posted by davidt on Wednesday October 15 2003, @09:00AM
Rowan Wilson writes:

Please find attached a press release for a new series of books that we are publishing. The series, called 33 1/3, consists of passionate books on classic rock and pop albums of the past 40 years, from Pink Floyd to Dusty Springfield, from The Smiths to Love.

33 1/3 press release (Word format, 171k)
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Joe's book (Score:2, Informative)

I got a copy of this from the publisher a few weeks ago.

It's a great book, and a really nice companion to the last Pernice brothers album, "Yours, Mine & Ours" which came out a few months ago. Anyone harbouring pretentions that the Pernice Brothers are an "alt.country" act should give the new LP a listen ... it's full of heartbreakingly beautiful jangly pop songs. Joe shares a similar dour/funny self deprecating sense of humour to Morrissey, and you're never sure just how seriously to take his self-pity. (This is a band which sells t-shirts emblazoned with "I Hate My Life", remember.)

Anyway, the book ... it's a semi-auobiographical novella (around 100 pages) about growing up in an American small town, going to a Catholic school, and listening to The Smiths. Well, more than just listening to ... becomming engrossed in, and obsessed wtih The Smiths. (Something we've all had happen at one point, I'm sure ...) It's not a book "about" the album, but rather, the album serves as a focus for the narrative. It's beautiful, funny, sad and engrossing, and well worth your money.

Why not save on postage and get the book and the new Pernice Brothers album in one shot. You won't regret it ...
    LawrenceM -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @01:51PM (#76910)
    (User #3228 Info | http://listen.to/orangejuice)
    "I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn"
  • The Pernice Brothers are a wonderful group. Joe uses perfect pop melodies as a counterpoint to his often times heartbreaking and always literate lyrics.

They're just as good live as they are in the studio. If you ever get a chace to see them don't miss it!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @10:03PM (#76951)
  • Alright! I'd read about the series on the Velvet Underground Web Page [aol.com], but I didn't know yet both of my favourite bands were getting the treatment.
    Am I correct in assuming the Meat Is Murder is the only "non-factual" book in the series? All the other ones mentioned in the press release are fairly straightforward "makings-of" (which I don't mind – or, rather, I do – I would have liked each book to be a bit of both, like the Dusty one appears to be.)
    Curt Woyte -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @11:44PM (#76962)
    (User #8765 Info)
  • I just read a review of this book in today's Philly Inquirer. Not sure about links, but this is what they say:

"The book that really got me was Pernice’s…full of mordant wit and real heartache. A dead-on depiction of what it feels like when pop music articulates your pain with an elegance you could never hope to muster. ‘Meat is Murder’ does a brilliant job of capturing how, in a world that doesn’t care, listening to your favorite album can save your life"

Now I need to find a copy of this!

In response to Curt's comment above, the article implies that all the other books are fact-based. Warning: it says that the books about Pink Floyd and Neil Young are boring. Surprising, huh?
    catastrophewaitress -- Friday October 17 2003, @08:13AM (#77106)
    (User #9298 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]