posted by davidt on Thursday April 22 2004, @09:00AM
Jarvis writes:

The part 2 to Morrissey's Interview with the NME is out now in the UK. His photograph is in the left hand corner of the cover. The NME features The Streets on its cover. (or so i think its the streets??..) Anyhow, sadly the questions in this interview are no more interesting in this interview than they were in last week's issue... But if I do say so myself, the full page photograph of him is mighty nice!
---
Tom writes:

I have transcripted the latest interview from the NME this week. It can be found here.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Where can I see the pictures?

Did anyone here about the LAX incident?
    Maladjustedx -- Thursday April 22 2004, @09:17AM (#96979)
    (User #10222 Info)
    • Re:Pictures by cTheRiot12 (Score:1) Thursday April 22 2004, @09:40AM
  • Seems that Moz is best buds with Nme, but this inetrviewer is no fun. Also the mag has been much better recently, featuring a number of British bands such as Delays, the Zutons, the Ordinary Boys and Rozorlight. Much better than the Strokes and White Stripes which occupied much space last year.
    Ripchord -- Thursday April 22 2004, @09:20AM (#96980)
    (User #10581 Info)
    www.ripchord.vze.com - Have you opened your eyes?
  • Word magazine this month has a feature on the tracks for the new album and decides who Morrissey is trying to have a go at or who might get offended by each of the songs. Funny for about a minute! Apparently the same mag is doing a Smiths special next month. On sale May 13th, gonna be an expensive month!
    Sleepy lifeguard -- Thursday April 22 2004, @09:31AM (#96982)
    (User #4562 Info)
  • I would hit him in the face. He sounded so pretentious and arrogant. I think he takes himself a little too seriously. Hey, Moz, I thought you were only singing. Maybe we should leave you alone.
    moho -- Thursday April 22 2004, @09:50AM (#96987)
    (User #10663 Info)
  • Detaining and interrogating Morrissey? Good to see Homeland Security have their priorities straight.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:01AM (#96989)
    • Re:Ummm by suzanne (Score:1) Thursday April 22 2004, @12:05PM
  • JESUS CHRIST! Isn't the American psyche so Retarded to suspect anyone with ANY amount of difference to "the norm" A TERRORIST!?! It is very disturbing to know how PARANOID and LOST to the Truth the "average" American is to react so frightenedly to UNIQUE people. I guess when you think about it, the fear has always been there, but it sucks even more that it has been amplified to 1000% in times where there are only surviving bundle of UNIQUE people. Morrissey being one of these people :). People need to wake up and smell the Napalm, we are all as dangerous as "terrorist" in our OWN STUPIDITY. So why discriminate against good people? Leave the Mozzer alone damn it! At this stupidity rate, and in this world, "time is gonna do us in..."
    TheMusikBox <[email protected]> -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:20AM (#96993)
    (User #10659 Info | http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite)
    If You Like Morrissey.. Listen to Musik. : http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite
  • I thought the interview was fine if a little short in this instance. His answers were forthright as ever, he is always a far more interesting interviewee than most. I don't think he came across as arrogant, merely as not afraid to say what he thinks.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:38AM (#97000)
  • Free Morrissey posters in next weeks issue. Eight, free, glossy, vintage Moz posters according to the inner back page.
    English Martyr -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:47AM (#97005)
    (User #655 Info | http://website.lineone.net/~smilingontim/timstwin.htm)
  • Was that the reason the Canadian dates were cancelled back in 2002? it was said to have something to do with Morrissey's work visa ...
    nonesoever -- Thursday April 22 2004, @12:19PM (#97045)
    (User #8448 Info)
    "... turn popular song into sickness"
  • What does Morrissey expect when he doesn't posess the proper paperwork while entering a country that is under constant terror threat? In no way were his rights offended.

As for his treatment, when being questioned, it's not the job of the police to make you feel at home. I think it's hlarious that a cop even mentioned that he owned one of his albums.

Knowing Morrissey's persecution complex, and penchant for exaggeration, I highly doubt it was as "rough" as he makes it out to be. This is coming from a man who thinks stanidng in lines at airports is a completely torturous experience.

Also, his extrapolations on police handling in America, are also fairly comical. How in the hell does he know? He never leaves the house, or follows the news. Remember?

To have him tell it, you would think that gangs of rogue officers are roaming the streets with stetson hats, and rifles just waiting to shoot anyone. What a fucking drama queen.

I'm sure he's just pleased that he had a story to tell that adorns him with a hint of tribulation.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @01:17PM (#97057)
  • Morrissey mentioned that he didn't have any pets.On the Importance of Being Morrissey show he had a Huskie dog with him. I hope the dog didn't die, I'm thinking he just had to get rid of it.
    leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Thursday April 22 2004, @02:15PM (#97068)
    (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
    True friends stab you in the front.
    • "get rid"? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 22 2004, @09:22PM
  • those who think that Morrissey takes himself too seriously are actually the ones taking him and themselves too seriously.

of course he doesnt truly believe that Clay Aiken is worse than Osama Bin Laden- fookin take a joke. or can we never joke about those things? [unless we're American late night hosts]

im all for upped security, and if Moz didnt hav his papers in order then he should be delayed for questioning, but it does not hav to be through interogation and intimidation. theres more professional and thoughtful ways of conducting matters of security. idont doubt the questioners were heavy handed, and overly so, with their questiong as ive heard a million stories of it [inside and outside the US].

ithought Moz was indeed in top form, however the interviewer was not- hell they spent a third of the conversation talking about him and he didnt even seem a good sport about it. thats juste poor journalism. next time, NME should send someone with better questions than "name five crahsing bores".
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Thursday April 22 2004, @02:54PM (#97081)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • i have noticed that morrissey has problems with authority, himself says that he consider himself to be in the rebel catagory...
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @03:25PM (#97095)
  • Well, it's nice in a way to see him finally bury the hatchet with the old rag. At least it shows he's not the bitter grudge-bearing old hag he's often portrayed to be. Then again, who could blame him in this instance, although it's not as if he could talk to anyone else now that there's no Melody Maker and NME's the only weekly. I'm glad he didn't do half-measures and just avoid talking to journalists from there by being interviewed by Franz Ferdinand. The guy who interviewed him, Alex Needham, is one of the better writers there at the moment in the increasingly shoddy rag - at the time of the backlash at least they had great writers like Stuart Maconie and David Quantick. (For the record, the reknowned Moz-hater and all-round crap jouralist who instigated the witch hunt, Steve Sutherland, no longer works there, only occassionally contributing a glowing review for a shite retro-rock combo like Jet.)

Overall it was ok, hardly his best interview but reliable as ever. I thought it was very uplifting how NME have finally given him his dues, acknlowdeging how important he was in the history of the magazine "New Morrissey Express" and saying at the start how he was the best pop star ever and The Smiths were voted their top band of all time. I liked the bit where Moz spotted the interviewer's distaste for 'Southpaw Grammar'. I sort of agree that it's his worst album, but it's certainly a departure for him and I see why some like it so much, certainly more interesting and got more going for it than Maladjusted and Kill Uncle, in spite of the flaws.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @03:42PM (#97100)
  • love the nme article or hate it (i kinda like it), it's a lot fucking better that this month's half-assed spin cover story. without interviewing morrissey, i could have emailed in the same fucking article, but far better. jesus, how many times do writers treat their audience as if we've never heard of this morrissey fellow.

hey spitz, you're article sucked only a little more than your "smiths" book. go back to hyping the flavor of the month and tell mia that no one misses her "editor's notes" page - who in the fuck does she think she is? jane? fucking star-fucking whore, that mia.
    eugenius -- Thursday April 22 2004, @05:17PM (#97112)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • What is Jarvis talking about? The 2nd half way surpassed the first half.

So, I'm 29. I guess that means I won't find love everlasting. Oh well. No problem. My last boyfriend was very loving and affectionate, but the bond wasn't deep because he was also dumb, ignorant, and a loser. Not everyone can be lucky in love. That's okay.

I'm glad to hear Morrissey's commitment to animal rights has strengthened. I've enjoyed seeing him in PeTA magazines in the last few years. People really need to wake up and start caring about what happens to animals. I recently read a quote from a psychotic butcher bragging about how he tortured a pig. It was disgusting and nothing short of frightening. I'll forever be haunted by the imagery. Anyone who eats animals is either ignorant or lacking a conscience. Certainly not the type of people who you want to find everlasting love in, anyway!

Well, I already forgot what the rest of the article was about. Cheerio!
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @09:11PM (#97133)
  • Mayby it's more easy for moz to have a relationship with a cat then with people... he seems to have problem with that. With animals, you can always sell them, you are in more of controll i guess...?
    Anonymous -- Friday April 23 2004, @05:22AM (#97207)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]