posted by davidt on Sunday October 31 2004, @10:00AM
PerfectlyWretched writes:

ChartAttack.com
Chartattack.com reports how Canadian band "The Dears" caught Morrissey's attention while he was in Toronto and got invited to open for him in LA after he bought up their entire past catalog.

Full story

Here's a portion:

Only a complete musical ignoramus would deny that The Dears' melodramatic pop is deeply influenced by Morrissey and The Smiths, so The Dears' Murray Lightburn was elated and flattered when he learned that the Mozzer himself had personally chosen the band to back him up at Massey Hall.

Well, it turns out that Moz really dug The Dears. A lot. When we heard rumours that people from the Sanctuary/Morrissey camp showed up at a T.O. HMV looking for The Dears' back catalogue we were encouraged, but assumed that Mozzer's reported love for all things Lightburn was grossly exaggerated. It's now been revealed that Morrissey has put his money where his mouth is and is about to introduce The Dears to a whole new population of fans.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • id never even heard of the dears until they opened up for my good friends' band at their label's cmj show a few weeks ago. i didnt really pay attention to them while they were playing but now im curious, and jealous.
    Anonymous -- Sunday October 31 2004, @10:15AM (#134831)
    • Re:wow by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday October 31 2004, @07:33PM
  • I love their last album so much.
    Almost as good as Quarry...
    No, seriously!
    Johan de Witt <[email protected]> -- Sunday October 31 2004, @10:22AM (#134833)
    (User #4231 Info)
  • I've been curious about The Dears- will try to look for them on Soulseek or Kazaa to see what they're like! When Moz likes a band, he LIKES a band. :) I miss The Primitives, however. Okay, must purchase The Dears & Interpol CD's. Thank you.
    Colleen1962 <[email protected]> -- Sunday October 31 2004, @11:36AM (#134847)
    (User #12222 Info)
  • I'm hopelessly green with envy, though terribly bemused as to why Morrissey would enjoy The Dears. Why must Morrissey endorse such blatant copyists of himself?

You see, I'm shivering out here in cold, dark, miserable Edmonton (Canada's own Manchester) & believe I play in a much better band than the "elk" of The Dears. As biased as I am, I think Morrissey would enjoy us much more, simply because we have so much more to offer.

However, as defeatist as I may sound, my band will likely never receive any comparable attention until we move somewhere else.

For now, I'll spare you any further temptation to shamelessly self-promote. If your radar is up, you'll likely hear from us very soon.

Duncan The Chamois, or possibly:
    Hank the DJ -- Sunday October 31 2004, @11:55PM (#134987)
    (User #11519 Info | http://www.thefloor.ca/)
    "and when I fell on the floor ...I drank more"
  • Bought their album last week as well after their latest single "Lost In The Plot" was championed by the good people at BBC6 Music. Its a real grower and plenty of comparisons to early Smiths stuff but also if you like your Blur and also My Life Story (remember them!?) I can highly recommend it.
    Anonymous -- Monday November 01 2004, @03:23AM (#135029)
  • Melodramatic pop?!
    Poppycocteau -- Monday November 01 2004, @08:36AM (#135069)
    (User #9489 Info)
    We are ugly but we have the music
  • Do yourself a favor, avoid the Dears,... They are terrible live , I have seen them twice...Check out The Organ, They are fantastic!!!
    StacyM -- Monday November 01 2004, @05:25PM (#135199)
    (User #3323 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]