posted by davidt on Thursday December 18 2003, @10:00AM
Peter spiles writes:

I just saw something on MTV where Atomic Kitten were giving fashion critique on a parade of celebrities at a film premiere. They met Chris Pontius (Jackass) who had a jacket with MORRISSEY written on the back of it. One of the girls then said "Morrissey, oh that's cool...yeahhh, Morrissey of the erm... Smiths. Verrry cool" - obviously having that information fed through an earpiece and being totally unaware of who The Smiths were. Still, apparently it is "cool" to like Morrissey now. How reassuring for all us long-term fans to finally get some credibility...

Oh, and Pontius kept saying something like "Morrissey is my n*gg*r" which seemed to be showbizspeak for a compliment.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • ... yeah, "cool" like hell. I think I'll stop liking Morrissey. Company of such 'fans' is too much for me.
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 18 2003, @10:39AM (#82316)
  • I'm just surprised by how all of a sudden many rock/punk band and celebrities think it's "cool"
    to like Morrissey and The Smiths again. As if they
    were ashamed of it before....
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 18 2003, @11:01AM (#82322)
  • Who in under fuck gives a flyin shite who likes Morrissey?????????? Don't turn being a Morrissey fan into a nerd cult like being a Treckie or a bloody Dr Who nut. Music is for everyone and to be honest I could'nt care less if even George Bush danced around the White House to Billy Budd or the Arsenal team took their post match bath to Swallow On My Neck.
    I enjoy the music of moz n that is all that matters.

Tony H
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 18 2003, @11:29AM (#82328)
    • Re:Ohhhhhhh by Marillion fan (Score:0) Saturday December 20 2003, @09:39PM
      • Re:Ohhhhhhh by MasterOfWho (Score:1) Tuesday December 23 2003, @04:26AM
    • Re:Ohhhhhhh by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday December 21 2003, @03:55AM
      • Re:Ohhhhhhh by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday December 21 2003, @05:33AM
  • But I suspect that the jacket in question was probably a Peter Morrissey design, rather than a jacket giving props to our musical hero.

Peter Morrissey is a big name Australian fashion designer, and a lot of his stuff is quite plain with the word MORRISSEY in bold type. (The big department store in Central Auckland sells boxer shorts with MORRISSEY on them!)

I couldn't find a URL but here's his bio ...

Peter Morrissey has been a leading force in Australian fashion for twenty years. The design concept revolves around the notion that people like to look and feel sexy without fuss, and to live a fast and modern lifestyle with ease. Morrissey has extended his design concept to encompass sunglases, leather goods, jewellery and the new brand Morrissey X.

When I was in Australia last year I was a bit taken aback to find a shop called "Morrissey", selling loads of t-shirts and boxers with "Morrissey" emblazoned on them.
    LawrenceM -- Thursday December 18 2003, @12:44PM (#82341)
    (User #3228 Info | http://listen.to/orangejuice)
    "I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn"
  • A gobshite off an inane "comedy" programme and a brain-dead bimbo from a crappy girl "band".
    Jesus,boys and girls,we're in great company.
    O'Muirgheasa -- Thursday December 18 2003, @01:11PM (#82347)
    (User #7536 Info)
    Perhaps my best years are gone.When there was a chance of happiness.But I wouldn't want them back.
  • chris pontius is one funny bastard. it's actually great to see that he also has great taste in music. i guess it was his idea to play panic on jackass.
    leedoggpimp <[email protected]> -- Thursday December 18 2003, @01:19PM (#82348)
    (User #2789 Info | http://www.morrisseymusic.com/)
    True friends stab you in the front.
  • You shall not forget that Atomic Kitten creator/manager/songwriter is Andrew McCluskey former Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark member. I give some credit to the girls 'cause the possibilitie of heard Smiths/Morrisey music came from McCluskey himself at some point of working together while their recording or rehearsal sessions.

Irving
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 18 2003, @02:37PM (#82360)
  • Moz would be spinning in his grave if he were alive today. Talk about damned by faint praise... from even fainter "musicians".
    watfordtakeabow -- Friday December 19 2003, @06:41AM (#82403)
    (User #7333 Info)
    Listen to 'Death At One's Elbow', you'll get to like it.
  • why is there always this absurd idea about it suddenly becoming cool to like morrissey, as if you all love some obscure artist? the smiths and morrissey were tremendously popular...the only reason he's not in the spotlight now is because his records are crap. you're not all in on some special secret.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 19 2003, @03:56PM (#82429)
    • Re:dorks by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday December 19 2003, @04:30PM
      • Re:dorks by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday December 19 2003, @04:46PM
        • Re:dorks by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday December 19 2003, @06:55PM
    • Smiths were never that popular by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday December 21 2003, @03:16AM
  • I'd hanker a guess that it was the delightful Jenny Frost who knew who Morrissey was. She seems more "intune" (quite literally) than the other two...
    Anonymous -- Friday December 19 2003, @04:42PM (#82433)
    • Re:Jenny Frost by davidtwigg (Score:1) Sunday December 21 2003, @08:45AM
    • Re:Jenny Frost by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday December 21 2003, @11:49AM
  • i know it's disturbing to hear such comments on the most hideous channel on this planet, but... two nights ago i was playing records in the club where i dj for an indie-dark night: when "Everyday Is Like Sunday" started this young, YOUNG guy (he must has been 19 or so) came to me to say thank you... HE WAS IN TEARS! the malady MUST linger on somehow.
    StaySick!
    maccoz -- Saturday December 20 2003, @04:18AM (#82461)
    (User #9279 Info)
  • Here we are again, Hating the encroaching, haneous channel MTV. IT may as well be CNN or FOX because the drivel is the same, precipitating from those other supposed "seperate" channels. Well anyway, The foul that Atomic Kitten makes is dead obvious the break-through between reality and the less-powerful illusions of what A bolshit rock facade creates. Atomic Kitten sucks and Chris Pontius is alright, atleast he was probably making the gesture that Moz is his Nigger because these peeps don't know if he's black white, dead, a talltale, a figment, so he intuited that and fucked with the corrosive MTV. No people he is part of the most emotive band of their time, and simply a great addition to the world of biggoted snobs. Actually i don't like him because he's beyond rich, and i find people with much wealth are detestable. What happened to your face of melting snow?
    speedway_wilde -- Monday December 22 2003, @06:00AM (#82542)
    (User #1271 Info | http://www.johnfrusciante.com/)
    wild child full of grace, saviour of the human boy rac er

[ home | terms of service ]