posted by davidt on Sunday April 25 2004, @08:00PM
Manchester Neil writes:

As reported on youarethequarry.net, the Irish Blood, English Heart video will be shown on Popworld on C4 on Sunday at 9.30a.m. This is the first showing on British terrestrial television. The news item states that the video is directed by Roman Coppolla- anyone know any other videos he's directed???
---
russ.vicki writes:

IBEH finally aired on British TV on the awful Popworld TV show. My family and I sat through almost an hour of pathetic suggestive trash before they aired the Moz. They aired it as a World exclusive which was a joke, when they finally showed it they showed half of it! If anyone else put themselves through the torture of this programme only to be let down i suggest they complain to channel 4 as i have this is NOT good enough the man deserves respect not half a vid.
---
DanielGaunt writes:

The first airing of the "Irish Blood, English Heart" video was shown on C4’s Popword amid an array of piss taking from the two presenters of the show. Sarcastic quotes like “Morrissey, what a laugh” and “Morrissey…hmmmm” spring to mind. The video was shown but cut to a small almost unnoticeable screen for the last 30 seconds or so as the credits were rolled at the side instead.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • if he did infact direct the video....he's Francis Ford Coppola's son/Sofia Coppolas brother. i don't think he's directed any other vids, but he recently made a movie called CQ. not a good one either.
    mr. superinvisible -- Sunday April 25 2004, @10:10PM (#97708)
    (User #6367 Info)
    • Re:Roman by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 25 2004, @11:17PM
  • The show is supposed to be jokey. Everyone gets the piss taken out of them on Popworld. Sanctuary obviously chose to "premiere" the video on the programme so I think Morrissey can probably handle it.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @01:00AM (#97739)
  • http://www.mvdbase.com/director/C/rcopp.htm
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @01:30AM (#97748)
  • The presenters acted like dicks. I know the show is supposed to be jokey, there's nothing wrong with that, but they made it SO obvious that they'd been told to plug this song but in fact thought it was a bit of a joke. There was nowhere near as much piss taking out of the other acts, yet IBEH was far and away the best song on there! The girl was such a knob, she SO obviously thinks she's really cool, likes hip hop or something, and therefore had to distance herself for the sake of her 'credibility' from Morrissey (hence her really piss-takey 'pointing' just before the video was put on). The comment 'Morrissey - what a laugh' wasn't TOO bad, cos of course that's the stereotype and IBEH isn't a light-hearted song. But I just throught they acted like such pricks, as though they were superior when in fact I suspect a quick check of their music collections would reveal some utter dross! (I suspect some Ibiza 'club' music for the girl, R and B too, and for the guy a couple of trendy indie bands).
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @02:29AM (#97762)
  • Is there a web site/forum we can complain to them at because I would happily do so. Grounds for complaint include:

1. The dickhead presenters - when THEY have produced as much great music as Morrissey and fronted one of the most respected, original bands of the 1980s, THEN they can take the piss!

2. Not showing the video in its entirety - pathetic!

3. Leaving the video till last to a) gain maximum viewing figures from people who had tuned in for this purpose; and b) doing as little as possible to honour their agreement with Sanctuary by showing as little as possible of the video since they know it probably wouldn't appeal to the teenybopper audience!

PS, on a separate note, some band or other played a version of 'Solitary Man' - and it was utter shite! Johnny Cash's version is MUCH, MUCH better - and then the singer made some preposterous claim that he didn't like bands who were too pop? Well, what does he call that lame-assed renidition? Sorry, nothing to do with Moz I know, but fancied a rant! I suspect the two idiots presenting would have ripped the piss out of Johnny if he was still alive and a video of his was shown - oh, the guy your dad likes, or some bullshit comment like that, when both his and Morrissey's music kick the ass of anything they are into. I can't believe how shallow and crappy these pop programmes are!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @03:03AM (#97767)
  • Alert - sense of humour failure - alert! How dare they not treat Morrissey with Messiah-like reverence! He's a god you know!

Popworld take the piss out of EVERYONE that they feature. Morrissey got off very lightly! The two cynical presenters are the only reason to watch the show when we're continually force-fed a diet of manufactured boy bands and hip-hop lite.

Go watch TOTP - that's far, far worse. Corporate blandness to the point of suicide!

Agree with the complaints about only showing half though...
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @06:21AM (#97792)
  • Ok, so it might be argued with some fairness that 'Popworld' is a cynical show, meant to be jokey, take it for what it is etc.

However, this still doesn't take away from the fact that the presenters are idiots! Cooler-than-thou, up their own arse twits! Their programme is NOT good, it is shite. I would think this even if they hadn't shown IBEH video on there. As for showing Moz reverence, no, we don't need to be sycophantic, but ACKNOWLEDGING his achievements might be nice, i.e. by saying something like, he's back after a long break with a strong new single. What's over-revential about that? Come on, he was the only artist they featured with even an ounce of talent. If i didn't know anything about him I would still see that IBEH was on a different plane to the other stuff on the programme!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @09:49AM (#97835)
  • Honestly, I think that the show did more harm than good to Morrissey's reputation because instead of showing the video they had to try and humiliate him and make out that listening to Morrissey is "uncool". Although they gave Morrissey no praise, they did heap loads of praise onto Britney Spears and other acts.
    DanielGaunt -- Monday April 26 2004, @10:42AM (#97853)
    (User #6736 Info)
  • The Morrissey press release states:

“T4 - In discussions for the filming of a ‘special’ 3 track performance which will air throughout the campaign”- More piss taking of Morrissey is on the horizon, lets hope Morrissey is in the studio to fight back.

P.S. T4 is the part of Channel 4 on a Sunday that hosts Popworld...(e.g. the place where a lot of trash and repeats are put on.
    DanielGaunt -- Monday April 26 2004, @10:50AM (#97856)
    (User #6736 Info)
  • I agree totally with the above two comments. The person on here defending Popworld is a fool. First he/she claims that Sanctuary chose to air the video on Popworld so it must be good. Cobblers! Do you really think Sanctuary regard it as a quality programme? I rather suspect they were using it to promote sales of IBEH cos of course it will reach a wider audience than just the Morrissey hardcore! What is their job? To promote records sales - hmmm, wonder if this could have anything to do with their decision to show IBEH on 'Popworld'.

Secondly, Sanctuary have also authorised video/appearance on Top Of The Pops as we already know - does it then follow that Top of the Pops must be good too? Just a few messages up 'anonymous' says it is corporate trash.

Thirdly, let us consider 'Popworld' without reference to Morrissey. What is it that makes it good? The set? No, that's the usual cheap shite associated with these things. The music? Nah, even its defender says that the musical content of the show is cack. The interviews? They interviewed Busted. I rest my case. The 'cynical' presenters? Could they be the show's redemption? No, they are merely the kind of people who like to show off their 'superiority' by taking the piss. This leaves - well, nothing to reccommend the show!

Finally - this is Morrissey-solo. This is where his hardcore fans come. There may be other types of fans here, and that's fine too. But it's not very "savvy" to expect that at least some of Morrissey's hardcore following wouldn't try to defend the artist they admire!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @11:51AM (#97880)
  • 'cause it is just a trashy Sunday morning pop show watch by the under twelves (they used to have the Sunday morning hangover crowd too but at 9.30am it is far too early).

The fact it was on here alongside the terrible euro-disco nonsense is a minor miracle.

The male presenter is a stand-up comedian and having seen him out clubbing I would say is much more likely to be into Morrissey than Britney Spears juding by the club he was in.
    Sonny Jim -- Monday April 26 2004, @11:59AM (#97883)
    (User #6638 Info)
  • Guess what? There are people on the face of the Earth who couldn't give two stuffs about Morrissey. Some of those people are, whoa, hang on, under 30. They don't care who Morrissey is. Some of them would be hard-pressed to name one of his solo songs. To them, he's just a fat 40-something on the comeback trail. If you like him, what do you care? I like him - I don't care. I've never seen such a bunch of moaning, humourless nellies. It's only a pop show for Christ's sakes. It would be have been much better if they didn't show it at all. That would have shown him the respect and recognition he deserves.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @04:02PM (#97950)
  • I missed the airing of which I'm glad as that show is absolute shite and to see those two sarcastic tossers playing Morrissey's video and then ripping the piss out of it would have really riled me.

Yes, that's right; can you belive it - a Morrissey Fan, on a Morrissey Fan-site no less, being riled by that? Hard to stomach I know.

What I want to know is how come 'fans' of that particular programme can be arsed to come onto this site, when they obviously don't like Morrissey themselves, just to question why we don't like the show. Isn't it bloody obvious? I would say that is more pathetic than being adverse to some teenage wannabes slagging off Morrissey. Perhaps these fans should relocate to Popworld-Solo. There isn't one? But why?
    Truman C -- Tuesday April 27 2004, @05:39AM (#98085)
    (User #9412 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]