posted by davidt on Wednesday July 17 2002, @09:00AM
Bren writes:

Morrissey has asked Sack to be his support band for the forthcoming tour. Sack aren't sure if they can raise enough money to do the tour yet or not.

Also, at the Witness Festival in Ireland last weekend, the lead singer of Pony Club announced at the begining of their set that Morrissey would be appearing with them. Word seemed to spread quickly and before long people were arriving from everywhere, but yet again he didn't appear. That's the second time the great man has failed to appear in Ireland recently. The last time, with Sack last month.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Won't Sack get paid to do the tour? Surely they won't be expected to pay for it all themselves?

I enjoyed Sack at the Leeds gig in 1999.

Thought the MOZ fans gave them a lot of stick which they took rather well.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @09:06AM (#34075)
    • Re:Money probs? (Score:2, Informative)

as far as i know, nobody ever gets paid to do a support slot. i supported manic street preachers on their 1993 tour in germany, and the tour manager told me it was the first time ever someone got to support someone without paying (and that was only because the manics' record company had failed to supply a supporting act and the manics didn't want us to pay for helping out in the last minute). so: don't blame morrissey, he surely doesn't write the contracts. (nor sign some of them, as it lately seems...)
      dcr -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @10:46AM (#34094)
      (User #5570 Info)
  • Yup (Score:1, Informative)

I can confirm this.
    slug -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @09:28AM (#34078)
    (User #1853 Info | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHeCZzMNFKU)
  • Sack are a great band. from what I have heard, Moz makes the bands who open for him, pay him. That is so wrong. That is probably why they complained about the need to raise money.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @09:42AM (#34079)
  • sort of lame... (Score:1, Insightful)

I think its lame to have the same opening act two tours in a row. Reissue! Repackage! There are so many other bands out there that would be cool to have on the bill.

Well, at least he's not recyling Phranc.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @10:09AM (#34082)
  • Well at least we can take our time arriving at the venues, if he plans to bring them along to any UK gigs.

On the Oye Esteban tour it took all of 3 songs before I got bored with them.

So it looks like I might get a few extra pints in again!
    Jacques Brel -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @10:17AM (#34084)
    (User #4128 Info)
    Travel, trouble, music and art.
  • Re: Also, at the Witness Festival in Ireland last weekend, the lead singer of Pony Club announced at the begining of their set that Morrissey would be appearing with them

Morrissey on the Witnness Rising stage ?
    If that had actually happened, wouldn't it mean that 3 of the 4 ex-Smiths appeared at Witnness ? Johnny Marr last year with Neil Finn and Andy Rourke this year with Badly Drawn Boy ?
    Almodis <reversethis-{moc ... } {ta} {sidomla}> -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @11:12AM (#34098)
    (User #4664 Info)
    ...the Crime they styl'd 'Anonymity.' That is, I left messages posted publicly, but did not sign them. -- Thomas Pynchon
  • yes having the same opening band in two tours is simply dull.

surely moz can get someone, anyone else just to freshen things up a bit.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @11:38AM (#34104)
  • So if they even said that it must've meant that Moz was in the vicinity.....my God. I kept my eyes peeled all weekend just in case I saw him. I wonder did he bump into Andy Rourke?
    Lauren -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @12:23PM (#34110)
    (User #4563 Info)
    If I seem a little strange, that's because I am...
  • I love Sack. I don't think it would be boring to see them again at all. It's not like they've toured over and over again here in the States and we're getting tired of them.

I think Morrissey has wonderful taste and enjoyed touring with Sack, that being the reason he asked them along again. Also, I think any band would be lucky to have Morrissey ask them to tour with him.

By the way: Woo Hoo! I'm seeing Morrissey on my B-Day!! :)
    Erica -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @01:49PM (#34136)
    (User #5339 Info)
  • I heard on KROQ that Dashboard Confessional was opening up for Morrissey at the Anaheim show.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @03:27PM (#34165)
  • Morrissey has lured Healers, Badly Drawn Boy and Aziz as tour supports, but his secret plan is to fire them all before opening on the first date on some trumped up charge such as bacon fantasising, then support himself 'playing' all the instruments while cackling maniacally.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @07:16PM (#34184)
  • maybe seeing if you announce Morrissey's appearance on stage or not is some sort of test over whether you can be his support band. If you announce it, you fail.

who the support band is ranks at near the bottom of my list of concerns, and hovers somewhere around finding out if the line getting into the show will be curved to the left side of the building or to the right side, and slightly below what sort of restroom facilities they have.

although, i'm sure that to some certain people, the invitation of Sack is a great big deal because they now get backstage access and get to party with t'lads.

I've seen clouds from both sides now....
    suzanne -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @09:03PM (#34188)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • I do hope Sack will be the support.
    I would pay good money to go to a Sack show.

I really like their album butterfly effect and I met most of the band and they are all very friendly.

The last tour, they had to borrow money from family and friends to just be able to do the European dates. Getting them to the US is probably quite a bit more expensive.
    isleofdogs <[email protected]> -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @10:56PM (#34193)
    (User #1011 Info)
  • Bring back Elcka. They did not bore me at all. They had a bit of attitude, some cheesy yet good songs about cars, sex and S and M, and were all quite sharp dressers.

What ever happened to the tossers?

Elcka Elcka Elcka

Harrold
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @11:10PM (#34196)
  • Take a lesson from history, Sack. Virtually none of the bands who have ever supported Morrissey or The Smiths have gone on to have any great degree of success. The only one I can think of were James and their success came long after those support slots with a lot of trouble (label problems) inbetween. Most of Moz's support acts are now split, or residing in the where the hell are they now zone.

Differing opinions welcome.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 17 2002, @11:29PM (#34198)
  • Sack are shite. They are boring, ugly and play shit songs. Morrissey fans are so guilible, I mean they only like bands that have supported Morrissey. That is so naff.

The only support band of his I liked was Marion. If you think that Marion were gubbins then you are wrong.
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 18 2002, @01:20AM (#34202)
  • i hope sack will not be opening this tour
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 18 2002, @03:27AM (#34208)
  • Anyone remember the rumour that Duvall would be opening for Morrissey this tour?
    I would love to see that and this is Mike s (from the band) response taken from their website:

-------------------------
    Hey, I don't think we'll be doing that tour. We would definately love to do it but we haven't been asked to do it as far as I know.
    -Mike
    ---------------------------

I still think that Duvall would be the perfect band. I have heard that they are great live and obviously they want to do it.
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 18 2002, @04:42AM (#34211)
  • I can't believe this...though I am glad I got the chance to use that subject line again ;)

They were so boring and anti-glamourous on the last tour that I just can't believe he'd want them again...

I don't think he should have a support band, but if he insists, he should at least be a bit more inventive.
    Joemoz -- Thursday July 18 2002, @05:04AM (#34214)
    (User #1342 Info)
  • Well, if we were ever in doubt that Morrissey is a penny pinching miser, this is it. What kind of fucked up business set up means that the support band have to pay their own fucking way? I mean what the hell is he paying them in? Monopoly money? It's a ludicrous situation. Instead of fussing over who his support band will be we should be looking at the awful smell of Moz's business agenda. Basically whoever his support will be - Sack, whoever - all we know is this: they'll be fucking for nuts.
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 18 2002, @05:50AM (#34217)
    • poor creature you sound so suprised. Opening acts unless supported by their own label, never get much in the way of funds. That is the way it works. Morrissey will not be getting a penny from the band(s) as some other mindless drones mentioned earlier, so please dont think Mr. M is on the take because he is not.
      Personally i think Moz should not have an opening act at all and just walk out and play. no need to stand around for an extra hour and a half while a crap band palys for 30-40 minutes then another 30-60 minutes before the real show begins anyway.
      Johnny Marr -- Thursday July 18 2002, @10:28AM (#34227)
      (User #1113 Info)
      Going Underground
      • Re:Morrissey = tight as a gnat's chuff by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday July 18 2002, @04:44PM
        • Sack could easily go on tour of the US by themselves and get money. It's not written in stone that they must open for anyone, even if they really don't have a following in the states to justify why they would be able to headline a tour.

However, if they hook up with Moz, they are obviously buying the privalege of a large audience (and you know how hard it is being noticed by the general public anyhow), possible press, and the status of being a "real" band playing in "real" venues with the air that they are next in line to be headlining their own shows and have more than 3 people show up.

any band has to be brave enough to open for moz. not only are the fans vicious, but they carry the west nile virus.
          suzanne -- Thursday July 18 2002, @05:23PM (#34271)
          (User #36 Info)
          I scare dead people.
  • If Morrissey is charging people to open for him how much is he going to pay The Jauguars to open for them????
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 18 2002, @06:26AM (#34218)
  • opening act money (Score:1, Informative)

Morrissey is not charging anyone to go on tour. That is not how this works. What he is doing is probably offering them a very small amount of money per night, say $200 or $300 tops. That means that whoever goes is responsible for renting a tour bus and getting the gear moved from place to place, paying for their own hotels and all that. Many shows have a food spread at the venue and the support can often get free food their. I don't know if Moz does this.

Typically, most tours are sponsored by record labels. The label pays all the expenses of the tour and charge the band for every penny they spend.

If through record sales and money made from the shared publishing rights there is more money made than spent, the band will start getting paid by the label.

This is a simplistic overview of how it works and each deal is different but the point I am making here is that if the band is Sack, they don't have a label footing the bill for all the costs incurred in touring and they will have to come up with a lot of money up front and hope to recoup it while on the road or through future sales. They basically become their own venture capitalists.

Touring for an unknown band is about exposure and hopefully selling CD's and other merchandise so that they can grow in fame and get a label to support them.

Morrissey is footing the bill for this tour, as he did with the last one, from his own pocket.

I talked to the security manager from the last tour (The guy that kind of looks like Chris Noth) and he told me that the road crew was paid very well and they were all extremely thrilled at how generous Morrissey was.

Too bad Morrissey does do what Rush is doing this tour and what they did on their last tour. They have no support act. They play for about 90 minutes, take a 20 minute break and play for another 90 minutes.
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 18 2002, @07:41AM (#34220)

[ home | terms of service ]