Pet Shop Boys

What're their best albums?
What B-sides are worth tracking down?
What should I avoid?

I've just finished listening to their PopArt album and fancy a 'proper' album now.

best Album - Very (even though it may not have any of their "hit songs", I find every song on that album good, unlike most of their early albums, which would have some great songs and a lot of filler. Behavior is good, and has two good tracks with Johnny Marr (My October Symphony and This Must Be The Place I've Waited Years To Leave).

For B-sides, get the Alternative album it has all of them from 85-95.

I like The Pet Shop boys, i like that song 'Domino Dancing' and 'West End Girls', i'm sorry i dont know much about they're albums, but they are good! :)

I rate all their albums from Please to Very (including Disco) as essential for anyone who's particularly into the PSB. I have a soft spot for Bilingual, but beyond that I think it's all quite nice, but pretty inessential.
Alternative is a great compilation for b-sides etc, but make sure you get Disco as well.

I agree with SNS22. Very is my favorite PSB album. I can see why some people getting into PSB may not buy Very because, like SNS22 said, it doesn't have the big hits like West End Girls or Opportunities. Still, Very is a solid album all the way through.

Again, I agree with SNS22 and j0wled about Alternative. I think that PSB are one of the best b-side bands out there. Other than a few bad b-sides like If Love Were All, The Sound of the Atom Splitting, What Keeps Mankind Alive, or Euroboy, the rest of the songs is awesome. I especially love In The Night, Jack The Lad, Don Juan, Miserabilism, Hey, Headmaster, One of the Crowd (Chris Lowe with vocoded vocals), and Your Funny Uncle.

However, I also love Bilingual, Nightlife, and Release (Johnny Marr plays the guitar on seven songs for Release), but Release isn't your typical PSB's album. As you can tell with Marr playing on seven songs, it's more of a guitar-oriented album with some decent electro tracks like Home & Dry, The Samurai in Autumn (killer synths), and Here (very cool synth song).

Even Fundamental, their latest album, is PSB going back in time.

However, if you want that classic PSB sound, then go with Please to Very, as j0wled suggest.

My favourite one is 'Introspective' followed by 'Behaviour'.

As mentioned 'Alternative' is also excellent, although some of the of the 'bad' tracks you've highlighted I quite like! Nice to see them go beyond the boundaries so to speak.

Last edited:
What're their best albums?
What B-sides are worth tracking down?
What should I avoid?

I've just finished listening to their PopArt album and fancy a 'proper' album now.
PetShopBoysActually.jpg

an awesome b-side comp is
PetShopBoysAlternative.jpg

it has one of my fave songs of theirs:
Shameless*
Euroboy(Chris sings!)
What keeps mankind alive?(gr8 english language cover of Bertolt Brecht

*=Shameless is also in their musical! "Closer to Heaven" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closer_to_Heaven

Fundamental is excellent. Very is probably my favorite, but Nightlife is overlooked.

If I were to give something to a new fan it might have lots of early stuff. My favorite Pet Shop Boys song is "Kings Cross".

I like all of their music though and listen to every track. I have some b-sides and lots of remixes too. I should post a few.

I can't really rank them all. It depends on my mood. The records seemed to get more personal and a little deeper as they go on. Not sure other fans would agree, but the earlier stuff is more pop and the later stuff is more, almost singer-songwriter but without so much guitar.

They are just about my favorite group. I've been told "please don't play the pet shop boys again". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with SNS22. Very is my favorite PSB album. I can see why some people getting into PSB may not buy Very because, like SNS22 said, it doesn't have the big hits like West End Girls or Opportunities. Still, Very is a solid album all the way through.

Again, I agree with SNS22 and j0wled about Alternative. I think that PSB are one of the best b-side bands out there. Other than a few bad b-sides like If Love Were All, The Sound of the Atom Splitting, What Keeps Mankind Alive, or Euroboy, the rest of the songs is awesome. I especially love In The Night, Jack The Lad, Don Juan, Miserabilism, Hey, Headmaster, One of the Crowd (Chris Lowe with vocoded vocals), and Your Funny Uncle.

However, I also love Bilingual, Nightlife, and Release (Johnny Marr plays the guitar on seven songs for Release), but Release isn't your typical PSB's album. As you can tell with Marr playing on seven songs, it's more of a guitar-oriented album with some decent electro tracks like Home & Dry, The Samurai in Autumn (killer synths), and Here (very cool synth song).

Even Fundamental, their latest album, is PSB going back in time.

However, if you want that classic PSB sound, then go with Please to Very, as j0wled suggest.

Your Funny Uncle might be my favorite PSB song.

Behaviour is a great album with such tracks as the gorgeous "October Symphony" with guitar by Johnny Marr and "Being Boring" is awesome too!

it's not Neil singing but it's a great version anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrMZyRcKcQo

I'm not sure whether you know this already but the "Electronic" song "Getting away with it" is about Morrissey and his miserabalism in particular in the way that he wears it so proudly on his sleeve yet he draws so many people in with it rather than scaring them off, hence he gets away with it. Neil put it better than that when I read it in an interview but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ues1wzGTZG4

Last edited:
Miseralbism is Not About Morrissey nor is "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously"

Yeah good album. I saw the Fundamental tour in NYC a couple years back. It was awesome.
These two random gay dudes got me so damn stoned at intermission. Haha.

:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom