posted by davidt on Thursday April 22 2004, @09:00AM
Camden Girl writes:

This gossip item appeared in THE TIMES (London), April 16, 2004 in Andrew Pierce's column:

'Does Amazon know something about the miserable Morrissey, whose comeback album is out next month, the rest of us do not? Amazon listed Saint Morrissey, a new book about the Smiths’ frontman, in the gay and lesbian category. Mark Simpson, the author, wrote to Amazon to protest: “Saint Morrissey is not a gay book, the vast majority of the people interested in it are not gay, and Morrissey has said he is not gay, or even lesbian.” '
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • hope they'll move it into "Crime, Thrillers & Mystery" now.

-----
    Orlando Lasso
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:37AM (#96999)
  • maybe they'll put it in Catholicism.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @11:24AM (#97015)
  • Not gay or lesbian??? What the heck is he straight or what?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @11:42AM (#97021)
  • morrissey LOVES the cock

(this was a jay and silent bob reference not meant to be ugly)
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @12:10PM (#97040)
  • FROM the website of Etihad Airways, a new Arab carrier flying to London, as part of its description of English culture: “England’s greatest artistic contributions have come in the fields of theatre, literature and architecture. Anyone who has studied English literature at school will remember ploughing through Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dickens and Morrissey, and . . no one can deny England’s formidable contribution to the Western literary canon.” Morrissey? It seems that whoever designed the website was a Smiths fan.

That's at least four Morrissey items in this (non music) gossip column recently.
    Benton -- Thursday April 22 2004, @03:58PM (#97105)
    (User #7241 Info)
  • I think Simpson's response is slightly disingenuous. Some thoughts:

First, I'm not sure what a "GAY BOOK" is.. a book that likes other books? Surely Morrissey talks a lot about man on man realtionships/sex, which is pretty gay if you ask me. Can anyone dispute this?

Second, "the vast majority of people interested in it are not gay": Ok, maybe. But I'd bet any amount of money that the percentage of gay to straight readers is much higher than that of the general population. I'd bet the majority of the people who saw Boys Don't Cry were straight, but I'm also pretty sure that movie has a gay theme.

Third, "Morrissey has said he's not gay." Oh, please. If you're a guy who sucks dick, you're gay. Period.

Signed gay and proud,
    jypu -- Thursday April 22 2004, @04:14PM (#97108)
    (User #348 Info)
    • Re:Hmmmm by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 23 2004, @05:13AM
  • the good people at barnes & noble informed me that it is placed in that particular category due to the fact that mr.simpleton's, excuse me simpson's, other literary works have all been in that genre.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 22 2004, @10:11PM (#97139)
  • Simpson is an untalented and shameless self-publicist. Don't buy the book - it was a waste of £18 as far I was concerened. It is not so much about Morrissey as it is about the self-absorbed Simpson himself, and therefore it is a gay book. Simpson spends most of it harping on about his sexuality.
    JonnersB -- Friday April 23 2004, @07:44AM (#97225)
    (User #8247 Info)
    Would you like to note my inside-leg?
  • What the hell is with the "Morrissey being gay" bit!?! Why aren't these people smart enought to realize that he flaunts on sexuallity as a mockery, and is not to be taken literally! Just goes to show you how naive and retarded some poeple can be to believe him on that. Trying to understand an enigma like Morrissey, is like trying to understand "why people love to create blasphemous rumours".
    TheMusikBox <[email protected]> -- Friday April 23 2004, @11:31AM (#97281)
    (User #10659 Info | http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite)
    If You Like Morrissey.. Listen to Musik. : http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite

[ home | terms of service ]