posted by davidt on Monday March 31 2003, @10:00AM
A Bullied Child writes:

"SUCH A LITTLE THING MAKES SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE"

During the Colorado Springs gig I got the chance to give Morrissey a book of my Art and Poetry (if you look in the archives of that show you will see my whole story) but I gave my book to him at the concert and at the end of the book I said-"If lost please return to owner", then I put my address on there.

Well just two days ago I got a package in the mail...

:)
I am like oh what the hell could this be? I looked at the brown bubbled enveloped package and saw that my name and address were written with back permanent marker-well I tore the very corner...peaked inside and saw it was my book I gave to Morrissey it was easy to recognize due to the rainbow colored pages...I looked at it-then FREAKED out!!!

I literally started screaming, jumping up and down and I couldn't bear to open it and my parents are freaking out cuz they are like, "WHAT IS IT?" Then I am like trying to choke out the words but all that came out was "Book........Morrissey" finally I said:
"My book I gave to Morrissey"
THEN my parents are like..."ooooh"
So my Dad grabbed it from me and opened it to see if he left a note or wrote in the book...
but alas no note, nothing written in it...
BUT...

The Envelope
okay-the postmark is from Los Angeles-
There was no return address on it
and the best----
My name and address are written in Morrissey's writing!!! (pictures of the envelope and my book can be found here, under the "pictures" link)

I am damn sure Morrissey wrote on the front....I have the Morrissey font on my computer and I typed out what it would look like if he wrote it and it looks damn close to what is written on the package...but permanent black marker does tend to smooth out the jagged edges a person would leave....so I think it may have smoothed out his writing but alas...Morrissey sent me my precious journal/book of art and poetry....Thank you Morrissey for returning it and I hope he got a chance to read what was inside. I dunno it made my whole year that he did that. He is truly a sincere and down to Earth kinda guy.

To quote him:
"Such a little thing
A gentle tone of kindness
Or written words on paper
- can you write ?"

I thought it was amazing he took the time to mail it back to me because that book was dear to me yet I wanted some of the things inside for him to read....plus my address and stuff was waaaay at the end of the book so he would of had to of flipped through the pages.

Thats my story and I rest my case that Morrissey has to be the kindest man on the planet...he truly cares about his fans!!:)
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Coooool story- thanx for sharing ;^)
    I'm really just Some Totally Random Moz Fan
  • But the writing on the envelope and the Moz font look nothing like each other. As a collector of Morrissey Signature memorobilia I can safely say that you have been had. Probably some guy from LA sent it after finding it the show. Nice story though, to bad it isn't real.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 31 2003, @10:20AM (#57127)
  • Hmmm. (Score:2, Insightful)

I think it does look like his writing...no way to tell for sure, but no point in pouring cold water on her story.
    Gabriella -- Monday March 31 2003, @11:20AM (#57140)
    (User #7960 Info)
    And me and my heart, we knew...we just knew...forevermore...
  • I looked up the following zip-code and wall-lah. It appears that everything adds up to Moz. Because he lives around all the areas listed by the post office below(most likely West Hollywood). You are lucky. Enjoy.

Signed,
    Jeffrey H.

90048 is associated with the following Cities/Towns:

City State City/Town Status ZIP Code Type
    LOS ANGELES CA ACCEPTABLE (DEFAULT) STANDARD
    BICENTENNIAL CA NOT ACCEPTABLE - USE LOS ANGELES STANDARD

BRIGGS CA NOT ACCEPTABLE - USE LOS ANGELES STANDARD

WEST HOLLYWOOD CA ACCEPTABLE STANDARD
    Anonymous -- Monday March 31 2003, @11:28AM (#57142)
  • That's really awesome. The writing does look similar to Moz's, and if it is from the LA area, then... it may be a little more than wishful thinking! ;)
    Anonymous-shnonymous <[email protected]> -- Monday March 31 2003, @01:19PM (#57154)
    (User #6230 Info | http://opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=A128747)
    Anything is hard to find when you will not open your eyes.
  • I believe your story. Morrissey has done that several times from what I have heard, so be happy, it's real!
    Anonymous -- Monday March 31 2003, @03:25PM (#57175)
  • during the scandianvian tour of 1986, I gave morrissey my lucky pair of underwear, which of course had the same 'if lost, return to sender' scribbled on the inside tag, right next to my name (thanks mum!)...

however, he's NEVER RETURNED IT SINCE! methinks, he has found much luck and support with my undies.

signed,
    billy liar
    Anonymous -- Monday March 31 2003, @03:26PM (#57176)
  • Well Morrissey's career options were somewhat limited before the Smith's formed over twenty years ago.

The poor man only had two options if The Smiths had folded: to become a forklift driver in a warehouse in Accrington; or don the navy overall and the shoulder bag and deliver post for the Royal Mail in Wythenshaw.

Glad to see he still has a good memory, an eye for detail, and legible handwriting!
    Lazy Sunbather -- Monday March 31 2003, @06:05PM (#57186)
    (User #843 Info)
  • The handwriting on the pink paper is Morrissey's.
    The writing on the yellow package is not, OR its his true handwriting.

Those who have copies of the pen-pal letters he wrote will note that while almost every letter in there is written with the child-like lettering, there is one penned "normally"

I think though that someone used the pink piece to fill out the envelope for him. Just an opinion but the bottom line is that he did return the book and the owner does have that pink sheet which I feel confident in saying is from him.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 31 2003, @10:25PM (#57206)
  • I do think that he might have read the book and of course, sent it back, but I don't think he wrote the address on the envelope...maybe an assistant??? I have 2 dated autographs I obtained from him in person and the 7's on the date of both my autographs are not crossed in either of them...plus, he writes a lot sloppier than that...he wasn't in a hurry when he signed for me and was still very sloppy...this handwriting is too nice and clean. Great story, though.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 01 2003, @02:19AM (#57220)
  • C´mon, the guy returned your precious book and still you are happy that he had time to mail it back to you. This is the stupid kind of fan that now makes me embarrassed to say I like Morrissey´s work. He didn´t care for you I´m afraid to say kid.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 01 2003, @05:58AM (#57235)
  • My Comments (Score:2, Insightful)

Thank to all the sincerely nice people who posted and thank you Suzanne for your always witty and funny posts….yours made me chuckle quite hard. I laughed at the other comments though-especially the one about my nice titties…what charmers those Anonymous people are!:)

It really did make my year though-even if maybe by chance its not his writing….just the fact that he took the time to have it mailed back was very kind of him. Morrissey is really a great guy at heart, not only in his lyrics does it show through, well not counting the old Smith lyrics that are witty and cruel in some instances….but overall his actions really prove he is kind at heart and probably very realistic like he said on Craig Kilborne. I submitted the story out of my own personal glee of which I would like to thank David T. for posting it….he does a wonderful job on this site-plus he is also a nice guy as well. But I posted this out of personal happiness and also to once more prove how nice of a guy he is. But yeah-thanks to all the people who posted nice things about this story….it means a lot to me…
    Thanks!!!:)
    a bullied child -- Tuesday April 01 2003, @02:26PM (#57279)
    (User #4166 Info)
    FAMOUS WHEN published, in other words, WHEN DEAD.
  • now my little tender heart is full.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 01 2003, @07:58PM (#57306)
  • ken...keep up the good work there, cowboy.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 01 2003, @08:04PM (#57307)
  • It's always fun getting things in the mail, anyway! ;)
    hand in glove -- Wednesday April 02 2003, @06:37PM (#57415)
    (User #827 Info)
    "Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together" - Marilyn Monroe
  • What if in the future he made reference to your poetry by like using a piece of it or alluding to it... think about that one.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 02 2003, @06:45PM (#57419)
  • Of course it's him! Tell me, what does Morrissey actually do with his day?

Answer: nothing.

Do you think he actually has anything better to do?
    Little Miss Curious -- Friday April 04 2003, @08:03AM (#57534)
    (User #112 Info)
    [Insert amusing Morrissey lyric here]
  • Re:Returned Book (Score:2, Insightful)

You're just a jealous sod. You'd be psyched too if the roles were reversed... Who cares if he sent it back? The pages look dog-eared to me, telling from the pictures. Besides, I read in an old interview that he doesn't like to keep gifts that people give him. He usually admires it for a while and then sends it back. I think I read it in one of those old interviews at Old Arcade... Anyway, my point still stands (after all my rambling). Now, don't be so spiteful.
    Anonymous-shnonymous <[email protected]> -- Monday March 31 2003, @01:15PM (#57153)
    (User #6230 Info | http://opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=A128747)
    Anything is hard to find when you will not open your eyes.
  • What can we do about anonymous persons who are dickheads? I will have my identity attached to all my postings.

I am certain your book was wonderful. Keep up the good work, and be wary of the dickheads!

Stay positive and terrific as you are. Don't let the a**holes bring you down.

KEN
    sycophantic_slag -- Monday March 31 2003, @01:43PM (#57163)
    (User #3940 Info)
    "And I just can't explain/ So I won't even try to."
  • Cruel ...BUT FUNNY ...ah aha ha ha ....

Bullied Child has nice titties.....
    Anonymous -- Monday March 31 2003, @07:56PM (#57195)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]