posted by davidt on Tuesday April 20 2004, @02:00AM
Lazy Dyke writes:

Following on from the updates to the US site, it seems like Morrissey is set to take over the whole of the World Wide Web.

The official UK site www.youarethequarry.net has just been launched and includes 1-minute sound files from 3 tracks from the album. More will be added over the coming weeks. There's also lyrics too. Well worth checking out.

On the news page there are some email address for Radio One djs. Drop them a line to request they play Irish Blood. Don't know if it'll work, but must be worth a try. Let's get the Moz back on the radio.

---
goodbye_a_go_go also writes:

...to access the audio page you just add you email address and then you will be given the password staright after.

the tracks are as follows:

2. Irish Blood, English Heart
3. Come Back To Camden
12. You Know I Couldn't Last

the tracks sound great and it really looks like the album will be as great as anticipated.

---
body by cake also writes:

...This is an official Morrissey site, so don't feel guilty about downloading. Here's the story on the NME website: Morrissey joins the modern age.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • "Come Back To Camden" sounds amazing! especially when he goes falsetto...wow!
    NIcky's Cousin -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @02:13AM (#96428)
    (User #7181 Info)
    ...first day with the jar...
    • Re:I Just Can't Wait... by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 20 2004, @02:19AM
      • Re:I Just Can't Wait... by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 20 2004, @03:13AM
      • Re:I Just Can't Wait... by JonnersB (Score:1) Tuesday April 20 2004, @03:22AM
      • I am getting REALLY sick of these people (usually anonymous) who just seem determined to be negative and critical of everything connected to Morrissey righty now. It totally amazes me why you even come to this site - so far I've seen criticism of the album cover (why?) the lyrical snippets (why??) the songs (dammit - why???).

I always thought Moz's fans were a little too easily-pleased and lapped up anything he put out. Now, it seems, there is a far more distressting number who seem determined to dump on literally everything he does. I'm not blind to the man's faults, but I am very optimistic about the new album. In fact, I'm just delighted he has a new album out next month, when for a while there, it looked like he'd never release any new material again. I really don't understand why you come on this site or call yourselves fans.

Please, just let us be happy and excited about this year, which is turning out to be something of a Moz-fest, which I never dreamed would happen again. And the new lyrics look great - I'm not going to listen to the snippets, as I want to save that for when I get the album. Have a nice day!
        gonzo -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @04:40AM (#96453)
        (User #335 Info)
        Scene, but not herd
    • Re: Obviously by nonesoever (Score:1) Tuesday April 20 2004, @04:09AM
      • Re: Obviously by JonnersB (Score:1) Tuesday April 20 2004, @05:57AM
        • Re: Obviously by JonnersB (Score:1) Tuesday April 20 2004, @06:05AM
  • I hadn't seen the album cover, and was thinking "I wonder if they're going to downplay the machine gun on the 'Attack' logo."
    Then I saw the cover. Nope, doesn't look like they're going to downplay it really that much at all.
    Great photo of Moz though! Isn't he grand.
    fontor -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @02:23AM (#96432)
    (User #269 Info | http://goodreasonblog.blogspot.com/)
  • Camden sounds amazing!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @02:50AM (#96437)
  • as well as the audio clips, the full lyrics are posted for each song [that has an audio clips- IBEH, CBTC, YKICL] which ifound far more satisfying than a high-jacked minute from the middle of each of song. the lyrics will continue to be posted 3 a week along with the audio clips.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @02:57AM (#96440)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • And I can hardly believe the first comments I read about the "forced" voice and the falsetto issue. I think like me people who've been listening to Morrissey for 20 years were disappointed that he actually gave up this kind of singing since... well, the "Here is London" line sung live in We'll Let You Know during the Your Arsenal Tour ! The ballads sound beautiful, very English too and indeed a step away from the single IBEH. As far as I'm concerned, Morrissy is back to one of the things he does best : deep, heartfelt, quitessentially english, emotional -and perhaps a bit desperate- ballads. In case you haven't noticed, optimism is not the main character of Morrissey's persona. I found those songs just fantastic, I just forgot how his voice deeply moved me.

On my very personal opinion, people who started listening to Morrissey recently (which means : from the Your Arsenal period to me) might not appreciate YATQ as much as older fans will ;-)
    Retired Whore <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @04:39AM (#96452)
    (User #3238 Info)
    Sweet F.A.
  • ...just so more people read it...

I am getting REALLY sick of these people (usually anonymous) who just seem determined to be negative and critical of everything connected to Morrissey righty now. It totally amazes me why you even come to this site - so far I've seen criticism of the album cover (why?) the lyrical snippets (why??) the songs (dammit - why???).

I always thought Moz's fans were a little too easily-pleased and lapped up anything he put out. Now, it seems, there is a far more distressting number who seem determined to dump on literally everything he does. I'm not blind to the man's faults, but I am very optimistic about the new album. In fact, I'm just delighted he has a new album out next month, when for a while there, it looked like he'd never release any new material again. I really don't understand why you come on this site or call yourselves fans.

Please, just let us be happy and excited about this year, which is turning out to be something of a Moz-fest, which I never dreamed would happen again. And the new lyrics look great - I'm not going to listen to the snippets, as I want to save that for when I get the album. Have a nice day!
    gonzo -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @04:44AM (#96454)
    (User #335 Info)
    Scene, but not herd
  • Even when I promised myself not to download a single track from the forthcoming album I just gave up and I'm listening to those snippets in the middle of the office.
    What to say? Maybe 1-minute clips are not enough in order to make a final judgment on YATQ, but I sense some kind of "epic" spirit all over those tracks, particularly on "You Know I Couldn't Last".
    Not sure if this will be another V&I as some people said, but there's no doubt that it will put Moz on the P!O!P! Map once again.
    charles byron <{boy_afraid} {at} {hotmail.com}> -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @05:29AM (#96461)
    (User #49 Info)
    life without my sweetheart is only half a life
  • I've found that japan HMV web site, japan fomat
    cd is 13 songs, it will release
    9/june/04

japan cd
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1870192

usa cd
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1861716

Different Cover
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001WAO5S/qid=1082466852/sr=1-23/ref=s r_1_2_23/249-6170578-2473917
    http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B0001WAO5S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @06:14AM (#96474)
  • I really like the look of this site over the American one--it seems more "gothic" and Moz-like. The American version just feels like they're selling us pop-tarts.

Although it's great to finally have some official Morrissey info online, not to mention audio, am I alone in thinking that it was slightly cooler when Morrissey was the only animal, mineral or vegetable on earth that didn't have its own webpage? There are fantastic fan sites that cater to his followers and I'm sure his people have dropped info on them in the past. But maybe I just have Luddite leanings.

--er, excuse me, my mobile's ringing.
    Susan Vance -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @06:29AM (#96477)
    (User #10744 Info)
    "Johnny, don't point that gun at me, there's so many ways our lives have changed, but please I beg don't do this to me"
  • In the Audio page of MorrisseyMusic.com there's a link to a lo-fi version of CBTC, but the link doesn't work... Keep an eye out, as it might mean it's going up there in the next hour or so!
    reeling_around -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @06:38AM (#96481)
    (User #10007 Info | http://www.ephemerisrock.com/)
    ----------------------- Dreaming of a better yesterday
  • Absolutely.... fantastic. His voice is sounding remarkable.
    Useful or Useless -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @07:20AM (#96486)
    (User #10002 Info)
  • Just want to make a few comments about what has been said so far in regard to the 'clips' of these songs on the web site. I have not downloaded them because i don't have the equipment to do so, and also because i don't want to - I want to hear them fully, for the first time, in the context of the album. But i don't think i need to have heard the tracks to say the following:

1. Those people who said that this is a forum to express opinions are totally right, anyone can say whatever they like, good or bad - this is what this site is for. Sycophancy is pointless and doesn't need a web site!

2. On the other hand, criticisms of 'Camden' and 'Couldn't Last' as not being "what you expect" from a Morrissey album, and therefore no good because they are too 'ballady', are highly narrow minded. Yes, that's your opinion, and yes, you have a right to it, but in no way is Morrissey obliged, as an artist, to produce "what you want", and quite frankly, i think an album of purely up-tembo numbers would be just as dull,lacking the texture and depth of an album where tempo is carefully mixed. Morrissey no doubt knows that slower, more introspective material provide an excellent counterpoint to the faster stuff - it is the judicious use of both that often provides the best listening experience - hence the excellence of 'Your Arsenal', where 'We'll Let You Know', 'Certain People I Know' and 'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' are well interspersed with the heavier material. No one is saying you HAVE to like Camden and Couldn't Last, but come on, to criticise them just because they are slower numbers and don't fit in to your preconceived notion of what a Morrissey song should be seems slightly redundant.

3. You know I Couldn't Last is 'syrupy'? Well, i'll take your word for it, but the descriptions of it in the press suggest anything but! 'Please Release Me' is syrupy - Morrissey's work, even at its worst, generally not. The closest he has got to this is probably with 'Interlude', to which I think he was entirely unsuited.

4. No one has said that Quarry will definitely be another Vauxhall, we're (I'm) merely hoping!!

5. Why do some people want Morrissey to replicate what he's done in the past over and over again? Why does he have to make 'Your Arsenal' again?First, some were horrified by the idea of an "acid-house synth" on 'I Like You', others disliked the idea of breakbeats etc - what?? If they work, they work, and that's all that counts. Have an open mind! Yes, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are excellent, but i don't want to hear another Morrissey record exactly like either of them again. Merely another Morrissey record of that QUALITY. I agree that Morrissey would sound ridiculous doing a house record or something, but within the framework of his chosen medium he has decided to incorporate some new elements - and that's great.

5. Why, Jonners, are you so surprised that many people think this album will be great? We haven't heard it yet, we can only go on what the press have said so far - and they have, in the vast majority, stated that it is, overall, a great piece of work. Of course only time will tell - but to say that it must be a 'mixed bag' because all his previous albums are is nonsense! Firstly, that's your opinion only - i think that Arsenal and Vauxhall are, with the exception of a couple of tracks, very consistent indeed. Secondly, his previous work is separate from this new album, which should be judged on its own merits.

6. I agree that we shouldn't be sycophantic and afraid to criticise on this forum if that's what we want to express. I am NOT the kind of fan who loves EVERYTHING Morrissey has ever done. I genuinely think his Smiths work was utterly superb, particularly Hatful of Hollow, Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead (unsurpassed), possibly my favourite album ever. I think Viva Hate has a couple of good songs but is largely inconsistent and I think Kill Uncle is rubbish. Nor do I rate Bona Drag as highly as some - yes, there are some great tracks on there (Picadd
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @07:56AM (#96493)
  • These critical bastards! I can't even get the tunes!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @07:57AM (#96495)

• Paste this into a browser and windows media can play it. Its the first minute of the song rather than a minute from the middle like the clip on youarethequarry.net

http://www.morrisseymusic.com/multimedia/audio/camdenlo.asx
    bored -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @08:16AM (#96502)
    (User #8415 Info)
  • 'camden' sounds like a reject from maladjusted, yet 'you know i couldnt last last' is quite nice! (plus irish blood just rules)
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @09:03AM (#96516)
  • I had these on loop last night and I couldn't be any more pleased. His voice sounds as strong and hypnotic as ever. I Love how he so easily slips into falsetto on Camden and after hearing the first minute just now from the post above I'm sure this will be one of my favorite tracks on the cd.
    The way he sings 'so don't let the blue, the blue eyes fool you' on YKICL is gut-wrenchingly beautiful and it's great how the song seems to pick up speed.
    I wasn't going to cheat and download anything if it became available before the 18th but these are only previews and I'm glad I did, it's put my mind at ease and I'm more excited then ever now to hear the whole cd.
    ScottyK -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @10:25AM (#96536)
    (User #7165 Info)
    Meet me in the alley
  • Strange, but the first few seconds of IKICL gave me an interesting visual of a pasty faced Dean Stockwell lipsyncing with a flashlight/microphone in his face
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @10:28AM (#96537)
  • I agree with the sentiments - Moz is just belting this stuff out with all his heart. I get the sense that he is just going for it. Which is very cool - Because

A.) It sounds great
    B.) He hasn't really done this before.

These samples both have a tension not unlike the end of 'I know it's Over' where he is just wailing.

Technically, his voice is amazing - and almost so technically proficient that it is less interesting than his rougher old cracking voice.

In any case - Both of these tracks are miles above anything on Southpaw and Maladjusted. I got chills listening to them - While I can't STAND maladjusted - so I am no Moz sycophant.

One thing I get the sense of here - that I didn't get the sense of on Maladjusted OR SPG -

HE IS SINGING FROM THE HEART.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @01:28PM (#96590)
  • This is all very exciting! See you in LA...and for all of you bad-mouthing children...f-off! Morrissey is back and he no longer sucks!!
    Morrissey Sucks -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @03:26PM (#96634)
    (User #310 Info)
    Morrissey Sucks (and all is well)!
  • "You Know I Couldn't Last" is a amazing. One of his best songs in the last 15 years--his vocals are awesome.
    jwlam911 -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @07:13PM (#96696)
    (User #10755 Info)
  • alot of people are comparing this album to your arsenal and vauxhall and i. i think the songs sound like tracks from maladjusted.
    leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 20 2004, @09:57PM (#96721)
    (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
    True friends stab you in the front.
  • Playlouder review from all of three weeks ago:

COME BACK TO CAMDEN

"Drinking tea with the taste of the Thames, sullenly on a chair on the pavement / Here you'll find my thoughts and I"

Possibly the best track on here, though we can see ourselves thinking that about a lot of them. Shamelessly romantic and wildly theatrical, this is one of the finest metropolitan musings we've heard in some years now, and, again, Moz builds the drama superbly, starting out with some low-key and wholly beautiful piano before first a fiddle and then some cannoning drums turn it into an epic masterpiece. Quite realistic about Camden too, as London listeners'll probably agree.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 21 2004, @02:24AM (#96751)

[ home | terms of service ]