posted by davidt on Tuesday June 03 2003, @09:30AM
Brian G. writes:

Hey, there's a kid here who'd like your comments on one of his recent comics. It's based on the song "Well I Wonder". Based on what you guys say, he'll keep up the drawing. He calls it a 'graphic poem'.

Well I Wonder...
Art: Auguste Meyrat

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Not sure how good it is (I was so crap my art teacher always accused me of being bad deliberately), but I certainly like it.

Especially the way they both eventually follow the lyrics is good.

Also liked the bit on the bus. Never being one to miss out an opportunity to play the drama queen, I'm sure Morrissey would have loved describing the tripping up on the bus as "gasping" and "dying".

I'd love to read more!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @10:40AM (#63679)
  • Nice art...

I love this song and the comic is very cool, really suited the lyrics.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
    2-J -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @11:18AM (#63687)
    (User #4798 Info)
  • I really liked it. I think you really captured some of the sadder side to the song. As long as two mechanics don't go chasing around the protagonist with large wrenches I would love to see more. (bad A=Ha reference)

I would be very interested in how well you are able to capture the humour Morrissey so often interlaces in his lyrics.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @11:28AM (#63692)
  • I thought it was sweet and...well, you never know do you? I really like the ending.

I love your work. I'd like to see more.
    hand in glove -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @11:41AM (#63695)
    (User #827 Info)
    "Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together" - Marilyn Monroe
  • I'll certainly be listening to Well I Wonder in a different way from now on...
    DanielGaunt -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @11:54AM (#63701)
    (User #6736 Info)
    • Re:Nice... by Alex Large (Score:1) Tuesday June 03 2003, @03:33PM
  • ... very nice visual interpretation... not exactly what I had in mind when I listen to it but it's nice to see how others view the songs...

Cheers!!

Jay
    I'm really just Some Totally Random Moz Fan
  • Very touching indeed. Oh the memories...
    Joemoz -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:16PM (#63707)
    (User #1342 Info)
  • Oops! (Score:0, Troll)

Whilst I appreciate the artistic bent of the fartist, this is a crock of shit.
    There's about as much thought and imagination gone into this as a current episode of Eastenders.

Surely your anime would be far better suited to a Nik Kershaw ditty?
    blemtheblemish -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:20PM (#63709)
    (User #8101 Info)
    • Re:Oops! by hand in glove (Score:1) Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:39PM
      • Re:Oops! (Score:2, Insightful)

It's not a question of whether I can do anything better, sunshine.
        Because something posted has a link to Morrissey or The Smiths, it doesn't mean it's of artistic merit or indeed of interest.
        It was a good idea, followed through with very little imagination.
        blemtheblemish -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @01:02PM (#63725)
        (User #8101 Info)
        • Re:Oops! by hand in glove (Score:1) Tuesday June 03 2003, @01:51PM
  • that comic was horrid. it looks like pokemon. you need to establish a technique that is your own, man.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:29PM (#63715)
    • Re:yes by hand in glove (Score:1) Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:42PM
      • mozzerian by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 04 2003, @05:44AM
        • Re:mozzerian by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 04 2003, @02:20PM
        • Re:mozzerian by hand in glove (Score:1) Wednesday June 04 2003, @03:57PM
          • Re:mozzerian by hand in glove (Score:1) Thursday June 05 2003, @04:53AM
            • Re:mozzerian by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 05 2003, @07:10AM
              • Re:mozzerian by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 05 2003, @07:17AM
                • Re:mozzerian by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 05 2003, @07:25AM
                  • Re:mozzerian by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 05 2003, @07:33AM
                  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
            • Re:mozzerian by hand in glove (Score:1) Thursday June 05 2003, @03:59PM
      • Re:wowzers by hand in glove (Score:1) Wednesday June 04 2003, @03:46PM
  • I liked it, it was sweet, and it doesn't matter that the style wasn't original, because the words weren't original. Like Morrissey, the artist has meshed influences together and created something new. It works.
    MyMelody -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @12:48PM (#63720)
    (User #2329 Info | http://lightupvirginmary.blogspot.com/)
    ...don't make fun of me later... cos I'm just lost...
  • without imagination
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @02:54PM (#63742)
  • the kid merely submitted his artwork...

in many respects, this is an online **FAN**zine. David T posts content per his discretion...

remember xerox punk fanzines? worthless publications in the scheme of things but at least someone put their own creativity to test...

no need to bash the poor child for youthful pretention...
    texaho -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @03:32PM (#63748)
    (User #438 Info)
  • I hate anime, so much...i just hate that style of drawing, i don't think it should be called "art"
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @04:36PM (#63760)
  • Most of the people criticizing this comic are older people who have no understanding of anime. I think it's a very nice effort and doesn't deserve some of the grouchier comments posted here.
    Pinefox 4eva -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @06:03PM (#63765)
    (User #8333 Info)
  • Rather dramatic and the art really needs work, not just that you need to get yr. own style and technique (which you do) but also you need to work on yr. compositions (usually it was just the characters dead-center). But, it was very sweet and sincere, which most certainly earns points.
    ed is dead -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @06:35PM (#63771)
    (User #8319 Info | http://www.mnartists.org/Ed_Moorman)
    "In my Kosmis there will be no feeva of dischord; all my immotions will function in hominy and kind feelings" - Krazy Ka
  • I thank you all for taking notice of my cartoon. I enjoyed all the comments and they were very encouraging. Even the critical ones -they reminded me of my family, hehe-. I'm sorry for not being original and not having a distinct style of my own. I can only say that it's the way I draw. Though, I always thought it was more European (like Tintin) than Japanese. Perhaps the face is a bit like manga. But, I don't think any artist had a real style of his own at my age (Mozart, Michelangelo, Ingres). They were all just following the masters then deviating as they matured. But, despite this, I appreciate your interests. Be sure that I'll do another song in the future.
            By the way, I caught that A-ha reference.
    ameyrat -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @10:07PM (#63784)
    (User #8465 Info)
  • I really enjoyed the comic. It really captures the feeling of the song and to me it looks like almost a personal experience of yours maybe? (a wild guess) I like the drawings- it is how I draw kind of. If you don't mind, I'd like to try to draw a song as you did.
    tanukisutsu -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @11:58PM (#63791)
    (User #7560 Info)
  • Not really outstanding, but nice, charming and sweet.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @01:00AM (#63797)
  • Forgive my reference to Mozart, Ingres, and Michelangelo. It was terribly conceited of me. I'm a flea compared to them. I just meant to say that almost all artists come into their own style and become orginal usuually quite late in life.
    ameyrat -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @02:08AM (#63807)
    (User #8465 Info)
  • Re:Bloody hell. (Score:2, Insightful)

Oh come on. People aren't criticising it for the sake of it, they are just being honest. I didn't think much of it either - it was just a hackneyed version of what people who know nothing about The Smiths think the songs are about. As if Morrissey has only ever written songs about shy boys who are too scared to talk to girls. Jeez, grow up.

Hope he doesn't do I Know It's Over next - it'll take him five years...
    Alex Large -- Tuesday June 03 2003, @02:07PM (#63737)
    (User #8218 Info)
    • Re:Bloody hell. by maladjustedduck (Score:1) Wednesday June 04 2003, @07:03AM
      • Re:Bloody hell. (Score:2, Insightful)

Hmmmm hardly. The replies to this thread, and many others, are cluttered with such sycophant gush that you have to give an honest opinion.
        Why would you want to illustrate this song in another way?
        The positive feedback is that it's pointless, unoriginal and boring.
        I wonder how many other people would have guessed that cartoon, the rain, the staring out of the window....come on.
        blemtheblemish -- Wednesday June 04 2003, @11:09AM (#63865)
        (User #8101 Info)
        • Re:Bloody hell. by maladjustedduck (Score:1) Thursday June 05 2003, @07:17AM
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]