posted by davidt on Wednesday August 08 2001, @09:00AM
charles byron sends the link:

The Last Word - Alistair Fitchett

From the main Tangents page:
I always remember a page in a fanzine that I bought in the 1980s for the lines it reprinted from a letter the fanzine's author had received. It said, in big bright red letters: 'don't give in! - There are those who understand…' That fanzine, and those words in particular always meant a lot to me, were ones I could always come back to and gain strength from. I've since considered myself immeasurably lucky to have received communications from individuals which have said much the same, or at least have made me feel that at least some of the words that I have written down the years have connected with people, have maybe made some sort of a difference to people. And as I say, I feel immeasurably lucky to be able to say that.

Of course, as is the way of the world, I have also occasionally received words from people who have singularly failed to connect, or agree with whatever I have written/said. This I accept as part of the process of putting my opinions in the public arena, open for interpretation and to perhaps instigate debate. And although I know that for the most part I ought to simply leave those critics to go on their merry ways, sometimes the sense of being totally misunderstood and misinterpreted is just too great, and I fall foul of the need to try and make things clearer. Such is the drive behind The Last Word, a piece that attempts at least in part, to respond to the torrents of abuse I have had (publicly on the guestbook) and even more so privately (through emails) in the past few weeks from Morrissey/Smiths fans responding to the Miserable Lie article I wrote way back in June. Feel free to ignore the article if the idea of more discussion on the subject bores you to tears.
---
Sounds like some of you really got under his skin. On a side note, why is it so difficult for some people to put a simple link to this site? The mouseover to Morrissey-solo in the article reads "go there if you must..."

Related items:
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Morrissey Fans (Score:2, Insightful)

I don't blame this poor guy. In fact, I feel ashamed for the way Morrissey fans act. Some of us tend to jump down others' throats when they say anything that doesn't concurr exactly with our view of The Man. The truth is, for all of us Morrissey is more fantasy created in our heads than a real person, so when someone attacks Morrissey, the more maladjusted among us take it personally. I don't claim to really know him, but I'm glad that I can see that Morrissey's not perfect. I love his music and I love things he says. His self-deprecation is an essential ingredient of his genius. If it wasn't for that, his would come off as excruciatingly vain. I think he's aware of his faults, and uses them as fodder for great interviews. The man is loaded with pathos, but I refuse to be more serious about him than he is about himself.
    jessesamuel -- Wednesday August 08 2001, @09:59AM (#16471)
    (User #1984 Info)
    On an occasion of this kind it becomes more than a moral duty to speak one's mind. It becomes a pleasure. -O.W.
    • Re:Morrissey Fans (Score:2, Insightful)

Jessesamuel- I totally agree with you.

Fans need to really calm down when someone is saying something ignorant about him or his music, and let them sink down into their ignorance, let them look like a total a**. Morrissey is just human, he is like everyone, he has insercurities, as I do. He maybe my idol, but I think Morrissey wants us to have our own minds and let us think for ourselves. The reason Morrissey has a strong fan base is because he is the same as we are, JUST human. And his music has been the soundtrack to my life, but I don't live by lyrics.

Anna
      Broccoli Spears.
      broccoli_spears -- Wednesday August 08 2001, @08:57PM (#16525)
      (User #3308 Info)
      We don't do crack. We don't do that. Crack is whack. - Whitney Houston
  • Alistair is either really bored or really obsessed.
    He dissed Moz, we dissed him, he dissed us, we dissed him. Will it ever end? Will he ever just get over it? Will WE ever get over it?
                Signed, Aggravated in New York
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 08 2001, @09:49PM (#16529)
  • drawn by Haring. Is that the comment? Has somebody hacked this site, but in an odd, pop-arty way? Que pasa?
    David T (different) -- Thursday August 09 2001, @04:31AM (#16542)
    (User #256 Info)
    david_t[at]boltblue.com
  • this dude is bugging me.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 09 2001, @04:41AM (#16545)
  • "...have made me feel that at least some of the words that I have written down the years have connected with people, have maybe made some sort of a difference to people. And as I say, I feel immeasurably lucky to be able to say that."

Most people hadn't heard of this guy before Moz-solo - the pretentious content of the above statement defies belief.
    His continued responses on this site make me wonder about his own insecurities - if he had confidence in his own literacy he would have disappeared by now.
    Perhaps he's enjoyed his fifteen minutes of fame a little too much and Morrissey-solo should not continue to offer him free publicity and increased web-traffic.
    English Martyr -- Thursday August 09 2001, @11:05AM (#16566)
    (User #655 Info | http://website.lineone.net/~smilingontim/timstwin.htm)
  • Enough is too much.

hand in glove -- Friday August 10 2001, @03:00PM (#16617)
    (User #827 Info)
    "Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together" - Marilyn Monroe
  • Perhaps Mr.F. can understand this.I believe the fans reacted to you in such a way is because they hold this music so dear to their hearts.But in no way am I condoning the abuse you received.

Maybe you`ll understand this.Many people have connected with Morrissey`s music(including myself) and it has made a difference in our lives.This is why they so staunchly defended him.As you `ve said yourself there have been words in the past that you`ve connected with.This is why I believe Morrissey fans are so loyal.Because we have been so deeply affected by his music.
    tibby -- Saturday August 11 2001, @08:36PM (#16664)
    (User #2713 Info)
    ~I am a poor freezingly cold soul so far from where I intended to go ~I love Morrissey

[ home | terms of service ]