posted by davidt on Sunday April 11 2004, @10:00AM
Stan Cooke writes:

There is a picture of Fred Durst in todays edition (Apr. 10, 2004) of The Sun sporting a Hatful of Hollow T-Shirt to the Premiere of Kill Bill Volume 2.

Hardly the type of bloke you would expect or particularly want to be associated with The Smiths, it shows once again that the stock of Morrissey et al is higher than than it's been for years.

I wonder now if the many throngs of teenage delinquents in every town sporting their Limp Bizkit hoodies will follow their idols lead and stick a gladioli or two in their back pockets in an attempt to be cool...

---
Update: 04/11 19:47 GMT by D: Image posted by Guy LeFluer on the discussion board (link). The original image is from the Apr. 9 front page of Productshop NYC (excerpt):

Being a Smiths fan will never mean the same thing to me now that Fred Durst had to go and where one of their shirts to the premiere of Kill Bill: Volume 2. This is almost as bad as his Kurt Cobain tattoo. Doesn't he know he's just being disrepectful? Hasn't his momma ever taught him some manners? Leave good bands alone and go where a Flickerstick t-shirt or something. Ugh. What an asshole. My entire day is shot now. I can't think straight........

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I don't believe Durst to be a fan of Ths Smiths. I believe that he, and all who suddenly name drop the band and Moz these days despite years of never once refering to him, fans of vogue and wether we like it or not Smith/Moz is very chic right now among the shallow set.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @10:35AM (#94771)
  • Disturbing!
    ScottyK -- Sunday April 11 2004, @11:05AM (#94779)
    (User #7165 Info)
    Meet me in the alley
  • please enlighten me
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @11:26AM (#94782)
  • That shirt has eBay written all over it.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @01:13PM (#94800)
  • hm (Score:2, Funny)

It's not elitist! And even if it is, in this case the elitism is correct. I'm disturbed by Durst wearing a Smiths shirt but I don't mind Morrissey getting more popular. It's just that Durst is sorta a symbol of the type of people most Morrissey fans have gotten a lot of shit from over the years. Durst is a rock star for retarded people!
    LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Sunday April 11 2004, @01:52PM (#94804)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
    • Re:hm (Score:3, Insightful)

I think this last post is really well-said; Fred Durst stands for the kind of thing I listen to the Smiths to get away from. When I see this, and I can't help but think of a quote from Kurt Cobain when he said that one night during a concert he looked out into the audience and saw, staring back at him, the faces of the same people who used to beat him up -- and that revelation did incalculable damage to him. I don't want to be sharing anything with a brute who advocates crass violence, sexism, and homophobia. If this attitude is elitist, so be it.
      Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @02:33PM (#94810)
      • well said by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 11 2004, @09:38PM
  • Does not surprise me. Fred Durst likes everyone including Britney Spears (yes, Britney and Moz are definitely alike).

Seriously, maybe he just has an eclectic music taste, or perhaps he is just WANTS to be known for having an eclectic taste.
    LeJentle -- Sunday April 11 2004, @02:48PM (#94813)
    (User #9846 Info | http://public.fotki.com/LeJentle)
  • fred durst is definately a crashing bore. he should have never been allowed on the red carpet wearing a smiths shirt.
    leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 11 2004, @02:50PM (#94814)
    (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
    True friends stab you in the front.
  • That's a nice shirt! I wonder where the bigmouthed prick got it... Hmm...

Yeah, evidently he redid "Behind Blue Eyes" with his band Limp Bizkit without even knowing who The Who were before recording the cover. Judging by that, I wouldn't put too much faith in the fact that he's a Smiths fan; it just doesn't seem logical to me. If he is though, then good for him. It's about time his head was in the right place. *ponders*
    Anonymous-shnonymous <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 11 2004, @02:56PM (#94816)
    (User #6230 Info | http://opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=A128747)
    Anything is hard to find when you will not open your eyes.
  • this ruined your day?? who cares if he or anyone else wears a smiths shirt? you are all so ridiculous in your "morrissey belongs to me" attitudes that you've clearly lost sight of reality. it's just music. granted, it's incredible music that in one strange way or another has touched; if not changed our lives.... at the end of the day, it's just a stack of lovely songs. get out, get some air! go spend time with the people you love.. surely that is more important than fred durst wearing a smiths tee?
    VIVAMOZ <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 11 2004, @03:07PM (#94819)
    (User #184 Info | http://www.cato.org/)
    blame me! i didn't vote!
  • I like the fact he is covered in tattoo's and perpetually pretends to be tough, yet has a Smiths shirt on, who are a very girly, slightly camp band. Hmmm. I think wearing shirts with bands names on is hugeley pretentious, its basically yelling 'I like this band! look what great music taste I have!'
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @06:01PM (#94841)
  • Poser!
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @06:41PM (#94848)
  • LOL, what a doof ball.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @07:19PM (#94855)
  • Who is Fred Durst?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @08:26PM (#94858)
  • Frankly, I'm surprised to see the fat oaf in a t-shirt that doesn't have a picture of a giant hamburger on it. Or at the very least, a photo of him eating a giant hamburger. And fries. And onion rings. And a milkshake. Simultaneously.
    submission -- Sunday April 11 2004, @09:30PM (#94862)
    (User #10606 Info)
  • i'm trying to be above the whole 'poseur' arguement... but geez, the guy is just such a meathead. there's something disturbing and not altogether right about this image, and i'm scared.

easymeat
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @10:01PM (#94870)
  • but I've seen funnier.

what can I say? I don't give a rat's ass...

like the late George Harrison once said while driving past Moe's..

"It's been done."
    Davy_Havok -- Sunday April 11 2004, @10:26PM (#94874)
    (User #3893 Info | http://blogawayla.com/)
  • fred durst also wore a cure t shirtnext shirt for him should be a depeche mode or a joy division one. i would like to think that someone like him has no idea what these bands are all about. he should be wearing warrant and poison t shirts.

ejcmp
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 11 2004, @10:50PM (#94876)
  • Somewhere in the heart of the American marketing machinery, a crack group of freshly graduated ad students have discovered an exciting resurgence in the career of one of pop's most wilfully idiosyncratic, brilliantly single-minded and irrefutably intelligent singers - namely one Steven Patrick Morrissey.

It hasn't escaped this particular squad of hungry advertising students that Morrissey's imminent return to the forefront of pop will bring along vast amounts of media coverage. The fact that Morrissey's stock-in-trade has never been so high also suggests that should one associate oneself in any way possible with Morrissey and/or The Smiths - instant hipdom and display of good taste will be bestowed upon them.

Therefore, press agents, stylists, personal assistants, media manipulators, celebrity whores up and down the country are looking into this Morrissey thing - trying to see what the deal is.

Of course, it's all fake. Julia fucking Stiles, goddamn Gwen Stefani and even Fred Durst - all media clotheshorses trying to attach some genuine hip to their non-existent personas.

However, I thought "Rollin'" by the Bizkit was pretty rocking.
    Ramon -- Monday April 12 2004, @12:55AM (#94886)
    (User #2577 Info)
    "I'm all over you...like a vulture, like impending death"
  • looks to be kinda crappy. That silkcreen of the album cover looks like it's 3mm thick. The image and "The Smiths" text are set way to far down. And that color has got to go.

I wonder if there will be a load of crack heads trying to sell shirts like that outside of the Wiltern concert.

and...I'm surprised he isn't wearing a Jesus and Mary Chain ball cap over his balding head.

Why can't men who are going bald live with the fact instead of trying to hide it constantly.
    someraincoatedlovers -- Monday April 12 2004, @08:43AM (#94919)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • Not that I am proud of this...but a few years back, I was on limewire, looking for other bands covering Smiths/Moz songs...I found the same old covers by the same old bands..the usual.. James, Barenaked Ladies, Deftones...and then I am sad to say...Limp Bizkit covering Boy with a thorn...it was fucking pathetic. It's out there on the net for all to enjoy...lol
    Anonymous -- Monday April 12 2004, @10:08AM (#94939)
  • Who cares what he waears. If you like Morrissey
    the way you say you do, for god sake stay quite.. Care about yourself and do not worry
    about other people. Complaining about a Rock Star
    wearing a Smiths/Moz t-shirt is a poser.
    nino -- Monday April 12 2004, @02:17PM (#94991)
    (User #10409 Info)
  • Yup Fred Durst is courting Morrissey in the media to get Morrissey to work with him.He has always done that.He was a big Radiohead fan all of a sudden.Then a big Trent Reznor fan.Than a big Weezer fan.Fred Durst is not really a musician but a businessman looking for alternative rock greats as clients to give Limp Bizkit credibility.Just look at the giant picture of Kurt Cobain tattooed on his chest.He is the anti-Cobain if there ever was one.A pathetic media whore who bought fame with his wallet to screw everything that walks.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 13 2004, @03:52AM (#95068)
  • That shirt looks straight off of ebay sold by some bald ex-record producer guy who has gone to selling cheap bootleg shirts on Ebay (probably his dad). Definately a dork like Fred Durst would own such a shitty bootleg shirt and try to pass himself as a fan, since he obviously couldn't tell the difference between rat-shit & rice-crispies.
    TheMusikBox <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 13 2004, @10:51AM (#95166)
    (User #10659 Info | http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite)
    If You Like Morrissey.. Listen to Musik. : http://www.geocities.com/musikboxsite
  • Oh Jesus. The picture is horrible.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 14 2004, @11:27PM (#95493)
  • Yes, we are indeed elitist, and as such we would like to point out to you that you shouldn't use big words you can't spell in your messages. "Elitest."

;D
    Anonymous -- Monday April 12 2004, @04:06AM (#94900)
    • Re:Who cares! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 12 2004, @07:53AM
    • Re:Who cares! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 12 2004, @07:52PM
      • Re:Who cares! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 13 2004, @03:59AM
  • 3 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]