posted by davidt on Tuesday April 13 2004, @09:30AM
Venus de Mile End writes:

The latest and last (for the meantime at least) issue of The Face magazine (May 2004) features a piece in the Hype section about a Morrissey puppet show:

"HAND IN GLOVE [how could the headline be anything else? - VB]

There's Abba The Musical, Queen The Musical and Rod Stewart The Musical. Now there's Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths The Musical. Nathan Evans is the puppetmaster, armed with a Casio keyboard and Morrissey in muppet form. He performs at London's cabaret clubs. He says: "The audience laugh at the funny bits. Sigh in the sad bits. Boo the baddies. Just like old-fashioned vaudeville, I guess." Part of Duckie's Olivier award-winning show C'est Barbican!, he also performs The Kate bush Comeback Show - a puppet version of Kate's last gig. The ultimate stage for Nathan's Smiths show would be the Salford Lads' Club, home to the first Smiths museum and a Mecca for Morrissey fans."

The piece is accompanied by a shot of the creator dressed in Smiths-era Moz garb, with two puppets atop his shoulders (one of Moz, the other a skinhead).

Also in the 'We're Lovin' It! Floating Our Boat in May' round-up in the Letters section, Morrissey is listed as one of the flavour's of the month.

As a Face contributor myself, I am pleased they have taken (however little) heed of my suggestion of Moz as due for some comeback coverage. I posted on the Face contributor's intranet that he would make a timely feature, with props from Face faves Franz Ferdinand et al currently popping up all over the place. Another contributor also suggested doing something on the Salford Lads' Club being turned into a Smiths museum.

Maybe we'll get to see more of the Mozzer on their hallowed pages if The Face finds another publisher. Here's hoping.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I have seen this about a year ago. It was in fact at Duckie; which is a weekly gay alternative club in South London and features a cabaret act in the middle.

This was bizarrely entertaining and should not, absolutely not be mentioned in the same sentence as Ben Elton and his God-awful Queen musical.
    Sonny Jim -- Tuesday April 13 2004, @11:42AM (#95180)
    (User #6638 Info)
  • That sounds like it would be fun to see after a few cocktails, if I was in London I'd check it out.
    Why is The Face stopping publication? low sales?
    I've bought it on occasion for years here in Canada despite the high cost.
    ScottyK -- Tuesday April 13 2004, @02:12PM (#95214)
    (User #7165 Info)
    Meet me in the alley

[ home | terms of service ]