posted by davidt on Thursday April 22 2004, @09:00AM
John, England writes:

Sanctuary/Moz/Attack/whoever seems to have picked a pretty tough week for the release of the new album.

Other artists releasing albums on the same day in the UK include Alanis Morrissette, The Charlatans and Lenny Kravitz who have all sold more albums than Moz before but perhaps their profile is not so high these days.

According to Channel 4's Planet Sound, Nancy Sinatra will also be releasing 'Let Me Kiss You' on May 10th, same day as Irish Blood.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I've heard nothing about Alan Morrissettes new album nor Jenny Kravitz's, a smudge of news about The Charlatans but that's about it.
    Morrissey On the hand, non Morrissey fans (they're quite a few) have been informing me about the new album, if they're finding out then the publicity drive is obviously working.
    "You Are The Quarry" is a number one album if ever i saw one, in the UK i mean.
    Stateside on the other hand, i'm sure it'll bubble in and around the top 30. Then again, you never know....could be his first top 10 album there.

Not that chart placings matter or represent the highest quality, still it will be nice to see Morrissey once again prove the doubters and critics wrong.

If anybody remembers the UNCUT article "Manchester's Answer To The H-Bomb" from 1988 in which the article was asking if Morrissey was over. This below is the final paragraph, all the Morrissey activity this year makes this all the more enjoyable to read.

"The question now is whether Morrissey can rekindle that talent while somehow leading an easier existence.
    Whatever will happen to Morrissey?
    "I wish he'd end up a chubby with a significant other watching Carry On movies with a bottle of brandy in his hand," says Grant Showbiz. "But I suspect it's going to be in a lonely garage with the poison, cos that's the way he wants to go out. He wants to go over the cliff in a pink Cadillac."
    In the absence of any word from the great man, the final words should go to Michael Bracewell, his friend and confidant. "I really think he'll be like the heroine in Far From The Madding Crowd" he insists, "where she says, "I shall be up before dawn and astonish you all."
    Lord knows, it would not be the first time.

Sorry if this was a tad off topic, moderate all you like.

cheers!
    CaKeS -- Thursday April 22 2004, @09:57AM (#96988)
    (User #10399 Info)
    "stop the world, i want to get off"
  • i'd hardly call alanis morrissette or lenny kravitz competition of any degree. as for the charlatans, didn't everyone stop caring in the mid-90s?
    eugenius -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:18AM (#96992)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • Does anyone know where to pre-order the Let me siss you single? And what formats are availible?

Thanks.
    Rune Rebellion -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:57AM (#97008)
    (User #10401 Info)
  • I kind of agree that actually these three don't really provide much competition at all.

Alanis Morrissette? Her time has long gone! No decent reviews since Jagged Little Pill and her last two albums largely ignored.

The Charlatans? Pretty much forgotten by all but the hardcore.

Lenny Kravitz? Hmmm, might pose more of a threat commercially, but hasn't had anywhere near as much publicity as Morrissey.

Now, if U2 or Madonna or Oasis were due to release an album, then the competition would be stiff (not that Madonna or Oasis can hold a candle to Morrissey)
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @11:41AM (#97019)
  • Alanis Morrisette:Whining Canadian Bitch.
    The Charlatans:And they would be who exactly?
    Lenny Kravitz:Didn't he used to go out with someone?What else does he do?
    O'Muirgheasa -- Thursday April 22 2004, @11:43AM (#97023)
    (User #7536 Info)
    Perhaps my best years are gone.When there was a chance of happiness.But I wouldn't want them back.
  • according to TOTP's website [bbc.co.uk]:

10th May

2PLAY FEATURING RAGHAV - 'It Can't Be Right'
    ALANIS MORRISETTE - 'Everything'
    ATL - 'Calling All Girls'
    AVRIL LAVIGNE - 'Don't Tell Me'
    FABOLOUS - 'The Is My Party/Make You Mine'
    FRANKEE - 'F.U.R.B.'
    GOLDFRAPP - 'Strict Machine'
    JAGGED EDGE - 'What's It Like'
    JAY-Z - '99 Problems'
    JOSS STONE - 'Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin' On Me?)'
    KATY ROSE - 'Overload'
    KEVIN LYTTLE - 'Last Drop'
    METHOD MAN FEATURING BUSTA RHYMES - 'What's Happenin'
    MORRISSEY - 'IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART'
    SCOOTER - 'Jigga Jigga'
    ZENA FEATURING BEENIE MAN - 'Been Around The World'
    nonesoever -- Thursday April 22 2004, @11:53AM (#97032)
    (User #8448 Info)
    "... turn popular song into sickness"
  • is the release date of "Let me Kiss You" a US or UK release? I'm assuming this is from the forthcoming album that Nancy recorded with Lee Hazlewood, although I've had a hard time finding out any information. Can anyone provide a link or more info?

thanks,

Lawrence
    LawrenceM -- Thursday April 22 2004, @01:43PM (#97062)
    (User #3228 Info | http://listen.to/orangejuice)
    "I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn"

[ home | terms of service ]