posted by davidt on Friday April 23 2004, @11:00AM
AstroSteve writes:

Saw this posted on The Register.

Morrissey detained in LAX terror swoop
By John Lettice
Published Thursday 22nd April 2004 17:04 GMT
Leading miserabilist and former Smiths front-man Neil Morrissey has fallen foul of the Homeland Security dragnet, according to BBC radio reports. It is not yet clear whether or the US officials involved had listened to Meat is Murder, or whether they thought they had a match on notorious Manchester terror mastermind Anwar al-Morrissey.

Morrissey is now a resident of Los Angeles, and was reportedly detained for some time at LAX airport. The BBC quotes him as saying that there was some problem with his passport, and that he was briefly suspected of being a terrorist. But he'll have been used to that in his musical career. And now he'll have one of those letters from the Department of Homeland Security saying he's not - but we doubt that'lll cheer him up much.

In related news, the European Parliament has narrowly voted, by 276 to 260, to reject the European Commission's deal on the transfer of airline passenger records to the US. The Parliament had already deemed the protection in the deal "inadequate". The Commission has constructed the agreement in such a way that it does not need Parliament's agreement for it to go ahead, but Parliament has asked member states not to implement the agreement in their own law until The European Court of Justice has ruled on the subject. ®

---
Name is now fixed on the Register site. Looks like they just pulled the info from the NME interview that was just published.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • lol
    Anonymous -- Friday April 23 2004, @11:03AM (#97273)
    • Re:Neil? by submission (Score:1) Friday April 23 2004, @06:22PM
    • Re:Neil? by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Friday April 23 2004, @10:11PM
  • MORRISSEY INTERROGATED AT LOS ANGELES
    Cult singer Morrissey experienced the strong hand of American immigration officials recently when a problem over his passport had him branded a potential terrorist.
    The British star has lived in Los Angeles for several years, but on returning to California recently, the former Smiths frontman found himself being interrogated by police at LAX airport.

He says, "There was simply some confusion over my passport and the airport police came down extremely heavy on me.

"Apparently, they thought I was a threat to national security."
    glam72 -- Friday April 23 2004, @11:14AM (#97276)
    (User #5468 Info)
  • It really pisses me off when half arsed journalists mistakenly refer to Morrissey as Neil Morrissey!!
    JonnersB -- Friday April 23 2004, @11:40AM (#97287)
    (User #8247 Info)
    Would you like to note my inside-leg?
  • fark thread (Score:1, Informative)

This was posted last night on Fark.

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=925518

Lots of Morrissey fans over there.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 23 2004, @12:17PM (#97298)
  • no wonder they detained him, if they thought he was neil morrissey, they should have sent him straight to guantanamo bay, never to be seen again!
    featherweight -- Friday April 23 2004, @12:58PM (#97314)
    (User #6542 Info)
  • My God, that is one lazy, half-arsed peice of reporting! NEIL Morrissey? That's so poor! Nearly as bad as BILL Morrissey from the Wiltern reviews thread. And then to make out that they actually know something about his work - "perhaps they had heard Meat is Murder"!! I doubt the journalist in question has, let alone the cops! Also trawls out the age-old 'king of misery' stereotype by saying "we doubt it would cheer him up" and mistakes the NME for the BBC!

Oh dear! This is someone who really could not be arsed to do their homework!
    Anonymous -- Friday April 23 2004, @01:05PM (#97315)
  • so he sings to cults now? HAH! "cult singer" a new label for him?
    nowmyheartisok -- Friday April 23 2004, @01:17PM (#97317)
    (User #4875 Info)
  • Neil? Who the f**k is Neil? I think you've got the wrong website!!!
    Pashernate Lover -- Friday April 23 2004, @01:32PM (#97319)
    (User #9724 Info)
  • They lifted that story from the Spin Magazine interview. This incident happened months ago, it's not recent news.
    Earl Graphite <[email protected]> -- Friday April 23 2004, @01:59PM (#97324)
    (User #2253 Info)
    Speaking your mind gets you in trouble every time.
  • I wonder if Steven knows that his identical twin Neil was detained at LAX. lol, Neil. Christ, how stupid was that reporter!

Cuba bound, baby!!!
    DeB of the Crew
    Maplefreak -- Saturday April 24 2004, @08:00PM (#97531)
    (User #1234 Info)
    And the songs we sing, they're not supposed to mean a thing...
  • I think this reporter should be interrograted by his superiors for the lack of knowledge of a music icon like "Stephen" Morrissey. Maybe the reason of not knowing Morrissey's first name is because he has been hiding in a cave with Bin Laden.
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 24 2004, @09:50PM (#97536)
  • Do any of you people follow the links before you start to criticise people? If you could be bothered to follow the link and read the article you will see that the journalist refers to Morrissey as "Morrissey". Will you now vent your spleen on AstroNeil? (and yes I know he's called AstroSteve). You people are stupid.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 26 2004, @04:51AM (#97783)
  • The "Real" story!! (Score:2, Informative)

I came across this on Sky News, today:

MORRISSEY BEHAVING BADLY
    Men Behaving Badly star Neil Morrissey was held by US customs officials for being rude and drunk at Los Angeles airport.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13071402,00.html

Wow, Nothing like writing a story and not checking any facts. But, then you might actually have to do some work.

The "So-Called" Journalist that wrote the story claiming MOZ was detained is named John Lettice, Who writes for "The Register"

Here is his e-mail address, So everyone can correct him on his false story.

[email protected]

Enjoy!!!
    Rich376 -- Monday April 26 2004, @07:46AM (#97807)
    (User #10831 Info)
  • MORRISSEY BEHAVING BADLY

Men Behaving Badly star Neil Morrissey was held by US customs officials for being rude and drunk at Los Angeles airport.
    Morrissey was taken into custody after losing his temper with officials while queuing for immigration checks.

He later apologised for his behaviour and blamed it on the excessive amount of red wine he had consumed during his first class flight from London.

"I was a bit exuberant in the line and I did have something to declare - too much red wine," he said.

The Customs and Immigration Department in LA confirmed Morrissey was held for an hour.

A customs source told the Daily Mirror: "He was unhappy at having to queue for so long in the airport.

"He was shouting and making it clear he didn't want to be queuing. The decision was taken to detain him until he calmed down a bit."

Morrissey, 41, had flown to the US to visit girlfriend Emma Killick.

The couple met while Morrissey was filming in LA.

Morrissey last hit the headlines four years ago when he had an affair with Amanda Holden, who was then married to Les Dennis.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13071402,00.html
    Rich376 -- Monday April 26 2004, @07:58AM (#97810)
    (User #10831 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]