posted by davidt on Saturday April 03 2004, @09:00AM
2-J writes:

Over on eil.com, the online rare record store, they are listing a re-release of 'Southpaw Grammar', with a catalogue number 'BVCM-37508'. Usually these reissues are just extra pressings, like the UK 'Kill Uncle' last year, but eil.com are claiming that this is a 'digital remastering', and that it is 'scheduled to include rare bonus tracks'. It is supposed to be released on 26 May.

If you want to check it out for yourself, the link is: http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=282167
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • The bonus tracks are not listed on the page. They would be the only way to make me buy this album for the second time (No, i don't want to start the Southpaw debate again) !
    Retired Whore <[email protected]> -- Saturday April 03 2004, @09:34AM (#93604)
    (User #3238 Info)
    Sweet F.A.
  • Why do you need to digitally remaster an album from 1995?
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 03 2004, @09:48AM (#93606)
  • I'm probably the only person in the world that liked southpaw grammar. I expect the bonus tracks to be singles that have previously been released.
    leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Saturday April 03 2004, @10:52AM (#93610)
    (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
    True friends stab you in the front.
    • Re:southpaw by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 03 2004, @11:39AM
      • Re:southpaw by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 04 2004, @05:07AM
    • Re:southpaw by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 04 2004, @07:51AM
  • I bet the rare bonus tracks are "Nobody Loves Us" and "You Must Please Remember". Which leads me to a question which has always bothered me: why did "Nobody Loves Us" not make it onto Southpaw Grammar? The album is less than forty minutes long, so space is not an issue, and while I agree with an earlier post that I do not want to re-open the debate on the merits of the album, can anyone really argue that "Best Friend on the Payroll" is a better song than "Nobody Loves Us"? The former screams B-Side.

On a related note, I used an audio mixing program on "The Operation" in which I cut out the drum intro and replaced it with a slow fade in at the end of the drum solo. I love the drum solo in concert, not so much on the album... It's surprising how well it works.

My next project will have to be the ending of "Moonriver" which features two minutes of wailing. Why Moz, why?
    vauxninefive -- Saturday April 03 2004, @11:39AM (#93616)
    (User #10547 Info)
  • Looks like RCA are trying to make the best of their 1-album deal with the Moz...by reissuing the only album they did with him.
        B-sides will probably be the 2 from 'dagenham dave'
        Wasn't this one recorded digitally...so what good is digitally remastering going to do?
        We'll probably see another compilation from EMI before the year is out.....
    robert -- Saturday April 03 2004, @08:23PM (#93667)
    (User #95 Info)
  • Fuck those remastered cd´s! Does anybody actually hear a difference from the original version of "Viva hate" and the Deluxeversion?

Bollocks! Great bonustracks though.
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 03 2004, @08:42PM (#93669)
  • http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1870636

Doesn't really add anything I'll grant you, and my Japanese is a little rusty (re: non-existent) but I don't care, I think "Southpaw Grammar" is bloody ace*.

(*Though I too must admit to cutting down on the drum intro to 'The Operation' using the cut-in facility on my iPod, so I can add it back in anytime I like!)
    carlos_blakos -- Sunday April 04 2004, @12:19PM (#93766)
    (User #8420 Info)
  • You're right the extra tracks probably will be those 2 b-sides from Dagenham Dave, but don't forget the live tracks from Boy Racer, live versions of London, Bill Budd etc. Bet they'll use them. I might buy it. But then again, I might not.
    Rico -- Monday April 05 2004, @07:56AM (#93823)
    (User #3487 Info | http://profiles.myspace.com/users/5347553)
    Karma equals minus infinity, but I stand up for the truth
  • Happy to see news of this release as I live here and was getting jealous of all the activity in the UK and US!

The only sentence that has any specific info about extra tracks says:

"Slated to feature extra tracks such as live versions of tracks from [Morrissey's] previous album, 'Vauxhall and I'."

For the Japanese edition of "You Are the Quarry", there is a 13th track listed as a "Bonus Track", without a title as of yet. This is usually done with domestic releases of foreign albums so they can compete for sales with cheaper import versions.
    king leer -- Monday April 05 2004, @10:45AM (#93835)
    (User #80 Info)
  • This 'Southpaw' could just be the first to show up -- Didn't the Mozzer say/answer a question in a back-page interview last year that *all* of his albums were being remastered? (can't be arsed to look up the article right now...) I'd imagine we'd see these later in the year, too coincide with touring, etc...
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 06 2004, @07:43AM (#93913)

[ home | terms of service ]