posted by davidt on Tuesday June 03 2003, @09:30AM
austere writes:

Just read this:

Smiths special supplement free with this week's NME! - NME.com

"Calling all SMITHS fans - look out for this week's issue of NME, which features a special supplement devoted to the legendary band.

The Smiths special will feature a host of nuggets from the NME archives, including a classic interview, every album review and a look back at the letters Morrissey wrote to the papers a music fan in the 70s, before he became one of the most popular cover stars in NME's history.

We also have a look at classic Smiths iconography, get the stars' opinions on the band, find out what NME.COM readers' 20 favourite Smiths songs are, and give away posters!"

Sounds wonderful.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Good mag (Score:1, Informative)

Bought mine on way home today in London. It's not a bad little supplement. Some nice posters, usual beginner's guide type stuff.

The highlights are the 1985 NME interview with Morrissey by Danny Kelly and the article by Sylvia Patterson about what difference The Smiths DID make (there's a funny story about meeting Morrissey in a pub in Camden too).

I know it's the NME but it's worth £1.60, if only for this week only...
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @10:50AM (#63682)
  • Could someone post the 20 favourite songs? It should be interesting...
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:22PM (#63711)
  • Is it possible to order it from Sweden and get it delievered, if so, HOW?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @01:20PM (#63729)
    • Re:Buy abroad (Score:2, Informative)

It's avaliable in most 'well-sorted' newspaperstores (is that even a real word?), and if you don't live in a city that has one, you can always try www.press-stop.se

Hope that helps.
      bjaebb -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @04:15PM (#63754)
      (User #8393 Info)
      • Re:Buy abroad by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 03 2003, @11:31PM
        • Re:Buy abroad by bjaebb (Score:1) Wednesday June 04 2003, @01:15AM
          • Re:Buy abroad by bjaebb (Score:1) Wednesday June 04 2003, @03:37AM
            • Re:Buy abroad by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 04 2003, @09:04AM
              • Re:Buy abroad by bjaebb (Score:1) Thursday June 05 2003, @01:15AM
  • Someone PLEASE scan the pictures, or at least describe in great detail these so called posters which came with it. Thank you!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @08:42PM (#63778)
  • You know what, I can not stop laughing over how the bloody NME WONT stop exploiting us Smiths/Morrissey fans. This coming from rag that had a MAJOR part in DESTROYING The Smiths, the cunts that started the WHOLE Morrissey's a RACIST bullshit. They can't wait (I'm sure) to give Morrissey's new album (when it comes out) a horrible review, they are the MONSTERS that have poked fun of Mike and Andy and discredited thier talents but, aside from all that....they have to gaul to put out anything out on the band or Morrissey after all the damage they have done. They should be ashamed of themselfs.
    Will I go out and buy the NME for the Smiths supplement? Yeah, I'm a fan but, unlike them, I'm a TRUE fan in it for the music not for the money or how many issues they'll sell by printing LIES!
    Gin N Tonic Jil -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @08:01AM (#63843)
    (User #7276 Info)
    You're not down with who I am but, look at you now you're all in my hands...tonight I'm a Rock N' Roll Star!!
  • Last time i browsed through it I came across two full pages advertising ringtones. nuff said!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @10:30AM (#63863)
  • I want one. :(

If someone can get me a copy, I pay for it and shipping and handling.
    broccoli_spears -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @11:27AM (#63866)
    (User #3308 Info)
    We don't do crack. We don't do that. Crack is whack. - Whitney Houston
  • Just to let you know, i'm beginning to scan the nme pages, might have them done by the end of the night.
    will post them on the discussion board.
    or discussion bored, thanks to mozzerian.
    xx
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @12:25PM (#63875)
  • Star or not, I am always disappointed with the public opinion which is obviously distorted by the opinion of someone who told them what to think. I hear people say he is "whiny", and most of the time its because they heard someone else tell them what he is, then upon hearing a song decided to buy into the definition without a second of self interpetation. Culture the Vulture, our belief that someone cooler than has an insight that overides our opinions of life.
    MasterOfWho -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @07:24PM (#63910)
    (User #7664 Info)
    Is there room in your heart for a Tennant who carries a Rose? http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/
  • To say the least truly disappointed.

The opening page has a photo of some berk in what is supposed to be a funny BEFORE and AFTER pose where before the Smiths he eats big macs and drinks lager and after listening to the Smiths he reads Oscar Wilde and sticks flowers out of his back pocket. HOW PATRONISING!

This kind of shit does a disservice to what it is to like The Smiths and Morrissey and panders to the usual stereotype.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 05 2003, @12:59AM (#63930)
  • I haven't really looked at NME for years, primarily because I haven't given a tinker's cuss for any new performers, so buying this weeks for the threadbare pamphlet was quite an awakening. When did it become so dumbed down? The Smiths booklet was little more than a slew of glossy pics (and posters - how very 1970's). There was precious little analysis of the group's impact or legacy and only scant reference was made to the music.

The group would be much better served by one of those NME compilation mags, when at least the writers had passion and a modicum of intelligence.
    deadpan -- Thursday June 05 2003, @07:34AM (#63981)
    (User #8414 Info)
  • I recommend getting this edition of the NME if you are a serious collector of Smiths memorabillia - stunning centrefold of Moz in Smith days holding pink gladioli overhead and sporting pretty pink and white beads and a heavy tweed overcoat - never seen this pic before, and what a remarkable image it is too!

It is so easy to forget now, but back in the mid-80's Morrissey was messianic figure, and many people like me, waited with bated breath for his Epistle to be printed to his apostles every week in the NME! God be with the days!

Like many people in here, I haven't bought the NME in years. But quickly scanning the articles about bands I've never heard of; pages of abundant advertising filler (does Richard Fucking Branson own The Enemy? He must have, as Virgin Megastores and Mobile have 4 full pages of advertising combined); plus all that ringtone nonsense; one realises what a seriously dumbed down society we have become over the past few years. How could anyone buy this rubbish on a WEEKLY basis?

At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, the glory days of NME are long gone. When it was a fortress for the hip swinging, gun toting, smart alec, sophisticated personae of journos like Tony Parsons, Nick Kent and Julie Burchill, readers were THEN actually literate and literary. Smart to Patti Smith and The New York Dolls like Our Steven Patrick - who actually wanted a career with them reviewing gigs and singles after leaving school - readers wanted their intelligence to be complimented rather than insulted like it is nowadays.

Reading the NME in the 70's/80's was almost like booking a table weekly at the famous Algonquin hotel in Manhattan, and being superbly entertained by the savage caustic wit of Dorothy Parker and Charles Kaufmann.

Reduced in size, with fewer polysyllabic words, and it's slimey silvery scratchcard, it's a pathetic shadow of it's former self.

Nowadays it is just The Daily Sport, for illiterate musos and bored teenagers who like looking at pictures while they're waiting to receive their next text message.

Text messages without vowels that is. With syllables reduced, vowels dropped, there will come a point where we will just drop words altogether, at which point the NME will be published with full blown pictures of gigs of the week only.

As we'll all be reduced to communicating by sign language, many will have their redundant vocal cords surgically removed in order to assist the evolution of the mute human species and The Smiths with their higly articulate, literate and literary front person will be just a very distant memory.
    Lazy Sunbather -- Thursday June 05 2003, @04:35PM (#64113)
    (User #843 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]