posted by davidt on Wednesday October 15 2003, @09:00AM
Benton writes:

In the latest issue of Word magazine, in a section headed "People we like and things they like", Rolling Stone editor Ed Needham says "My holy trinity is Morrissey, Morrison and Cave, with Waits on the bench."

Also in this section, Krishnan Guru-Murthy "Suave anchorman of Channel 4 News" praises The Smiths and refers to the aborted Preston Gig in 1986, and one of the Chemical Brothers picks "The Severed Alliance" as his book choice.

Scans here
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Too bad... (Score:2, Insightful)

...he couldn't have used his influence to get Johnny Marr the greatest guitarist recognition he deserved. ;)
    alainsane -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @12:58PM (#76905)
    (User #460 Info)
  • Too bad... (Score:1, Insightful)

...he didn't use his influence to get Moz on the cover, or even in the magazine, instead of naked Britney Spears pics
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @01:52PM (#76912)
  • Yes, thank you Mr. Needham for helping Morrissey's career so much. I especially enjoyed the following Rolling Stone stories over the years:

1) In 1992, when Moz was on the cover after releasing Your Arsenal, being nominated for a Grammy and selling out the Hollywood Bowl in 16 minutes, faster than the Beatles. The Q & A was great too!

2) The extensive interview you did when Vauxhall went to #1 on the UK Charts. We learned so much about Morrissey in that piece and I actually saved that issue as a momento.

3) Your favorable reviews of Southpaw & Maladjusted. You went where the NME dared to go.

4) The free rare B-side you gave away in 2002, when after just coming off several sold out world tours in a row, despite having not released an album in 5 years, Morrissey decided to cover "Strange Town" by the Jam, a CD that could only be obtained by purchasing the December 2002, issue of Rolling Stone.

5) Naming Johnny Marr as a Top 100 Guitarist of All Time. This made us all giddy!

Thanks. If it was not for all your help, Morrissey would have never gone mult-Platinum in the USA. We are indebted to you, Sir. For where would Moz be without your unwavering support?
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @02:25PM (#76914)
    (User #9224 Info)
    There is a light that never goes out...
  • http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/keeping.htm
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @09:26PM (#76948)
    (User #9224 Info)
  • More Rolling Stone!!

The Link:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainOfFlowers/rstone110697.html

Given the public's perception of you and the way you perceive yourself, how do you think your epitaph will read?

I don't think anyone in the English media would be bothered to write an epitaph for me, to be honest. I don't even think I would bother writing one myself. Generally, in books that are written about what has happened in pop music for the last 15 or 20 years, you'd believe people listen exclusively to Smiths albums. So we get, like, two lines and they get four and a half chapters.
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @10:16PM (#76954)
    (User #9224 Info)
  • Die Zehn besten Alben 1997
    - issued January 1998 -

(The 10 best records of 1997)

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call
    Tindersticks - Curtains
    Chuck Prophet - Homemade Blood
    Oasis - Be Here Now
    Morrissey - Maladjusted
    John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp
    Portishead - Portishead
    The Rolling Stones - Bridges To Babylon
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @10:21PM (#76957)
    (User #9224 Info)
  • the link:

www.los40.com/actualidad/especiales/misc/2002/rolling100/cd02.html

Apparently, a 100 song compilation for sale, wherein "Suedehead" by some guy named Morrissey is track number 17, I believe, on disk #2. You can even listen to a clip of it, or any of the other songs, if you have not already heard them. I've gotta tell you this crooner can really sing!!
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @10:35PM (#76958)
    (User #9224 Info)
  • 3.5 of 5 stars, Rolling Stone

Heaven knows Morrissey is still miserable. True to form on his sixth solo album, Maladjusted, the Mozz pens lyrics that range from laughably snide ("I don't get along with myself/And I'm not too keen on anyone else") to laughably insufferable ("I praise the day that brings you pain"). But despite his predictability, Maladjusted is Morrissey's strongest musical effort since his 1988 solo debut, Viva Hate. "Alma Matters" is the most perfect bittersweet pop confection that Morrissey has done since his days with the Smiths. Other highlights on Maladjusted are the lush piano ballad "Trouble Loves Me," the foot-stomping rock of "He Cried" and the galloping closer, "Satan Rejected My Soul," cash held together by – you guessed it – themes of reflection, longing and despair. Happiness, it was really nothing. (RS 767)
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Wednesday October 15 2003, @11:04PM (#76960)
    (User #9224 Info)
  • Monopolizes bandwidth. Yawn.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 17 2003, @09:28AM (#77122)

[ home | terms of service ]