posted by davidt on Monday September 23 2002, @09:00AM
glam72 writes:

In the Sept. 16 Chronicle/SF Gate:

Morrissey turns on the charm-Los Jaguares rock out at the Greek Theatre

Excerpt:

By 9 p.m., it was obvious that Saturday's groundbreaking match of British icon Morrissey and rock en Espanol superstars Jaguares was something less than the cultural crossover promoters were hoping for. The closing chords of Morrissey's "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" had scarcely faded when half the audience of Berkeley's Greek Theatre began heading for the exits.

The loss was unfortunate, if not entirely unexpected. The former Smiths' singer has become an idol par excellence for Latino teens drawn to his brooding, barbed and yet lavishly romantic lyrics. But after three albums, Jaguares have yet to be discovered by white America, perhaps because their style is so familiar, hewing closer to North American rock than ever-popular Latin pop.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Okay... (Score:1, Funny)

"November Produced a Monster"

Why doesn't anyone stop these people?
    Anonymous -- Monday September 23 2002, @09:28AM (#42512)
  • Are okay, but there sound is familiar. I think Bon Jovi comes to mind?
    Anonymous -- Monday September 23 2002, @11:04AM (#42524)
  • Jaguares have been around for a lot longer than most people think, or at least a lot longer than anyone has noted on this site. they actually formed around the mid-eighties as Las Insolitas Imagenes de Aurora and eventually became Caifanes. and yes they did gain major success in latino america and are considered true rock legends. in the early nineties i believe, Caifanes broke up only to reform as Jaguares. i just thought i'd note this because i haven't really read anything at this site that told you much about 'em... then again, this is a morrissey web site. regardless, i felt it had to be said
    alero -- Monday September 23 2002, @10:57PM (#42631)
    (User #925 Info | http://www.myspace.com/xino)
    the youngest was the most loved...
  • I think they sound like White-Snake!!!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 24 2002, @11:54AM (#42698)

[ home | terms of service ]