posted by davidt on Sunday December 28 2003, @02:30PM
2-J writes:

The Guide is the weekly listings magazine that comes with the national newspaper The Guardian here in the UK. This week there is a round-up of the best music books of the year, by Ian Gittins. 'Saint Morrissey' is one of the five chosen, along with John Harris's 'The Last Party', Frank Owen's 'Clubland Confidential' Mark Pytlik's 'Bjork:Wow And Flutter' and Sting - Broken Music.

The review in full:

MARK SIMPSON Saint Morrissey (SAF, £16.99)
Freely admitting to an adolescence both elevated and ruined by the bequiffed one, the erudite Simpson gives a compelling account of his youthful - and adult - fascination with the bard of Whalley Range/Beverly Hills: "The first Smiths album, filled me with a lust to go out shoplifting expensive perfume with which to spray bus shelters". His conclusion? "Morrissey is a Northern Woman, and a queer fish". A nimble essay which gives fandom a good name.
Ian Gittins.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • It is a good book & I enjoyed it, but what on Earth is a "Queer Fish?"

Pai, New Zealand
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 28 2003, @10:18PM (#82881)
    • Re:Queer Fish by clueless_joe (Score:0) Monday December 29 2003, @01:35AM
    • Re:Queer Fish by 2-J (Score:1) Monday December 29 2003, @10:56AM
  • Droll (Score:1, Insightful)

Very droll......from his reading of the first few pages i instantly found it to be another excuse to earn money off Mr Stephen's back yet again, and Simpson was far from enthralling! My opinion only of course.
    mbb321 -- Monday December 29 2003, @03:40AM (#82892)
    (User #1889 Info)
    "Dink Dank Doo!"
    • Re:Droll by Anonymous (Score:1) Monday December 29 2003, @11:06AM
    • Re:Droll by mbb321 (Score:1) Tuesday December 30 2003, @05:12PM

[ home | terms of service ]