posted by davidt on Tuesday April 06 2004, @08:00AM
m writes:

okay, so me & few friends decided to head up to NYC on Saturday evening to go see Mike Joyce & Andy Rourke spin. it turned out being a really fun evening! a few bands played & then later the two hit the dj booth. they spun some good tunes despite playing no smiths songs besides bigmouth strikes again 3X. i don't know what that was about. but as the night went on i kept drinking & before i know it i find myself just standing in the dj booth. i spoke with Andy Rourke & he hugged me i glanced at Joyce but decided to head back to the dance floor. as the night grew later we all grew more trashed & my one good friend as always was having the most fun. later on Mike Joyce approached the dance floor where my dear friend & him engaged in a total make out session. when i told her that joyce was old & unattractive she made a very good point. "who cares, he was in the smiths".
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • The sycophantic slags all say, 'I knew him first and I knew him well'.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @09:16AM (#93930)
  • i am sure mrs. joyce would not be too happy to read about this.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @09:44AM (#93938)
    • Re:whooops by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @10:02AM
      • Re:whooops by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @06:21PM
        • Re:whooops by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 07 2004, @04:46AM
          • Re:whooops by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 07 2004, @08:07AM
  • mike has more talent than we thought!
    suzanne -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @09:45AM (#93939)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • This is the dumbest "news" story in a long time. Who cares? How do we even know it's true?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @10:05AM (#93943)
    • Re:Whatever by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @11:51AM
    • Re:Whatever by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @01:15PM
      • Re:Whatever by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @02:37PM
  • Complete nonsense. This is not based on fact, and deserves no place on the main page. Is he not married anyway?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @11:04AM (#93953)
    • Re:NoMore! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @12:33PM
      • Re:NoMore! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 06 2004, @12:38PM
  • i think this is hysterical!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @11:53AM (#93969)
  • isn't mike married? your friend is a total slut with no shame. hell, mike's old and unattractive.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @12:37PM (#93981)
  • not that any of these bitter mean people would believe me or care. (even though they care enough to post a comment about it). but i seriously saw the whole thing happen. it was near the dj booth close to 5 in the morning. everyone was just having harmless fun. and i can see why mike joyce would have picked that girl...she was hot!

i recently read that morrissey said he hates browsing the web because his fans are so mean to one another. reading these statements confirms that this is very very true.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @03:37PM (#94014)
  • Just a thought regarding a related experience I had a couple weeks ago:

I just saw Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke performing the same show (but with the Sweet & Tender Hooligans) in San Diego at the Casbah. I thought they played great music in the DJ set (although also as you said - only one Smiths song - and it was "Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before"). Andy stayed in the DJ booth almost the whole time and wasn't too outgoing, but Mike really nice, was all over the place, having fun, dancing, etc. There were about 10 of us (male and female) dancing with him, and one girl was hitting on him really hard (and she was gorgeous), but I saw him take pains to NOT get too tangled up with her... so although I can't vouch for anything that happened after I left (at 1:00am), in general I would give Mike the benefit of the doubt (and Mrs. Mike some peace of mind). Maybe the making out in NY was a drunken mistake, because he just didn't strike me as a guy out to score with the ladies...and believe me, he had plenty of opportunities.

But as I finish writing this, I'm realizing that it's none of my business either way. Important thing is that the show was GREAT and it was a total trip to hang out with 1/2 of the Smiths.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @05:28PM (#94022)
  • I saw Mike & Andy do a DJ set in Vancouver recently (March 31)... a friend of mine told me that when they arrived all they requested from the promoter was "Chilled wine, ecstasy and cocaine" which they did and then passed out soon after.
    I spoke to them after their set and they seemed fairly nice.
    They only played Bigmouth Strikes Again at the Vancouver set too... I told Andy I thought Panic would have been funnier.
    I don't know how much truth there is to all the rumours about their behaviour though.
    girlxafraid -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @07:58PM (#94029)
    (User #9660 Info)
    drank too much, said too much, and there's nowhere to go - but Down
  • This was http://www.morrissey-solo.com, not http://www.washed-up-session-musicians-who-have-spent-the-last-17-years-doing-no thing-but-snogging-slappers.com
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @10:56PM (#94036)
  • I was there that night too and they were not good DJs. The fades in and out were terrible and when they had a dance floor full of people wanting to dance they played undaceable music. Personally, I feel very ripped off that they were charging ten and fifteen dollars for that night.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @12:40PM (#94151)
  • what else can I say
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @08:44PM (#94219)
  • I caught Andy and Mike in Austin for the DJ Tour and I was hanging out before the show and spoke to both of them at some length. I was so surprised at how nice both of them were. They spoke to me at length about music and lots of things. It was one of the funnest times I have had meeting musicians. I can't stress enough how nice both were and very talkative. It was great. I had both of them sign my Rank cover. It was an amazing night and they were real friendly with everyone there.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 07 2004, @10:36PM (#94222)

[ home | terms of service ]