posted by davidt on Tuesday June 17 2003, @01:00AM
Ben writes:

The Motivators consists of Alain Whyte, Gary Day and Spike T Smith. Here is an mp3 file of a song called "Baby I'm Strange", which will probably be the first single.

The Motivators - "Baby I'm Strange" demo mp3 (4:03, 1.6MB)

The main gig upcoming is at The Spitz-109 commercial street east London. Nearest tube Liverpool street or Aldgate east. There will be a press release soon, and also see local press for more info. Tickets 8 pounds on the door 7 pounds with flyer. There will be two bands opening and The Motivators are on after 9 pm. The date is Tuesday 1st July.

Flyer
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • i cant imagine mozz liking the idea of these guys doing something else than recording the new album.
    we shall see.

maybe mozz is hiring new musicians....or magicians...
    inlovewiththepast -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @01:29AM (#65724)
    (User #1028 Info)
    truth rest your head there is more than a life at stake here..she may well sell sanctuary but she'll also sell your soul
  • We can only hope and pray that they are not working with Morrissey anymore.

It's time for some new musicians who can make a vibrant, fresh sounding album.
    Eric Hartman -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @03:35AM (#65737)
    (User #5103 Info | http://www.patcondell.net/)
    It is a very mixed blessing to be brought back from the dead.
  • This is crap. This is the worst crap since the original soundtrack of Footloose back in 1983. It must've been written by Huey Lewis and performed by Ricky Springfield with an instrumental mix on the b-side and a tacky picture of the guy pretending to play a lightning-shape guitar like a bad boy on the sleeve. It's the Miami Vice revival ! Who the hell is singing ? Is it Alain ? If so, I prefer him when he tries to fake Kirsty Mc Cole in the back with tons of voicoder effect.

I hope Morrissey has found new songwriters for his new album since his actual band has this chef d'oeuvre to achieve.
    Retired Whore <[email protected]> -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @04:47AM (#65745)
    (User #3238 Info)
    Sweet F.A.
    I've just played the motivators mp3 and c'mon, its not THAT bad.
    Alain sounds quite flat sometimes and its the usual plod pop/rock thing , but oddly enough I've got the tune running round in my head already.
    The main reason for this post - So if the rockabilly boys are playing with the newly formed 'Motivators', surely they cant be doing the recording session with Morrissey for the new album , and if theyre not, who is ??
    Upon seeing their flyer, 'pop fiction' and 'harvey keitel ' image........
    Very cool but extremely dangerous.
    'harvey keitel' refused the smiths permission when Morrissey wanted 'keitel' on one of the bands sleeve covers.
    Then 'keitel' got really cheesed off when chat show host 'graham norton' produced a mass marketed 'harvey keitel-reservoir dogs doll' !! keitel was really defensive and started to say 'i never gave them permission' and i'll be seeing my lawyers' blah blah blah. He made himself look very self important and pretentious however great an actor he may be.
    Congrats to 'Ben Gunstone' the motivators support.
    He's from the same good ole sunny town where i'm from ''Melksham'' in Wiltshire, England.....good luck.
    inlovewiththepast -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @05:27AM (#65748)
    (User #1028 Info)
    truth rest your head there is more than a life at stake here..she may well sell sanctuary but she'll also sell your soul
  • It's certainly got an older 80's kinda sound to it, I actually like it. I'll be curious to see what kind of flare the rest of the material has, as I was certainly expecting a much more Rock-a-billy sound when I heard they had started their own band.
    suedehed -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @05:44AM (#65750)
    (User #2482 Info | http://www.dvdeastereggs.com/)
  • Motivators (Score:2, Interesting)

I think it's a great tune! I heard this, and other tunes that the Motivators have done.. It's a good tune, catchy, good guitar riffs, and I think Alain does a good job singing on it. The good thing about the motivators is that their music is diverse, not every tune sounds like Baby I'm strange. I don't understand why people start crapping on the lads when they do something other then support Morrissey. Immediate talk of replacing them really burns me up..Undoubtedly some of Moz' best work has been with this band..
    Vauxhall and I alone shows the talent that these guys have. Alain has wrote songs that are just as good, if not better then Marr's. Is there no loyalty to them?? I am sure Morrissey has some loyalty to them..his 4 latest songs were written with them, so who do you think will support him on the new album?
    I think it's always good to get the creative juices flowing because in the end some good music will come out of it.
    My final point is, if Morrissey did the vocals on this song I doubt people would call it 80's crap! I just think some people like to be negative..
    VIVA Motivators!! Good luck at the gig..

KB
    kb007 -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @06:11AM (#65754)
    (User #314 Info)
    • Re:Motivators by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:07AM
    • Re:Motivators by Mozzarella (Score:1) Wednesday June 18 2003, @12:51AM
    • Re:Motivators by gordotime (Score:1) Wednesday June 18 2003, @06:23PM
  • alain can do no wrong in my book, sounds very nice actually, you just know that people here are gonna diss it, sounds like the thrashing doves a bit (who???) from the 80's, i liked it.

mzn.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @09:08AM (#65774)
  • The Motivators play a session in Liz Kershaw's show, Mon 30 th june (http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/presenters/liz_kershaw)
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:22AM (#65787)
  • i thought the song was very nice. kind of reminds me of the early echo and the bunnymen stuff. maybe morrissey is going to sign them? maybe they hate each other? who knows!!?? no one here knows! No matter how much you think you know, you just dont know... you know?
    VIVAMOZ <[email protected]> -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:26AM (#65788)
    (User #184 Info | http://www.cato.org/)
    blame me! i didn't vote!
  • People should also be checking out the support act on the night Mr Ben Gunstone ex of Johnny Panic...a fine singer/songwriter...a Dylan for our times. www.bengunstone.com
    SundownPlayboy -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:39AM (#65794)
    (User #8548 Info)
    • Re:Motivate Me by VAUXHALL (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:54AM
      • Re:Motivate Me by kb007 (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @12:15PM
        • Re:Motivate Me by SundownPlayboy (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @01:09PM
          • Re:Motivate Me by kb007 (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @01:16PM
            • Re:Motivate Me by SundownPlayboy (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @03:12PM
              • Re:Motivate Me by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 18 2003, @12:18AM
              • Re:Motivate Me by kb007 (Score:1) Wednesday June 18 2003, @05:23AM
              • Ben Gunstone by Sir Hilary Bray (Score:1) Wednesday June 18 2003, @01:21PM
  • What is it with all of you people who do nothing but complain?

I think this song (the only one of theirs that I've heard this far) is actually quite nice. I will most likely be buying their album if it sounds anything like this.

Didn't your mothers ever tell you to shut up if you had nothing nice to say? If not, they should've.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @01:11PM (#65813)
  • It's the epitome of the 'powerchord with jangles' plodding rock that has blighted a lot of moz's later recordings, and it is not was is needed if this much vaunted comeback is to be heralded as a critical success.

In an ideal world the blueprint for the new record would be nick cave's the boatman's call - emotional, pared down music with piano, acoustic and strings. when moz does that he is untouchable.

only a poltroon would not agree that angel angel/i know very well/trouble loves me/lifeguard/i've changed my plea/will never/this is not your country/we'll let you know et al are artistically more enriching than boy racer/satan/the operation/dagenham/ammunition.

it doesn't necessarily require a change of personal. both white and boorer (and the sadly under used cobrin) have penned some delightfully yearning tunes.

he just needs a change of emphasis from the muscular lad rock that at it's frequent worst sounds desperately akin to a bryan adams rhythm track.
    deadpan -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @03:12PM (#65835)
    (User #8414 Info)
    • Re:Crashing Bore by deadpan (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @03:15PM
    • Re:Crashing Bore by SundownPlayboy (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @03:24PM
      • SundownPlayboy, you're annoying by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 17 2003, @08:15PM
        • Re:SundownPlayboy, you're annoying by SundownPlayboy (Score:1) Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:03PM
          • Pedantic twat by Retired Whore (Score:1) Wednesday June 18 2003, @06:41AM
            • Re:Pedantic twat by SundownPlayboy (Score:1) Wednesday June 18 2003, @08:25AM
              • Pedantic dick by Retired Whore (Score:0) Wednesday June 18 2003, @10:03AM
              • Re:Pedantic dick (Score:2, Insightful)

I'm not quite sure why you would be so horrid to me. I genuinely believed that Morrissey fans shared a common bond and certain common interests, including a desire to be kind and gracious as well as witty and acerbic. i really am sorry for whatever it is I have said or done that would make you feel the need to be so vile towards me. i know that humour doens't always come across well in this arena (the written word is a fickle mistress to master) but, sincerely, I was only ever trying to be "witty"...perhaps I have only half succeeded.
                SundownPlayboy -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @01:06PM (#66000)
                (User #8548 Info)
  • Anyone know where I can download more of their music?
    Sal Mineo -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @03:52PM (#65845)
    (User #5109 Info | http://groups.msn.com/SalMineosplace)
    I don't believe in magic anymore
  • can't you hear him singing "sweet child of mine"?
    suzanne -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @04:23PM (#65850)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • nothing special. Sounds like the Rave-Ups regrouped.
    Mannix -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @04:25PM (#65851)
    (User #1379 Info)
  • the thing i find most strange about it is how often the vocal goes off pitch. i think alain is very clever melodically with his moz instrumental contributions ('trouble loves me', anyone?), but this song doesn't do it for me.

lyrics are kind of not good too.
    49 cent -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @09:21PM (#65878)
    (User #8648 Info)
  • i was expecting some derivative rockabilly shit like all the cramps ripoff stuff i end up hearing coming out of various deathrock scenes.. pleasantly suprised to hear a decent pop tune, though they could stand to write some catchier hooks here and there.. it definately blows that johnny marr solo atrocity out of the water. and yes ir'd be nice to hear moz working with some new people, but not because i don't like the old guys! Just because i think it'd be neat to hear someone else invigorating the tried and true songwriting process that moz seems to have worked out. i still think all the new stuff was arranged and played far too slow, i hope the same isn't true for the upcoming releases!
    -Matt
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 17 2003, @11:36PM (#65889)
  • Top stuff from Alain. Really great. I mean, all the full-time/part-time projects that he's been involved in were at the very least 'good'. Born Bad, Gazmen, Johnny Panic, Crash Action, now Motivators, it's all consistently GOOD.

I hope the Motivators put out an album SOON.
    Arthur Daley -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @02:12AM (#65905)
    (User #8651 Info | http://www.framleyexaminer.com/)
    CJ, if you read this: you still owe me twelve quid for the curry. Ta.
  • Does anyone know 'Dangerous Dilettante' by David Devant and his spirit wife? The into to this song is almost identical.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @02:15AM (#65906)
  • Eh? (Score:0, Flamebait)

Why does anyone care about Morrissey's muppet musicians?

it's irrelevant.
    JiltedJim -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @05:03AM (#65927)
    (User #7728 Info)
  • The band sounds awesome. F those people who dont like it and dont understand that the lads just want to do what they do best, play music.
    They havent recorded caca with morrissey for the past years. Let them play hard and have fun and
    support them or go to hell, they deserve it.
    JAMSDEAN -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @10:14AM (#65973)
    (User #8167 Info)

• I would just like to write that I saw the Motos in Peterborough last week and they were awesome! Not only do they have the best drummer that Moz has had(Spikey T Smith) But there songs we're brilliant, they looked fantastic And I really think that they will make quite an impact when there stuff get released. I think all the people on here who have been slagging them off should shut up as they are obliviously not true Moz fans anyway, other wise they would be alot more supportive
    Zilcho -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @03:17PM (#66014)
    (User #8658 Info)
  • It's ok..not bad but not great either. Just kind of there. Definite Echo and the Bunnymen feel. As for what the new Moz will sound like..I say shit! Anyone expecting an old Moz sound will be dissapointed I'm sure. I mean, look at the 4 new songs he playes this past tour..they were all lame. Ok, let me take that back. If you never heard old Moz, they may be ok. Cosidering the classics he has recorded, the new stuff is rubbish. Also, for the record, I loved Southpaw Grammar so I do like his new sound not the recent stuff though. He needs a whole new direction. I say lounge or back to the Kill Uncle style (cause we all know that Bona Drag will never happen again).
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @03:23PM (#66015)
  • when alice split from his band they went on to form the billion dollar babys and like the motivators they sounded ok but the soul was missing. music has never been about hitting perfect notes music is about portraying emotions. i wish the motivators luck cos they sure are gonna need it.
    rik recked <[email protected]> -- Wednesday June 18 2003, @05:58PM (#66030)
    (User #8612 Info | http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rikrecked/)
    rik
  • jeez louise....how can you call Alain and the rest of the lads irrelevant?

And why does everyone hate the Rockabilly genre so much? (Personally I'm very partial to a man with a quiff and turn-ups, but that's just me...)

I like the song, it's a definite grower, and I'll probably go to the gig as well...

Alain and Boz are both fantastic musicians....I'm sensing that a lot of you don't like it cos it's not Morrissey-esque, and nor should it be.
    hinckster -- Thursday June 19 2003, @01:53AM (#66071)
    (User #5417 Info)
    Never eat yellow snow - it'll only end in tears....
  • It is simply ludicrous of "JiltedJim" to claim that Alain, Spike and Gary are trading on Morrissey's fame. All three of them were in bands before they joined Morrissey.

Alain, like Boz, has been a member of Morrissey's band for TWICE as long as J Marr ever was!

What "JiltedJim" is saying amounts to denying Aain, Spike and Gary the right to play/record music in Morrissey's absence lest they be seen as career opprtunists. This is farcical. Like, are they all supposed to abstain from playing or something?

However, no one has a moral obligation to listen to/purchase/like material by Alain, Gary, Boz, or Morrissey. Or anyone else for that matter.

So for instance if you don't like psychobilly but you still bought an album by Frantic Flintstones or Nitros because it's got Gaz on double bass, then you are SAD.

All bands should be judged on merit, and the Motivators are no exception. I personally think they are outstanding and write superb songs.

(Just out of interest - has ANYONE ever bought that Joan Armatrading album on the strength of Boz playing the flute on it?)
    Arthur Daley -- Thursday June 19 2003, @03:58AM (#66089)
    (User #8651 Info | http://www.framleyexaminer.com/)
    CJ, if you read this: you still owe me twelve quid for the curry. Ta.
  • I think the track is ok, I'm always interested in what Morrissey's band members are doing. I've enjoyed the bands side work (Boz/The Nitros/The Deltas) the guys are talented, let them pusue other music.
    ChrisRossetti <[email protected]> -- Thursday June 19 2003, @03:21PM (#66190)
    (User #5546 Info | http://www.crossetti.org/)
  • Je vais le dire en français : c'est juste très mauvais, voilà. I think in English you say that "it sucks". The guitar might be ok, but that's all.
    I just would like Morrissey to make a fresh pop album, with fine tunes to sing when i wake up. That's all.
    Anonymous -- Friday June 20 2003, @12:47AM (#66227)
    • Re:Mauvais by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday June 20 2003, @12:54AM
      • Re:Mauvais by Montaigue (Score:1) Friday June 20 2003, @01:46AM

[ home | terms of service ]