posted by davidt on Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:00AM
(Update: 04/07 08:27 GMT: scans from Uncleskinny: page 1, page 2)
---
VB - The Bard(ot) of Barking writes:

Got the latest issue of the NME which came out here in London today (Week 15 2004, the Kurt Cobain 10 year Anniversary Special), which features a forerunner to next week's Moz cover story.

On Page 14 there is a roundup commentary of the new album, with the headline AT LAST: MORRISSEY RETURNS NME'S CALLS!

Here is the transcript (excuse any typos as I am hammering this out at demonic speed):

-----------------------
"Morrissey's new album You Are The Quarry is released on May 17. Next week, he will give his first interview with NME for twelve years. As a teaser, NME was given an exclusive listen to the hugely anticipated album, his seventh solo record and the first since 1997's 'Maladjusted'.

Morrissey is enjoying something of a second coming of late, with bands including The Libertines and Franz Ferdinand declaring him a huge influence. With british music on the rise and his old band The Smiths recently crowned the most influential of all time by NME, the record will be released in a feverish atmosphere.

Morrissey told NME: "I think this album is the best I've ever done, absolutely. Though of course only time will tell, but even at this stage of shall we say release I've never felt so excited. I get myself a night at home and I play it and I just feel....fantastic."

Morrissey's band for the album includes long-time guitarists Boz Boorer and Alain Whyte, bassist Gary Day and drummer Dean Butterworth. It finds him as complex and seductively contradictory as ever.

1. America Is Not The World.

Morrissey surveys his adopted homeland and is typically wrenched between the good and bad. As an acoustic guitar gently strums, he lambasts the country of fast food, singing: "Well America...you know where you can shove your hamburger."
Key lyric: "Where the President is never black, female or gay/And until that day/You've got nothing to say/To me, to help me believe/Oooh oooh woah in America"

2. Irish Blood, English Heart

One of the highlights of 2002's UK live dates and the first single to be taken from the new album (released May 10). Evocative of the magnificent 'Speedway' from Vauzhall and I, it's probably his best single for a decade. Unafraid to be labelled controversial, he tackles the notion of Englishness over a rousing guitar.
Key lyric: "I've been dreaming of a time when/To be English is not to be baneful/To be standing by the flag, not feeling shameful/Racist or partial" [Hear bloody hear - VB]

3. I Have Forgiven Jesus

Morrissey flirts with witty self-pity, swingng from egotism to self-loathing with a speed that's dizzying.
Key lyric: "Monday - humiliation/Tuesday - suffocation/Wednesday - condescension.../Thursday is pathetic"

4. Come Back To Camden

A gentle piano ballad that blossoms into a massive showstopper. Strings well up as the master of the morose has a good wallow in his own version of a sweeping romantic ballad. It's a Broadway hit transferred to grey goth-strewn London streets.
Key lyric: "Drinking tea with the taste of the Thames/Sullenly on a chair on the pavement/Here you'll find my thoughts and I"

5. I'm Not Sorry

Over a circular acoustic strum Morrissey insists his soulmate must be someone special. A flute solo draws a veil over proceedings.
Key lyric: "The woman of my dreams/She/She never came along/Wel-ell there never was one"

6. The World Is Full of Crashing Bores

Morrissey takes aim at the world. Essentially a sideswipe at the police, the taxman ("Educated criminals, work within the law") and dullard pop stars.
Key lyric: "Lockjaw pop stars thicker than pigshit/Nothing to convey/They're so scared to show intelligence/It might smear/Their lovely career"

7. How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?

A doomy, atmospheric riff - one of the best on the album - gives way to antagonistic, stabbing guitars as a world-weary Moz berates his situation and casts barbs at people in "smelly uniform".
Key lyric: "But even I/As sick as I am/Would never be you"

8. The First of the Gang to Die

The album's only story song that, like older classics Sweet And Tender Hooligan and Last of the Famous International Playboys, toys with the romanticism of the thuggish. Played on the 2002 UK tour.
Key lyric: "Hector was the first of the gang/With a gun in his hand/And a bullet in his gullet/...The first last lad under the sod"

9. Let Me Kiss You

Written for 60s legend Nancy Sinatra - daughter of Frank - this is a tale of newfound love with a twist. Features chiming guitars similar to The Queen Is Dead's 'Never Had No One Ever'. Nancy Sinatra's version has been tipped as the first single off her new album, 'To Nancy, With Love'.
Key lyric: "And think of someone you physically admire/And let me kiss you" [Oh, go on then - VB]

10. All The Lazy Dykes

This song features a heartbreaking acoustic guitar part reminiscent of the closing riff from The Smiths' legendary I Know It's Over. Morrissey pleads to a housewife to be true to herself and "join the girls".
Key lyric: "Be yourself/Be yourself/Come to the ponds and see yourself/And at last your life begins"

11. I Like You

Morrissey's plight this time is with a person who treats him badly but he lets them get away with it because he, well, likes them.
Key lyrics: "I like you/You're not right in the head/And nor am I/And this is why I like you"

12. You Know I Couldn't Last

This is Morrissey handing out advice to a fading pop star and gleefully kicking detractors in the crotch as the chorus crashes in.
Key lyric: "The critics who/Can't break you/They sometimes help to make you"
---------------------

Then on the inside of the back cover they have run a preview of next week's feature. They have done a mockup of The Godfather logo reading The Mozfather and MORRISSEY THE RETURN in big letters across a full page photo of his lordship. There is a speech bubble reading "People always say to me 'You changed my life' and I just feel a flush of pride. It's quite something to have helped people through their darkest hours".

Then in the corner is a lovely photo of next week's cover, with the header Morrissey: The guv'nor returns. It gives a list of topics Moz will be discussing reading as follows:
Sex, Death, The Smiths, The Strokes, Racism, Tea, Kurt, Courtney, Ipods, Love, Fans, Jack White, Eminem, Pop Idol, Lesbians and THAT Union Jack incident.

All sounds very tantalising, I'm sure you'll agree.

Vivienne xxx
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • cmon lets hear it! hooorah!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:20AM (#94040)

• AAAAAH!!!! I vowed just today not to read any more spoilers about the album! Couldn't stop myself....

With lyrics like this:
    "Be yourself/Be yourself/Come to the ponds and see yourself/And at last your life begins"

I can't wait any longer!

I don't know what to make of this Mozfather stuff though. We shall see.....

Glad to hear there's a lot of acoustic guitar.

Anyway, yeah...2004...the Morrissey strikes back. With a vengeance. = )
    LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:26AM (#94041)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
  • So much exposure. Almost everyday there is more news, more reviews and more interviews.

I wonder, maybe it's too much of a good thing?
    Eric Hartman -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:28AM (#94042)
    (User #5103 Info | http://www.patcondell.net/)
    It is a very mixed blessing to be brought back from the dead.
  • all the little cacaroaches will feel the mozfather this year hes back an he aint going nowhere. moz oh moz the best things do come to those who wait. congrats on what will be a marvelous album i got this deep gut feeling that america will listen to you finally!!!!
    "SPLATERED WALLS AND A KICK IN THE BALLS, THAT'S ENTERTAIMENT"
  • Nice work. You should win an award for ouststanding journalism! Nicely summarised and a tantalising look forward with anticipation to the real thing.
    Ruffian <[email protected]> -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:56AM (#94045)
    (User #1813 Info)
    "In the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more..."
    • Re:Thanks.. by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 09 2004, @10:32AM
  • ... this is the coolest buildup for an album EVER... I can't fucking wait!

BRING IT ON MOZ!!

;^)

Jay "Some Totally Random Moz Fan"
    I'm really just Some Totally Random Moz Fan
  • Hundreds of people must have heard it by now, and still it hasn't leaked. If they can keep it that way until May 17th, they surely deserve a medal.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @01:05AM (#94047)
  • since 12 years[ this alarming man article],I'm
    gonna check out if I can score next weeks NME
    in the Netherlands

it's unnatural to see how the NME are lifting
    him up [ie Mozfather, guv'nor]after ruining
    his carreer in Brittain, in 1992 with the above
    mentioned article published the week after
    Morrissey's Finsbury debacle
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @02:01AM (#94052)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Am I the only one who adored the pictures? I mean, they were smashing, and what cool gaze he has. Far above the average (always stunning) moz pics. He has aged with such grace.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @02:36AM (#94058)
  • "drinking tea with the taste of the THames"
    it's very thoughtful and it's cute!
    And
    Thank you for staying the darkest hours-
    There's no one but you.
    Singing is the great work, Steven.
    Thank you for saving my life.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @03:00AM (#94066)
  • He appears to be adopting the 'Gangster Of Indie' look - or, yeah, The Mozfather.

Man, it's so weird. He actually looks pretty intimidating now. Like some guy that would just break your neck for not 'paying up' (like in his tommy gun pic)

In that scan I look at the old 'delicate' and skinny Moz and I miss him a lot.

But, damn, he has figured out how to wear his age and not look like a rockstar struggling to hold on to the past, and that is awesome. I believe that his 'second coming' can last for a while. The reason being his look / image won't change as radically as it has recently. He'll lose hair, get grey, but if he can get people to accept him now as a relevant artist he will basically become another Sinatra. Timeless, and no matter how old, still cool.

Kiss the ring.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @03:27AM (#94070)
  • moz will be busy over the next couple of months. I hope he doesn't use that as an excuse to stop coming around for tea ......
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @05:56AM (#94094)
  • Although initially I too was fazed by Morrissey ageing and looking every bit like a handsome uncle, I now think he looks more extrodinary than ever.

The earlier post about how he will comfortably become a Sinatra figure is spot on. But not for another 20 years! See, this is Middle-Moz - a fine looking man in his 40's, but he himself has enthused about getting older and come the day when we do get to Late-Moz, in about 2025, he might well be at his peak!

I can envisage a 60+ Morrissey crooning beautifully in the Albert Hall backed by a full orchestra. And who knows, maybe in onbe hundred years time that is how people will remember him at his most iconic?

Strange, but possibly true. All we know is that far from approaching the end, he's just turning a corner into another long straight. There's decades left in the man!
    Stan <[email protected]> -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @06:14AM (#94096)
    (User #9752 Info | http://www.stanleymchale.merseyblogs.co.uk/)
  • the apocolypse is truly here when moz and NME are on good terms...sorta...i must find a copy in the states somewhere!! viva morrissey!!
    buddhacoping -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @06:20AM (#94097)
    (User #10594 Info)
  • I can't wait for the interview (even though I said I'd never buy the NME again), can't wait for the album, can't wait for Manchester, can't wait for Meltdown.... It's all too exciting.

I'm going to lie down with a damp towel and a cup of peppermint tea.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @06:43AM (#94103)
  • He is the new James Bond. How stunning is he??? WOW!!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @06:46AM (#94104)
  • The cover (pictured on the last page of this week's issue as a preview of next week's) looks great, it's a good picture of him. The only slightly negative comment I would make is that the cover has large triangle sections in the bottom left and top right hand corners in blue, which advertise a 'giant double-sided Kurt poster', and that's along with all the other writing up and down both sides of the cover (as usual). You'll see what I mean when the scans come in, if you haven't already. It spoils the effect just a little. But I'm not trying to be negative, don't get me wrong, THIS IS MOZ ON THE FRONT COVER OF THE NME! 100% good news.. it's just interesting that this week's issue (Kurt cover) has a couple of sentences of writing on, whereas the Moz one has writing all over it.
    2-J -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @06:56AM (#94106)
    (User #4798 Info)
  • Bet it is.....
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @07:22AM (#94110)
  • First of all, the guy is damn handsome. I bet he ends up doing some acting. He looks like one of the Krays in his dark pinstripes.
    Good for you Moz.
    Fence -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @07:44AM (#94113)
    (User #1034 Info)
    Heel in the back, size 13
  • When does it hit the US stands?
    Maladjustedx -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @08:38AM (#94120)
    (User #10222 Info)
    • Re:When by submission (Score:1) Wednesday April 07 2004, @08:32PM
      • Re:When by Maladjustedx (Score:1) Thursday April 08 2004, @08:37AM
  • FANTASTIC!!! I can just hear this beautiful album now. Im getting goose bumps as I speak.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @10:16AM (#94135)
  • For next Saturday. Moz Vegas baby !!!
    mozangeles23 -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @10:18AM (#94136)
    (User #10590 Info)
    "Somebody has to be me so it might as well be me."
  • Never say never... (Score:2, Interesting)

In the Morrissey universe, there were always two sure things: The Smiths would never reform, and Moz would never speak to the NME again. One down, none to go...

He looks amazing! Like a finely tailored suit with a voice like a perfectly tuned, purring engine.

Viva Moz!
    king leer -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @10:35AM (#94138)
    (User #80 Info)
  • The people marketing him at Sanctuary deserve a lot of recognition. AT LAST he's with a label that's doing its job properly. It's a long time since he's had so much exposure, and I can't wait for his Jonathan Ross appearance. That fortnight in May (TV, single, Manchester, album) is going to be absolutely awesome!
    kimbo -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @10:58AM (#94140)
    (User #8993 Info)
    • Re:Marketing by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 07 2004, @11:11AM
    • Re:Marketing by Anonymous (Score:1) Thursday April 08 2004, @01:24AM
  • Doesn't ring true (Score:0, Interesting)

Okay, let me get this straight. On track 1 Morrissey sings, "You've got nothing to say/To me, to help me believe/Oooh oooh woah in America."

Hmmm....his favorite icon: James Dean. Favorite band: New York Dolls. Best friend: daughter of an American icon (Sinatra). His biggest fan base, especially during the mid-90s when English press/fans wouldn't spit on him: Los Angeles. CHOSEN place of residence: do I really need to? Sounds to me like America has already said alot to Morrissey....and he has been shaped by it. If the rest of the album rings this hollow, we may be in for another Southpaw-styled charade. I hope not.
    Copeland -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @11:17AM (#94146)
    (User #1426 Info)
    • Re:Doesn't ring true by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 07 2004, @11:34AM
      • Re:Doesn't ring true by Copeland (Score:1) Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:26PM
        • Why do you think Southpaw was a charade, Copeland? It's hardly my favorite album, but in retrospect it seems pretty sincere in its grimness.
          Gabriella -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @01:12PM (#94154)
          (User #7960 Info)
          And me and my heart, we knew...we just knew...forevermore...
    • Re:Doesn't ring true (Score:2, Interesting)

"Okay, let me get this straight. On track 1 Morrissey sings, "You've got nothing to say/To me, to help me believe/Oooh oooh woah in America."

----- in the song he also goes onto say how much he loves america. without even having heard the song and only read some rumoured lyrics - i would imaging that the song is about politics and the extremely bland and fluffy u.s. media and will not be remotely directed at the people of america. why would he?

favourite icon - james dean. ----- maybe it is oscar wilde - who knows!!

favourite band - well fair enough, i'll give you that ;)

how do you know if nancy is morrissey's best friend?? in the morrissey doc.. she came round to his house for tea. so what! i think maybe linder would have something to say about that.

during the mid-90s when English press/fans wouldn't spit on him ------ THE FANS????? well thats crap!

i cant believe i replied to this.

kind regards
      goodbye_a_go_go -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @01:31PM (#94155)
      (User #10175 Info)
    • Re:Doesn't ring true by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday May 28 2004, @03:36AM
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • ...or is Morrissey starting to look like the Professor from Lost In Space.
    Nine Times Fine -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @02:01PM (#94158)
    (User #9704 Info)
    for haven’t you me with you now?
  • Ha. (Score:1, Funny)

"Where the President is never black, female or gay"

We should follow after the UK -- after all Margaret Thatcher was the first black, female, and gay to hold elected office.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @02:31PM (#94173)
  • Well, Im excited to hear it-all except the one about America; it sounds really lame, I must say. Looks like Moz is well versed in liberal indocrination. Oh well, hopefully the rest is good.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @03:14PM (#94183)
  • Why is that people are getting so angsty about America not being the world? Is this a shock? Didn't you realise?

I think the point of the song is to tell the American Government and all the bigots who believe that America's interests are the only one's that have any right to be followed that they are misguided. There is a whole world and America is making decisions (many of them quite ignorant of other countries) for everyone.

Morrissey has always stood up for the 'little guy' and I feel this is just another song where Morrissey voices a miniorities opinion. It's not you? Deal with it. Besides, isn't one of the main ideas of America free speech? Oh, that's right we have every right to our own opinion just as long as it agrees with yours.

As Morrissey says, 'America, I love you. But you are not the world.'
    Half A Persona -- Thursday April 08 2004, @02:58AM (#94236)
    (User #6025 Info)
    "...and I just can't explain so I won't even try to..."
  • This cover photo is great! capone, brando, pacino, deniro... beware! morrissey is back in town, guys!
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 08 2004, @04:52AM (#94253)
  • I love the american culture. I hate the american politic. Simple...
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 08 2004, @05:06AM (#94257)
    • Re:Truth by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 08 2004, @08:46AM
  • Oh, the agony.... (Score:1, Interesting)

I have loved Morrissey's music, his wit, his style and his taste for 9 years now. His music guided me through a dark period in my life. That's why it is so painful to see that Morrissey's political views mistakenly paint him as a cliche and flake. His views are devoid of ANY originality or true depth of analysis. If he could just be a pop star my world could be perfect. Instead...we get his disturbingly inane, Bono-like vitriol concerning America's rightful place in the world (read: we got to the top and we've stayed here because we do things right, not wrong). I imagine he sees the world so simply because he never took a college international politics course (and apparently neither have any of his fans), but this fact does not mitigate the agony of his political cliches.
    Copeland -- Thursday April 08 2004, @05:57AM (#94268)
    (User #1426 Info)
  • I have many friends in this country, and I really admire and respect these people....
    "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal."

But the USA politicians are a bunch of assholes!

Morrissey, like anyone, have the right to express opinions, political or not.

Fucking in the "BUSHES"
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 08 2004, @07:10AM (#94281)
  • There's no deep meaning about what he said,
    he tells what he thinks, and may be it's not
    the things that everyday people thinks,
    he always asks questions to see what's happening,
    He's not to offend someone, he says with the wit.
    I still think "you say too muuuuuuch?`"but I think
    tha's whay I like Morrissey.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 08 2004, @07:54AM (#94287)
  • ... right around the time of his best works, namely 1992-1995. I'm a fan of all Smiths/Moz albums, but I can't say i was big on his earlier younger thin/pale look with the Smiths. On the other hand, at this stage of his life, not only his he greyed but he has gained some weight and his face is a bit more puffed and less-healthy looking. Nothing *wrong* with that, it's just him aging is all.

But nothing will beat the way Moz looked around the time of his best album, Vauxhall and I. Particularly in the "Introducing Morrissey" video, god I loved that one. He was unbelievably handsome and debonair, with his trim appearance, mid-30s/early-40s distinguished look, the sport coat, and he was still embracing Britain as his home and an idealistic Britain as the best country in the world. I watch him in Introducing Morrissey and I just *KNOW* that is/was his total peak. He even once said, shortly after the release of Southpaw, that he didn't think he'd ever create another album as good as Vauxhall.

I'll take the stylish, distinguished, pro-British, mature mid-30's, decidedly more hetero Morrissey on the cover of "Vauxhall and I" and in the Introducing Morrissey video over earlier Moz (skinny, pale, more gay-looking ie. the November... video) or recent Moz (greying, definitely looks older, embraces L.A. and hispanic culture, less morose, etc.).
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 08 2004, @10:16AM (#94314)

[ home | terms of service ]