posted by davidt on Wednesday July 10 2002, @09:00AM
An anonymous person writes: There is NOT a deal with Sanctuary. Do NOT pre-order anything. they are just going to collect the money. let it collect interest, then send the refunds or worse just give you credit on the next purchase. either way Sanctuary makes money off of Morrissey.
---
I haven't heard about this practice, can they be that desperate for that small amount of money?
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • in the bank for the label and also when concert promoters pull the same scam. It does happen.It also drums up interest for a label as well. People visit the site, see what bands are on a label-maybe make a purchase or whatever. A cheap stunt.
    Johnny Marr -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @09:51AM (#33434)
    (User #1113 Info)
    Going Underground
  • When you pre-order something your card doesn't get charged until it ships, so I don't understand how Sanctuary are going to make any money. Surely if Amazon take x amount of pre-orders for this new album they will simply order that many from their supplier and pay for them when they're shipped, so how is anyone going to make anything from any interest if no money changes hands?

I did the same as a person on the thread about the album being on Amazon for pre-order and emailed Sanctuary and this is what I got as a reply:

"Yes, there is a new album due for release in September, however these are all the details I have at the moment.

Do not hesitate to contact us again in a few weeks for more information.

Kind regards
    NAME DELETED
    Customer Services"

So it would appear somebody's talking through their arse, the question is who?
    Mr_Biffo -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @10:50AM (#33438)
    (User #2843 Info)
    "Lies are no comfort when there are tears in your eyes"
  • In the past Morrissey has always been fairly quick to distance himself or issue writs against schemes and projects which he feels bring his artistic integrity into question..'South With Morrissey', 'Exit Smiling'..to name only two..but in this case it hasn't happened.

I too have received a confirmation from Sanctuary that this there is a release scheduled...surely they must be liable to severe legal comeback if this is proved to be a scam?
    Ghostface -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @11:01AM (#33439)
    (User #255 Info)
  • "Can they be that desperate for that small amount of money"? What's the assumption here? That Sanctuary is so desperate for money, that they would try making money even off of Morrissey? Just kidding David. All of us here love Moz but we all know that a new album from him would not exactly shatter pre-order records that soon.
    Jim Rome -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @11:19AM (#33445)
    (User #720 Info | http://www.jimrome.com/)
    ...and how?
  • i was under the impression anyway that amazon won't charge your credit card until it is actually shipped. otherwise, they would have to go through a hell of a time trying to issue refunds.

i would hope that the label contacts that people have been emailing would not be as seedy as to lie about morrissey being on their label, and certainly, if i was morrissey, i would do more than sit back and yawn as fans plunk down money on a non-existant album.
    suzanne -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @12:02PM (#33454)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • This isn't a story, this is just a random comment.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @12:20PM (#33456)
  • 1- why has he been so adamantly skeptical whenever the Sanctuary deal pops up?
    2- why does he, cautious as he has been for the last five years, decides to post a very serious accusation (i.e, that Sanctuary and/or Amazon are/is trying to deceive their customers) sent by an "anonymous" person? Could this be the "Deep Throat" of Morrisseygate?
    3- why, as already mentioned, there's no word from Morrissey's pitbull-like attorneys?

My conclusion: the Sanctuary deal is sinking but not dead, the anonymous person speaks officially (but not publicly) for Moz and davidt is hiding information from us. Otherwise why would he put his and his site's reputation on such a risky situation? There's absolutely no way Sanctuary could be making serious money off this; maybe, just maybe, people are testing the waters to see how much a new Morrissey album would be sought after, but in that case Morrissey has probably joined the conspiracy as well.
    Lies, misinformation, unanswered questions, missed deadlines, sudden changes. I simply knew five years wouldn't be enough to test our faith. But I keep waiting.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @12:40PM (#33459)
  • Don't pre-order this off the internet, not when things are so weird. It's better to support your local record store and buy it upon release.
    Violeta -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @03:16PM (#33484)
    (User #1820 Info)
    swivel and sway
  • OOPS! did they really tell other folks (as posted on the first sanctuary/pre-order post) that there WAS an album?
    because THIS is what they responded to me with... copied straight from my email, no fabrication.

Dear M

Thank you for your email.

Morrissey has not yet signed to Sanctuary and further news on the subject will be posted on the Sanctuary site, as and when we have any news to announce

Regards
    Customer Services
    Anonymous -- Wednesday July 10 2002, @06:09PM (#33530)
  • I too emailed Sanctuary and they were good enough to respond with what looks now to be a standard email message, namely: Thank you for your email. Morrissey has not yet signed to Sanctuary and further news on the subject will be posted on the Sanctuary site, as and when we have any news to announce.
    MSMOZZER -- Friday July 12 2002, @12:19AM (#33627)
    (User #695 Info)
    Retired Mozzerator - MJP.
  • I'M BORED OF THIS ONE NOW!!!

I'll start a new rumour - the Moz album will be available on the tour, one copy per person. If you don't go you won't get one.

That's bullshit by the way.
    Hairdresser on Fire -- Friday July 12 2002, @11:47AM (#33659)
    (User #1016 Info)
    "The typewriter is holy the poem is holy the voice is holy the hearers are holy the ecstasy is holy!" Allen Ginsberg.
  • well, or at least behaves in a likewise manner...
    -fans are put to the test constantly
    -those who follow him get laughed at by those who don't and vice versa
    -he does not give much sign of existance (currently)
    -those who love him will SUFFER

this post is severely dramatised :)
    (yes, i'm frustrated)
    rippergirl -- Friday July 12 2002, @05:18PM (#33677)
    (User #4788 Info | http://users.pandora.be/discworld)
  • see story on the message board:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/discuss/index.cgi?re ad=73749
    I'm really just Some Totally Random Moz Fan

[ home | terms of service ]