posted by davidt on Thursday June 05 2003, @09:30AM
charles byron writes:

Shirley from Spearmint announced:

"Now I like The Smiths as much as you do, but enough is enough! If you're running an Indie club night, or DJing somewhere, for goodness sake try to be a little more sparing with these boys. One a night is fine, but why so many? Have you no restraint? There are a lot of other great bands you know! It's when The Smiths play and then you reach for the Morrissey that gets me... Anyway, in protest I will now be staging A Minor Smith Revolt, which will involve sitting down, or going to the bar when they come on. I'm sorry that it's come to this..."

now don't send them any abusive message (get the irony for God's sake!) and run to buy their fabulous new EP!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • but your request, "now don't send them any abusive message (get the irony for God's sake!)" will surely fall on deaf ears/blind eyes. i hope i am wrong.
    Johnny Marr -- Thursday June 05 2003, @11:07AM (#64047)
    (User #1113 Info)
    Going Underground
  • Fair point from the band, but another thing that really irks me is the unimaginative choice of songs that 'indie' DJs come up with. If they play a Smiths song, you KNOW it's going to be "This Charming bloody Man". Grr! It's SUCH a cliché! And it's not a particularly good song to dance to in the Smiths back catalogue. Why not be daring and give us something like "What Difference Does It Make?" or even "Panic"? Simarly, I become unhinged when DJs play New Order's bloody "Blue Monday". Decent song though it is, it drags on for too long and it's not a good one to dance too! New Order have loads of great tunes. Pick another! Give us "Ceremony" or "Age of Consent" or "Love Vigilantes". Stop following the herd with your staid selections. This is self-propagating too. DJs look around at what others are playing and follow suit. Yawn. Dig your own brain. Over and out. MES in shoulder padz.
    The Magic Fairy <[email protected]> -- Thursday June 05 2003, @12:53PM (#64077)
    (User #1878 Info | http://www.televisionpersonalities.co.uk/)
    "It was the trousers."
  • If one a night is ok, you should only sit on the second one :)

Like another person said, its always This Charming Man anyway.. so how about this.. sit during This Charming Man and How Soon is Now.

Actually, I've found that The Smiths never sound
    right at a club unless its specifically a Smiths
    night. The Smiths really are something to be
    listened to in the car or while you are at home.

Another thing to think about, most people sit down
    when The Smiths come on anyway so you should be
    successful in your revolt.
    bored -- Thursday June 05 2003, @02:52PM (#64093)
    (User #8415 Info)
  • I can't even remember when I heard The Smiffs in a club for the last time... definetely not here in backwater Munich, Bavaria.....
    Anonymous -- Friday June 06 2003, @03:00AM (#64169)
  • Funny, you can't hardly bribe a small club DJ in NYC to play Smiths / Moz. Maybe Spearmint needs to relocate to our "boorish big apple" and gain solace.
    Asleep -- Friday June 06 2003, @04:50AM (#64196)
    (User #2464 Info)
    "Figures won't lie, but liars will figure."
  • ..are great!! Whatever this comment.. I would seriously recommend their work to any Smiths/Morrissey fan.. Heart felt and poignant.

Shirley Lee is a nice bloke too!
    Ruffian <[email protected]> -- Friday June 06 2003, @05:15AM (#64201)
    (User #1813 Info)
    "In the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more..."
  • I think an Orange Juice night is a better idea. These Smiths nights are ten a penny. Let's play OJ and Edwyn Collins and whirl to destruction instead. Who needs the mouldy and miserable Smiths when you can dance with a big grin to "Falling and Laughing" and "Blue Boy"? Sod Morrissey: Edwyn for President I say! Dktr Faustus.
    The Magic Fairy <[email protected]> -- Friday June 06 2003, @01:05PM (#64258)
    (User #1878 Info | http://www.televisionpersonalities.co.uk/)
    "It was the trousers."
  • Kind of ruins the irony when you have to mention it yourself....
    Anonymous -- Saturday June 07 2003, @05:09AM (#64307)

[ home | terms of service ]