - using Morrissey Solo to whore off my mates - fantastic.

Oh, and ignore the above post. Manchester's candy floss and without a single hard inhabitant. It's all front.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 15 2005, @03:08AM (#154247)
  • It makes going to Uni so much fun.
    Lectures about The Smiths, who would have imagined that 10 years ago...
    This sounds fascinating:

Provisional Schedule
    Friday 8 April
    12.00-2.00: Registration
    Tea and Coffee will be available.
    2.00-3.00: Welcome and Opening Plenary
    Introduction to the Conference: Fergus Campbell and Justin O’Connor

Opening Speaker: Dave Haslam

3.00-4.30: Parallel Sessions

Session A: ‘Manchester, so much to answer for’

Katie Milestone (Manchester Metropolitan University) ‘The Smiths, Manchester and Identity’

Gian Petro Leonardi (University of Rome) ‘Refractory Poles: Manchester and London in The Smiths’ imagery’

Ellie-Varvara Stathaki (University College London) ‘Architecture through Music: Experiencing and Expressing Manchester’

Session B: ‘England is Mine’: Place, Nation and Beyond

Sean Campbell (APU, Cambridge) ‘“Irish Blood, English Heart”: Nationality, Subjectivity and The Smiths’

Tara Brabazon (Murdoch University) ‘There is a Light that Never Goes Out’

4.30-5.00: Tea and Coffee

5.00-6.00 Plenary Session.

John Harris: ‘Sing Me to Sleep: The Smiths and the Demise of English Rock’

6.00-7.00 Wine Reception

8.00 - Smiths Disco at the Star and Garter

Saturday 9 April

10.00-11.30: Parallel Sessions

Session A: ‘In the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more’: Class, Politics and the Kitchen Sink

Colin Coulter (NUI Maynooth) ‘A Double Bed and A Stalwart Lover For Sure: The Smiths, the Alchemy of Class and the End of Pop’

Kari Kallioniemi (University of Turku) ‘The Theatres of Memory or Radical Chic? The Smiths and Early 1960s British Kitchen-Sink Cinema’

Paulo Oliveira (University of Aveiro, Portugal) ‘The Smiths and Working Class Realist Aesthetics’

Session B: ‘Will nature make a man of me yet?’: Sex, Gender, Identity

Melinda Hsu (Meikai University, Japan) ‘Posing as a “Sodomite” on Top of the Pops: The Smiths and Camp Performance’

Cordelia Bradby (Goldsmiths College, London) ‘Does the Body Rule the Mind or Does the Mind Rule the Body? I Dunno’

Kieran Cashell (Limerick Institute of Technology) ‘Don’t Try to Wake Me in the Morning … I Will Be Gone: Subjectivity, Suicide and The Smiths’

11.30-12.00: Tea and Coffee

12.00-1.00: Keynote Address.

Professor Sheila Whiteley (University of Salford)

‘This Charming Man: The Smiths, Morrissey and Sexual Dialogics’

1.00-2.15: Break for Lunch

2.15-3.45: Parallel Sessions

Session A: ‘We’ve something they’ll never have’ Fandom, Reception and Memory

Karl Maton (University of Keele) ‘Last Night They Dreamt That Somebody Loved Them: Fans of The Smiths during the late 1980s’

Renate Muller, Marc Calmbach and Stefanie Rhein (University of Ludwigsburg) ‘What Difference Does It Make? The Empirical Aesthetics of The Smiths: How Do Young People Relate to The Smiths’ Aesthetics? An Experimental Audiovisual Survey’

Felicity Cull (Murdoch University) ‘Pity you didn’t sign The Smiths: The Smiths and Popular Memory’

Session B: ‘Keats and Yeats Are on Your Side’: Visual and Literary Style

Michael Calderbank (MMU Cheshire) ‘More to Life Than Books? Dialectics of Aestheticism and Naturalism: The Literary Sensibility of The Smiths’

Cecilia Mello (University of London) ‘I Don’t Owe You a Thing: The Smiths and the British New Wave’

Gavin Hopps (University of Oxford) ‘Morrissey and the Light That Never Goes Out’
    Johan de Witt <[email protected]> -- Tuesday March 15 2005, @04:34AM (#154257)
    (User #4231 Info)
    • Yawn :O by Anonymous (Score:1) Tuesday March 15 2005, @01:06PM
  • Bus tour, music night, photo shoots . .

Plenty of old Mozza rather than Smiths haunts in the shitty of London, isn't there? or is London dead?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 07 2005, @12:45PM (#156918)
  • well im from notts which is probbly alot worce.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 15 2005, @10:31AM (#154264)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]