posted by davidt on Saturday October 04 2003, @07:15PM
An anonymous person writes:

Will definitely be of interest to Moz & Co. and some fans. Ronnie Dawson passed away last Tuesday (Sept. 30). He was one of the pioneers of rockabilly music. Boz recorded several songs with him. More info can be found at: http://www.ronniedawson.com.

Wake is being held tomorrow (Oct. 5) in Dallas, Texas. A memorial will be held sometime in 2004.

---
I believe Morrissey used one of his songs in the pre-concert intermission back in 1991 or 1992. "Rockin' in the Cemetery" I think it was.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I have several Ronnie Dawson albums, and had a chance to see him live in 1999 in Boston. In fact, I just listened to his album "Rockinitis" the other day, not knowing of his death.

-Harsh Truth
    Anonymous -- Saturday October 04 2003, @07:23PM (#75854)
  • Many great performers have been lost this year. My sympathies to his family and fans.

I am not such a huge rockabilly fan and I dont understand the fascination with that genre but he was a standout among his peers.
    punk_lawyer <{punk_lawyer} {at} {hotmail.com}> -- Saturday October 04 2003, @08:27PM (#75855)
    (User #6043 Info)
    Do you have a vacancy for a back-scrubber?
  • terribly, terribly sad.
    Anonymous -- Saturday October 04 2003, @10:16PM (#75859)
  • it is (Score:0, Redundant)

a damn shame...
    Davy_Havok -- Sunday October 05 2003, @10:45PM (#75926)
    (User #3893 Info | http://blogawayla.com/)
    • Re:it is by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday October 06 2003, @09:19AM
  • Given the current state of this site--which feels overrun with hucksters and hoodlums giving each other positive feedback for socially valueless comments--my first instinct was to think the story a hoax. The Web page cited was so simplistic in its design and statement, that I could not discount the possibility of some miscreant buying this domain name and setting up a Web page for the explicit purpose of faking this person's death. It wasn't until I saw the account on some established, reputable newspapers' Web sites that I was convinced. :(
    Anonymous -- Monday October 06 2003, @09:32AM (#75955)
  • rough few weeks (Score:2, Informative)

For those of us into rockabilly it's been a really rough few weeks. First, Johnny Cash, which we all knew was coming, but given everything he had lived through, most of us probably thought he'd live forever.
    Then Paul Burlison passed away. His name may not be familiar but the guitar sound that he pioneered (by accidentally dropping an amp) can not be underestimated in the history of rock n roll. He was a founding member of the Rock N Roll trio, which many credit to be the first rockabilly band.
    And last Ronnie Dawson, if you ever saw him play live, you know just how special he is. Ronnie was an amazing man, who packed every show with boundless energy, and was always enthusiastic to meet with fans. It is because of a Ronnie Dawson show that I got into rockabilly.
    It's truly been a sad few weeks.
    Rockabilleigh -- Monday October 06 2003, @01:55PM (#75984)
    (User #1007 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]