posted by davidt on Thursday July 04 2002, @10:00AM
Mother-Me Eyes writes:

I was thrilled to open the August issue of Spin magazine today to find an article about latino Moz fans entitled "Viva Morrissey."

It has a great spread and includes many pictures. It analyzes Moz's latino fan base, the sixth annual Smiths/Morrissey convention, and a reaction by a white couple who think it is all very strange and absurd. There is nothing on the www.spin.com website, so you must buy the issue. It is a must read/have for any true Moz fan. It will enlighten Southern, white boy hooligans, such as myself, who haven't a clue about Latino culture's beauty and hardships.

---
Arlene also sends a link to the Passengers article "Latino Morrissey Fans" - in association with the Passengers television program which first aired in January.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I have been in LA my whole life and I still can't believe that people think Latin=Mexican. IT DOESN'T!!! I hate it when people think that I'm Mexican just because I love the Mozzer. I don't have anything against Mexicans but their culture is different than someone who's parents are from Ecuador. Don't get confused and call all Latin Moz fans Mexicans. I mean if you called Moz Irish and not English I'm sure that he would get pissed. =P
    Stephanye Marr
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 04 2002, @10:48AM (#33066)
  • By tackling this interesting anthropological phonomenon on their latest issue, Spin magazine proves to be only about a decade late. I mean, is this news? Have they sent one single journalist to a Moz gig recently? Where is the early nineties Spin with Celia Farber, Mark Blackwell and Jim Greer?
    The Internet killed music mags.
    Anonymous -- Thursday July 04 2002, @02:20PM (#33082)
  • Dear Latinos,

Have you seen Dave Carnie lately?

--Marcus the F'n Student

Allright clones, before anyone gets offended, let me just say this email is meant to poke fun at Dave Carnie's (reviewed 02 convention in cheap rag) ignorance, and Marcus' (asked jake about Moz) tendency to ask stupid questions.
    Jim Rome -- Friday July 05 2002, @01:04AM (#33102)
    (User #720 Info | http://www.jimrome.com/)
    ...and how?
  • I thought it was cool enough when I started realizing how many Latino fans Moz has but now they are getting him press! Thank you Latino Moz fans for all of the support you give Morrissey! We share an idol and hopefully we will share a few live shows too! :)
    Viva Esteban!!!
    MOZ IS GOD -- Friday July 05 2002, @04:41AM (#33111)
    (User #3249 Info | http://www.myspace.com/coldwarspies)
  • I thought the article was okay but mmmmm can someone please tell why the "NUMBER ONE MORRISSEY FAN SARAH" has to lie and pretend to be something that shes not (well at least in my eyes, sorry hun once a poser always a poser) I think she should get joses face on her back and go back to her ghetto hoochie days and leave Morrissey alone!
    Still Docked -- Friday July 05 2002, @04:05PM (#33145)
    (User #869 Info)
    I want to live and I want to love
  • I subscribe to Spin. I was thumbing through the magazine when I came across a beautiful pompadore and knew the article had to be about Morrissey. It is a great article and I must say Morrissey's fans are beautiful people...
    Perfection-MOZ <[email protected]> -- Sunday July 07 2002, @12:46PM (#33217)
    (User #1729 Info)
    I looked into the ocean and saw my reflection. I knew then I was one with the sea.
  • After reading spin's article Viva Morrissey I came to the conclusion of the devotion of some people to clasify an ethnic group and its likings.Like if you have to do extensive research to explain tis "so called phenomena" To try to explain the relation of an English singer to the diverse rich cultural population in the other corner of the wolrd you should not look that far. To try to justify the similarity of migration that moz and his devotees have in order to explain why Latinos like Moz is plain stupid. So yes, there was a chicano movement, the zoot zoot riot, greasers, muscle cars, elvis in mexico, james dean, and reading the outsiders in junior high english class, yet it was holding to our strong roots and our blind Americanization. But why go too deep? The fact that my early encounter with the smiths/morrissey was back in 1992 in the backyard of my friend as he cut my hair and drinking a beer in the beautiful; city of South Gate CA (miles away from east LA where the gangsters lived) An era of taking a hit, ditching school and riding to you friend's house party where the only music you heard was 80's flashbacks and house music, (yeah latinos started the underground movement of house music in LA) Listen I was born/raised here and I like the smiths/morrissey. It's part of my youth and still listen to him regularly. The fact that he makes great music can be the reason its popular and not only among latinos because that would be segregation and segregation leads to racism and you don't want to be called a Racist do you? My other theory is that white kids in America could not relate to Moz lyrics and mucic because they lack identity of culture and would rather listen to Korn and Blink 182.
    Anonymous -- Monday July 08 2002, @02:22PM (#33291)
  • I thought that the article was absurd, one of the biggest disappointments was saying that Moz would be non existent if it weren't for his Latin fans. Re-read this piece and you'll see that there are many holes in the story!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday July 09 2002, @02:02PM (#33384)

[ home | terms of service ]