posted by davidt on Thursday June 03 2004, @09:00AM
Abrahán Garza sends the link:

This Charming Hombre
Morrissey's mad love among Mexican-Americans
BY JOHN NOVA LOMAX
- Houston Press
Picture by Joe Rocco

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Effeminate? (Score:1, Interesting)

I wouldn't call him effeminate. Delicate, yes. Nice article. Good caricature for a change.

Viva el Moz
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 03 2004, @09:27AM (#108165)
  • Since a young age and having a dad who played ranchera music all the time, I cannot see any commonalities between Moz and ranchera. I totally despise ranchera music and I know that is not the reason that I, being a mexican-american, am infatuated with Morrissey and his music.

Growing up in a hispanic family, your parents are usually strict. Of course, I think mine were some of the strictest out there: "You can't go to so and so's house." ... "You can't go to that party." ... "You can't have a boyfriend til your 18." ... and the list goes on.

Having to be tied down to mommy's apron during those oh so important high school years was no picnic. Having Morrissey's music was definitely a comfort in the suffocating world of my traditional hispanic family. I think some hispanics out there can relate to this, and honestly I feel that this is a more valid reason of why mexican-americans enjoy the Moz and his music.
    azraela -- Thursday June 03 2004, @10:14AM (#108173)
    (User #658 Info)
    *swing set girl*
  • i have nothing to add to that.
    suzanne -- Thursday June 03 2004, @11:07AM (#108183)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • I thought it was weird that the writer was equating being emotionally open and vulnerable with being effeminate and wimpy....Then citing this as a parallel to ranchera music? I haven't listened to any ranchera music, but it seemed like the comparisons put both kinds of music on a kind of negative slant.

To me, this "reason" also didn't seem to be the reason for the fans interviewed in the article-- I don't think they even gave a reason for their love, just examples of how much they love Morrissey. The article as a whole seemed a little weak.
    jeane-jeane -- Thursday June 03 2004, @11:45AM (#108194)
    (User #11409 Info)
  • The reason why we love Morrissey is the same reason most Mexican-Americans love: The Cure, Siouxsie, Xymox, Joy Division..etc is that we can appreciate GOOD musik amongst all the crap out there. Morrissey does have a certain element to his musik that most Mexican-Americans can relate to.. that is Heart and Soul (to the Joy Division context).. These artist, in my opinion, strike that nerve within their musik and that is what draws the attention, and that is why when these bands tour Mexico and the Southern Regions, shows are always sold out! Morrissey has Passions Just Like Mine, and is why I love his musik! Viva La Morrissey!
    TheMusikBox <[email protected]> -- Thursday June 03 2004, @12:37PM (#108212)
    (User #10659 Info | http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite)
    If You Like Morrissey.. Listen to Musik. : http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite
  • The article was pretty weak A! I for one did not grow up not being able to do anything like that one chacha said but rather the opposite. I was that bad lil phucker that needed some direction. N I ran into this cat along the way. Kind of disliked his mammadas at first but I liked it after awhile. Especially his work w/ The Smiths.."Shoplifters o' the world UNITE to takeover" No relation to Rancheras whatsoever by the way.
    Danse_Society -- Thursday June 03 2004, @10:46PM (#108273)
    (User #11537 Info)
  • Mexicans and irish are very much alike in culture. Examples us mexicans are migrant workers for the United States, the irish were migrant workers for Britan for a long time. We both have deep rooted Catholic characteristics. We also drink alcohol like no others. If you would go to a wake that was irish and mexican you would be suprised in how similar our mannerisms are even though we are on differnt sides of the globe.
    This kind of culture is also very deep rooted into Morrisey. He is an irish blood and has a great artistic ability to express his views on the world. We pick up on that because we feel the same way he does.
    We are as dark as he is. Listen to mariachi closely. Compare some lyrics from Jose Alfredo Jimenez to Morrisey. Its no mystery its pretty concrete. We love him because we feel the same way he does. We appreciate his non superficial ways in viewing everything. Believe it or not I am a new fan. My cousin has been a fan, but I really never listened to him until now. He is deep and passionate just like we are.
    I feel that he is no way effemanent, but possibly gay. Just because someone is passionate does not mean he is effemanent, if that was the case is Jose Alfredo Jimenez effemanent, because of expressing his true passions? I disagree with that issue. I am a singer from Los Angeles and ran across that article and this is my comment.
    -Reyna
    Reyna Moreno -- Friday June 04 2004, @08:07PM (#108441)
    (User #11543 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]