posted by davidt on Sunday April 25 2004, @08:00PM
Stan writes:

Today's Sunday Times (UK) includes their CD-ROM 'The Month' which previews six tracks from You Are The Quarry, plus a short review.

The tracks are;

1. Irish Blood, English Heart
2. I Have Forgiven Jesus (clip)
3. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores (clip)
4. The First Of The Gang To Die (clip)
5. Let Me Kiss You (clip)
6. I Like You (clip)

Each track plays for 30 seconds.

The review, by Mark Edwards, reads;

'Years without a record deal haven't dented Morrissey's ego; there's a song on here called I Have Forgiven Jesus, though Jesus has so far declined to state his position on Morrissey. And years spent in sunny California haven't dented Morrissey's love for the old country, as we discover in the epic 1960's pop of Come Back To Camden, "where taxi drivers never stop talking". It has become routine to compare new Morrissey records unfavourably with his earlier classics, but only the most reactionary Smiths' fan would quibble with the likes of The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores, in which Morrissey appears to be indulging in a diatribe against modern culture before dropping his shoulder and swerving neatly into a love song. Equally brilliant is How Could Anybody Possibly Know I Feel, which includes the line "Even I, as sick as I am, would never be with you." surely the definitive Morrissey lyric."

The CD also contains a number of promo photos which seem to be the same shoot as the IBEH sleeve.

I'd give you my opinions of the tracks but that's not really for the news section. However, I will say that The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores is FAR slower that the live recordings. Everything sounds wonderful.

---
nonesoever writes:

Six 30 second clips are featured on the CD, as Bluenose wrote here.

Download links (above) thanks to Girl Unafraid.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Love the first of the gang! I kind of liked it before but the studio version sound SO much better.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 25 2004, @08:11PM (#97689)
  • those all sound great! can't get enough of that line:

"I have forgiven Jesus for all the desire he placed in me when there's nothing I can do with this desire..."
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 25 2004, @08:52PM (#97692)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
    • Re:great by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 25 2004, @08:56PM
    • Re:great by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @01:07PM
  • Loved these teasers (but I'm drawing the line, no more until the album proper). Morrissey's voice sounds so..rejuvenated. His vocal on Let Me Kiss you sounds like his voice in the 80s, but with years of singing experience behind it.

Studio version of The First of the Gang sounds brilliant -- definitely breathes new life into this track!

Still can't get "You Know I Couldn't Last" out of my head, though. By the time he gets to Manchester the record will be out and this track will have the MEN (pun intended) in tears...
    king leer -- Sunday April 25 2004, @08:58PM (#97694)
    (User #80 Info)
  • very, very nice. thanks mozzy!
    VIVAMOZ <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 25 2004, @09:20PM (#97702)
    (User #184 Info | http://www.cato.org/)
    blame me! i didn't vote!
  • All the songs sound good. They all seem to have a somewhat mellow flavor, which isn't bad at all. FOTGTD seems to have lost some of its edge, however, and TWIFOCB is a bit slower than on the Janice Long show, but both songs sound good nevertheless.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 25 2004, @09:32PM (#97704)
    • Re:New Songs by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 27 2004, @12:29PM
  • no, not yet!
    suzanne -- Sunday April 25 2004, @10:12PM (#97709)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • is it just me or does the production blow?
    leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 25 2004, @11:07PM (#97718)
    (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
    True friends stab you in the front.
    • Re:jerry fin sucks by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 25 2004, @11:21PM
    • Re:jerry fin sucks by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @12:00AM
    • Re:jerry fin sucks by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @12:09AM
    • Re:jerry fin sucks by Elephantman (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @09:25AM
    • Re:jerry fin sucks by kimbo (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @10:15AM
      • Actually, No. by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @11:37AM
        • Jerry Finn E-mail (Score:2, Interesting)

He actually saw my post and sent me this e-mail:

I'm sorry that you are upset about the production. I'm a huge Morrissey fan and I only wanted to make the best record of his career. It was never my intention to remake him into a pop-punker, or anything that would compromise his integrity. He is very strong willed, and there is not one second of the record that was inconsistent with his vision. I can only hope that you'll give the album a listen and eventually hear what Moz, the band, and I had in mind artistically.

Your friend, Jerry
          leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Monday April 26 2004, @12:53PM (#97898)
          (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
          True friends stab you in the front.
  • Lite up a joint, went on this site, listened to the clips, and said to myself: "What an awesome album this is going to be." Hey if you smoke and live in the Toronto area, and love MOZ....well my email his there. I love all Moz's work, but it will take a while for the true feeling to be released. The production could just be this site....sorry david.
    Johnny R. -- Monday April 26 2004, @12:17AM (#97733)
    (User #10825 Info | http://hotmail.com/)
  • Delicious! (Score:1, Insightful)

Each of the tracks I heard sounds superb from the clip - my computer arsed up before I could hear the 'Let Me Kiss You' and 'I Like You' clips but the other three sound brilliant - 'I Have Forgiven Jesus' sounds like it could be sublime.

I like the production very much - it is crisp, clear and contemporary, exactly what Morrissey needs. Why should he repeat the production technique of 'Your Arsenal'? There are too many negative, backward-looking people on this site. Look guys, if you like IBEH the production's gonna be pretty much the same for the rest of the album. The music produced by Boz, Alain et al sounds like it could be among their best. Having Jerry Finn as producer won't change THAT. In no way do these songs sound like Blink 182 - come on!! The band created this kind of music for Arsenal and Vauxhall, it was just that Lillywhite and Ronson made it sound the way they wanted it to, and this is what Finn has done. These songs sound melancholic yet euphoric (i think the crisp production assists in this) - super stuff!

No, I believe this is going to be an EXCELLENT album.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @01:02AM (#97740)
  • Am I the only one who thinks the drumming on I Like You is just brilliant? It really opens up what I feel was a fairly stale song.

Also, I thought Jerry Finn ruined IBEH, but these clips sound amazing.

I've been worried, but with these vocal melodies, I can't wait to hear this album. It certainly sounds like it has a chance to be Morrissey's best work.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @01:19AM (#97745)
    • Re:Wonderful! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @02:38AM
    • Re:Wonderful! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @02:49AM
  • Sorry it should read "Six 30 Seconds clips".

Anyway, I'm glad everyone can now listen to the clips.
    nonesoever -- Monday April 26 2004, @01:51AM (#97755)
    (User #8448 Info)
    "... turn popular song into sickness"
    • Re:Correction by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @03:19AM
    • Re:Correction by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @03:53AM
      • Re:Correction by nonesoever (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @04:36AM
    • Re:Correction by davidt (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @07:55AM
      • Re:Correction by J. Razor (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @12:19PM
  • Between those tracks, and the tracks that are available on the official Morrissey site, we can preveiw all tracks off the new album (except #5). I remember why I love the internet so much now. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @03:46AM (#97772)
    • Re:Thanks! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 26 2004, @03:51AM
  • No "Mexico" song, at all? Not even a B-Side? Why did Morrissey tease us with it last tour. It's a very nice song.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @03:49AM (#97773)
    • Re:Mexico? by Elephantman (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @09:21AM
    • Re:Mexico? by Sonny Jim (Score:1) Monday April 26 2004, @11:54AM
  • All of the new songs are fantastic. It's unbelievable, but after hearing each of the samples, I must say, there is not one bad song on the album. I like this pretty mix of some faster and aggressive songs like "IBEH" or "I like you" and some smoother songs like "Let me kiss you" or "I have forgiven Jesus". Especially the guitar-solos are great. Overall my compliments to Jerry Finn, who produced a master-piece.

But another thing: Had someone of you heard the new sample of "All the lazy dykes" on the www.youarethequarry.net???

Don't call me paranoid, but in my opinion, someone has stolen a lot of the tune at "Last night I dreamt"?!

What's your mind???
    Micha -- Monday April 26 2004, @07:02AM (#97798)
    (User #6921 Info)
  • amazing to hear these...can't wait for Dublin castle on June 6th...there simply are not more interesting artists out there...Nobody has anything to say lately except this particular person...and even now in my thirties he still has as much swagger, swerve & poetry as ever....stick it
    ourfrank10 -- Monday April 26 2004, @07:14AM (#97801)
    (User #10578 Info)
  • I feel the Master of the eternally omnipotent lyrics has been influenced far too much by a certain manager he's acquired.

The pace is far too slow for anything Morrissey could have made himself. He's always been on his own pace, slightly upbeat and angsty, true testament to his lyrical sentiment.
    I do like "I like you" though. 'How could anybody possibly know how I feel?' is a pretty cool song too, I like the tempo on that one, it fits the song's venom.
    Mada -- Monday April 26 2004, @08:14AM (#97813)
    (User #9578 Info)
    • Re:Influence? by glam72 (Score:1) Tuesday April 27 2004, @01:15PM
  • From youarethequarry.net the sound clip of 'How Could Anyone Possibly Know How I Feel' is massively promising. The track is a quick jangly one and Mozza's vocal inflection at the end of the line "I've had my face dragged in, Fifteen miles of shit, And I do not, And I do not, And I do not like it" is absolutely brill!! Just shows, a vocalist doesn;'t have to go into falsetto to send a shiver down the listeners spine!

Not too keen on 'All The Lazy Dykes' - filler if ever I've heard it.
    JonnersB -- Monday April 26 2004, @08:31AM (#97819)
    (User #8247 Info)
    Would you like to note my inside-leg?
  • In agreement with the comment above, 'How can anybody' sounds like the best track (if you can pick one from such short clips). Not like anything he's done before.

I absolutely cannot wait for this new album. Could the album tracks be better than the b-sides this time? Definitely sounds like his best since Your Arsenal
    kimbo -- Monday April 26 2004, @10:09AM (#97842)
    (User #8993 Info)
  • ...but i think if "first of the gang" were to be released as the next single, it could be massive. that 30 sec clip is super fantastic-o!
    suededisco -- Monday April 26 2004, @10:52AM (#97857)
    (User #8691 Info)
  • Surely I am not the only one that thinks these songs suck!I have been a Moz fan for 15 years and had high hopes and it it all sounds so bland! Every song sounds the same (except for FOTGTD and I Like You). UUGGHH!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @11:06AM (#97864)
  • I am in extreme awe at these clips. Yes, I realize thirty seconds of a song is typically not enough to form a valid opinion. But, I have downloaded these clips onto my hard drive and keep repeating them. That is a first.

"Let Me Kiss You". Love the harmonies.

Morrissey's voice has never sounded better, IMO.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @12:56PM (#97899)

• Someone tell me those last couple seconds of Let Me Kiss You don't sound like the chords toward the end of I Know It's Over.

Huh? Huh?
    Nine Times Fine -- Monday April 26 2004, @01:32PM (#97911)
    (User #9704 Info)
    for haven’t you me with you now?
  • I recently used LimeWire (a file swapping system not unlike Napster) to download IBEH, and another song that was listed as "I Have Forgiven Jesus." IBEH was indeed the real thing, but "I Have Forgiven Jesus" was not.. In fact, I thought it was "The World is Full of Crashing Bores," but I think I'm totally wrong - it's a song that has that line in it, but it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT from Morrissey's "The World is Full of Crashing Bores.." The thing is, it sounds JUST LIKE MOZ singing!!
    It has the lyric, "will she ever call her lost love her friend / Oh, I know she will / will she ever be happy again / Oh, I know she will" ...
    Does anybody know what the hell this is? Is it NOT Morrissey? It sounds just like him!
    And it has the line .."the world is full of crashing bores and boys without style.."

What in the hell did I download??
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @03:34PM (#97937)
  • These songs are crap...How could Morrissey possibly know how WE feel. I'll tell him..cheated and bored of yet another shitty album! Give it up!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @05:48PM (#97975)
  • It seems that Jerry Finn has read some of the posts on this board, having sent a very gracious reply.

Well, on the off chance that he comes here again, let me say that I think the new material is superb and produced very well indeed - crisp, clear and contemporary. We should thank Jerry for doing his absolute best to support and enhance Morrissey's new record - so, J, if you are reading this, thankyou, and some of us are on your side.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @11:50PM (#98020)
  • now this is good coverage.!!!!!!!!
    even strangers at work are asking about mozz.
    (guess they've seen me wearing a mozz t-shirt at some time lately...............)
    so almost all the worthy papers have been covered , radio has been playing him, telly will follow and jon ross award winning show just around the corner........

if the single doesnt go top 10 it will be a flop............
    not that the charts are a fair representation of wot's good but it does relate to sales.............
    also 2 people in my local watering hole that think mozz is mediocre really like the new single.....which is great as he does need a larger audience this time around..
    Just hope it more than those 2....laughs.....

the music charts in the u.k. have been saved somewhat recently by a couple singles each by 'franz ferdinand' / 'snow patrol' and 'keane'
    BUT we cant really be destined for a load of crap by 'Busted' or Big Brovas' all the time can we.......??
    inlovewiththepast -- Tuesday April 27 2004, @12:40AM (#98042)
    (User #1028 Info)
    truth rest your head there is more than a life at stake here..she may well sell sanctuary but she'll also sell your soul
  • In further defence of Jerry Finn I would like to add the followig comments, beginning by making it clear that I thoroughly appreciate what he has done. I think the production on the new songs is great - Jerry has worked very hard to realise Morrissey's wishes, and those dissing him are arrogant idiots. Anyway, my points:

1. Why would Jerry want to ruin the record? It is of absolutely no interest to him whatsoever to screw up this album.

2. Morrissey has made it clear in interviews that he has no problem working with Jerry and that Jerry's background with Green Day et al did not bother him at all.

3. Morrissey must be very pleased with the production! If he wasn't he would have said (he is not afraid as we know to criticise!), or, quite possibly knowing his past actions, sabotaged or boycotted the whole thing. This is the production that Morrissey wants and is happy with!!

4. STOP whining about wanting Stephen Street or Steve Lillywhite back. Morrissey will not work with Street again as is evident from Johnny Rogan's book. You think Stephen Street would give the new record 'edge'? Fools! His production on Viva Hate gave it an extremely polished 80s pop sheen, much, in fact, to Vini Reilly's annoyance. The guitars on Suedehead are deeply ordinary! I much prefer what Jerry Finn has done, thankyou very much. As for Steve Lillywhite, yes Vauxhall is brilliant, but do you want another Maladjusted? (Besides, there are those here who have moaned about Vauxhall's production too).

If you really dislike Jerry's production don't buy Morrissey's record - but no, of course you will buy it, using the excuse "well, we want to support Morrissey" when in reality you can't bear to be without one of his records, and you will probably end up enjoying quite a lot of the stuff that's on there.

Right, rant over.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 27 2004, @01:29AM (#98059)
  • The First Of The Gang is just handsome. Really. And yet, the song is great, but with the new production... WOW ! A perfect moment of joy.

And Let Me Kiss You... it sounds terrible.
    This song is gorgeous. Dreamy guitars, wonderful bass, fantastic drums. Charming voice. God's words.

Morrissey did great stuff in the past. But never as now. This album will be, along with Viva Hate and Vauxhall and I, another masterpiece in his discography.

Thank you.
    Rudy -- Tuesday April 27 2004, @08:34PM (#98316)
    (User #10871 Info)
  • I think every portion I have heard of these new tracks sound fabulous. I always thought The World Is Full of Crashing Bores was the best song that we heard on the 2002 tour. The studio version is amazing. I can't wait to hear the whole album. I think the production is great.

[email protected]
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 27 2004, @10:21PM (#98328)

[ home | terms of service ]