posted by davidt on Wednesday October 15 2003, @09:00AM
Mrs Riley writes:

They Might Be Giants played a weird show at the Barbican, London, last Saturday (4th October) where they provided live backing music for Writers who stood at the front of the stage reading their stories.

One story by Dave Eggers involved a 15 year old boy, peddling on his bike to his friends while listening to his Smiths mix tape on his Toshiba walkman. Then he starts swerving left and right as he sings along to Well I Wonder, to prove how much he appreciates the song.

At this point They Might Be Giants started playing the first verse to Well I Wonder, really sweetly in the background. It was surreal.

A bit later in the story, the kid proclaims you can only understand the song after 7 repeat listenings in a row, and he's played it so many times his Walkman batteries are flat. TMBG had again started playing Well I Wonder for this part of the reading, and cut the song mid way through when the 'dead batteries' are announced.

Here is a link to the event.

Here is a Guardian review, which briefly mentions The Smiths.

---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

[ home | terms of service ]