posted by davidt on Tuesday June 03 2003, @09:30AM
John Lewry writes:

The new June issue of RECORD COLLECTOR magazine (UK) has The Smiths on the cover and a 16 page colour feature inside by Simon Goddard. The article is about records that inspired Morrissey and Marr's lyrics and music (eg 'Panic' inspired by T Rex's 'Metal Guru').

Most of it will be familiar with those who've read the book 'Songs That Saved Your Life' but there are a few new bits of fan trivia in there, including more lyrics from the lost song 'A Matter Of Opinion'. The full opening line is...

"Oh, sit by the fire with your books and pretend that you're active
But the very last stage of a nuclear age is unattractive"

There is also a UK Rough Trade discography and a lovely colour spread of the record sleeves. The article isn't available on-line but they do have a website - www.recordcollectormag.com. Somebody ought to scan for sake of those in US as some lovely photos.

---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • ...for the sake of us here in Germany, too! We are quite a few...
    OnlyWithYou -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:16PM (#63708)
    (User #8362 Info)
    I know...and I don't mind.
  • Great pics & subject matter to the article - lots of stuff I'd never known before about Morrissey/Marr influences. Being a former RC subscriber, I like the magazine too. HOWEVER I've always thought the house style of writing is poor - TQID being a "jawdroppingly awesome rock 'n' roll masterpiece" (p33) etc!
    goverton -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @08:13AM (#63846)
    (User #7073 Info | http://www.georgeoverton.com/)

[ home | terms of service ]