posted by davidt on Wednesday April 14 2004, @09:30AM
Georgethetwentythird writes:

Morrissey gets the lead news item on the cover of this week's Music Week, the leading UK music industry mag. Along with a colour shot of the "gun" photo, there's the usual blurb about the album, including a quote from Sanctuary: "Morrissey has made a brilliant record which we believe is his best solo work to date, that will excite his existing fans and a whlle new generation of music lovers." (Well, they're hardly likely to say anything else, are they??)

The article also mentions a new Smiths tribute album on the very credible Eat Sleep Records called How Soon Is Now, featuring the likes of Your Code Is: Milo, Hundred Reasons and Million Dead. The album is released on June 28th. (Can't remember if this has been covered??)
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • These "tributes" are getting to be pretty commonplace now and all cover mostly the same tunes. I can understand HSIN being popular but "Frankly, Mr. Shankly" ?

Most try to either:

(a) Give their own original take on the songs (with chaotic artistic licence ) which - in my opinion - sound like krap karaoke.
                                          or
    (b) Attempt to keep faith with the original, but it still sounds like watered down plagiaristic crap..

There are obviously exceptions and one of the most original covers I've heard so far is by "I Buried Paul" and their cover of Handsome Devil where they sample the intro from "Girl Afraid" and loop it and then use a slowed down sample from "Oscillate Wildly" for the chorus - at least they put some thought into it and actually displayed how The Smiths inspired them to be creative and not just plagiariststs....

The line between plagiarism and creativity is very subtle, but some "artists" don't get it. Creativity in my book is using something that already exists in a unique way, ala Moz and his use of lines from books & film uniquely injected into his poetry, ala Johnny Marr and his many riffs which knowingly reference other rather than pretend to be original..
    [ e.g. start of There Is a Light.. taken from a Rolling Stones tune which was in turn ripped from Velvet Underground - There She Goes Again ]

Not sure if the Housemartins would ever admit that their Number 1 "Happy Hour" was obviously constructed from a riff ripped from start of "I Want The One I Can't Have", but it's certainly a more interesting, if not creative, "tribute" than The High Llamas cover of "Frankly Mr. Shankly"...

Refs:
    The Smiths is Dead Tribute CD
    A Tribute to The Smiths - Cover Star
    Only heard snippets of String Quartet one, but sounds interesting..
    GreatGael -- Wednesday April 14 2004, @04:11PM (#95464)
    (User #10200 Info)
    "I understood it with the eyes, never with thinking...using that would be to find them all equal"

[ home | terms of service ]